The Daily for Tuesday Oct 6, 2020

3 hours ago, kazu said:

I was outside labelling all my dahlia stems yesterday to prep for the time they get dug up and got a very nice surprise 🙂. A new dahlia that I had planted had done nothing and all of a sudden, late in the season look what I find:

DA67B8F8-5933-4C8C-8889-EC1D85F7133E.thumb.jpeg.99396c5f7037b3ee2cc14860fb8605bc.jpeg

It should have many more blooms next year  

Reminds me of a jack-o-lantern with the candle flickering inside.  But I agree that it also looks like candy corn. It’s been many years since I had any candy corn. Roy’s watermelon gazpacho sounds better. 

Thanks Rich for the DAILY and thanks to all other contributors.  I get e-mail offers from Celebrity each day but nothing from HAL.  Wish they would annonce a PRIVATE SAIL!

24 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

Do you take Lisinopril for high blood pressure?  --- it's notorious for causing a cough.

No, I don't.  PA thinks we should try some antihistamine and nasal spray just in case it's something as simple as I've developed allergies which I haven't had before, ever.  Thanks for thinking of that though.  DH takes Lisinopril and doesn't have the cough, lucky for him.  

Good morning! Thanks to all who have posted and to those that will post later. Hats off to all Physician Assistants and to the Mad Hatter. My garage and basement need to be cleaned, so  Come and take it!

Ah....the child in all of us needs to come out sometimes!

Love the meal suggestion, but we shall see what is on hand.

3 hours ago, kazu said:

DA67B8F8-5933-4C8C-8889-EC1D85F7133E.thumb.jpeg.99396c5f7037b3ee2cc14860fb8605bc.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

IMG_5229.thumb.jpeg.2fcbdbf36af2dffa51a337c7e4379113.jpeg

Beautiful flowers, ladies! Thanks for sharing.

Blessings to all! Have a wonderful day!

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask!

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Brisk here this morning and it is due to cool off more this weekend. I have had sprinklers blown out, so am not worried about a hard freeze. But we need rain. Dinner here will be stew, but beef, not chicken. I am trying to reduce the contents of the freezer. Need to restock for winter. Would much rather be having someone else fix my meals - not to mention wash the dishes.

Susan

And don't forget having someone to make your bed and scour your bathroom!  What's not to like about that?😉

Good morning all! 
The most important PA in my life is my hard-working son-in-law Ryan. He’s been recognized a few times in the Seattle area for his work. How he manages to be an excellent husband to our daughter, fabulous father to our grandsons, and give so much to his work and patients amazes me. 

Thought I would add a photo of our mad hatter crazy rose bush.  This bush blooms from May to November. Definitely not fall-ish looking lol but it’s crazy. 

3D4F414B-38B7-490B-AA6F-FD7566D17895.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all! 
The most important PA in my life is my hard-working son-in-law Ryan. He’s been recognized a few times in the Seattle area for his work. How he manages to be an excellent husband to our daughter, fabulous father to our grandsons, and give so much to his work and patients amazes me. 

Thought I would add a photo of our mad hatter crazy rose bush.  This bush blooms from May to November. Definitely not fall-ish looking lol but it’s crazy. 

3D4F414B-38B7-490B-AA6F-FD7566D17895.jpeg

Gorgeous!

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites, and thank you,  Rich and Roy,  and also all the others with information and photos.  If Jacqui's dahlia is the same as ours, it is called Clyde's Choice, but I do think Candy Corn would be an even better name!  And very seasonal.  We are on our way out to church, and after to the mall for a coffee, and I plan to ask the pharmacist in the drug store when our flu shots will be in.  I see they are in in Ontario.  It always takes longer to get all the way out west.

Our dahlia -

IMG_5229.thumb.jpeg.2fcbdbf36af2dffa51a337c7e4379113.jpeg

Very pretty, Ann 🙂 

In October 2011 I started one of my stranger combinations.  I set sail October 1 through the Erie Canal on a Blount Small Ship Adventures from New York to Montreal (well most of it; floods had damaged a section of the canal and Blount was lucky enough to have a ship on each side of the break), then boarded the Crystal Symphony to take the ocean route back to New York.  October 6 was the day we had the bus bridge between ships and the sun came up very nicely over Little Falls, New York:

surnrislk7.jpg

Roy

4 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Jacqui, not sure what the name of that Dahlia is, but it should be Candy Corn! How gorgeous and appropriate for October.

It’s called Peaches and Cream IIRC, cat.  

It has different variations in the different flowers when it is older.  

Continuing on my way towards the Trans Siberian Railroad my first international travel day was March 16 (2003).  The day got off to a pretty early start boarding Amtrak's Adirondack to Montreal at 9:45AM, arriving that evening at 7:40.  There was still quite a bit of ice on the Hudson.

wrld0040.jpg.43a27b3e162bdf5ed4f5d35c99e242e7.jpg

I had planned on a couple of days in Montreal before boarding my freighter and booked a hotel for 2 nights.  My parents grew up south of Montreal and several cousins still live in the little town of Howick.  I picked up a rental car and crossed the Mercier Bridge to the south shore.  I had just heard about a new disease emerging in China and stopped at a store on the way picking up a few things including hand sanitizer before visiting my first cousin.  We talked for about an hour before I left to have lunch with a second cousin.  I had a nice lunch there before heading back to Montreal.  The first cousin sent out the only email of the trip that I did not send.

"

Date: Monday, March 17, 2003 9:13 PM

I saw Roy today. He dropped in at my home in Howick this morning on his way
to another cousin's home for lunch. He asked me pass along the news that he
arrived in Montreal safely and that he made it to Howick to visit family. He
looks well and was not even using a cane when I saw him. He will be boarding
the freighter on Tuesday afternoon or early the next morning depending on
sailing time on Wednesday.
I look forward to Roy's next message as I am sure you do.
Evie"

Roy

Good morning All,

Actually, it’s afternoon here. And it’s finally a decent temperature.😁

The contractor just left- he installed our new skylight. A very naughty crow pecked a hole in the previous one. Am glad I happened to be home, or we would not have noticed until at least the first significant rain. 

Am now halfway through deep cleaning the rest of the house, then will power wash outside, and maybe wash windows.  We still have lots of ash from the fires. 

Come and Get It Day makes me think of a barbecue meal prepared for a crowd: ribs, pulled pork, coleslaw and potato salad, and baked beans for those who like those sorts of things.

Mad Hatter Day- perhaps a tribute to milliners of bygone days? The term came about due to the dangerous chemicals they were subjected to: mercury to felt beaver pelts, arsenic and lead in dyes.

There was a very interesting exhibit at the Legion of Honor in SF a few years ago. It featured extant hats and paintings of many of the impressionists. Some costumer friends and I flew up for it for a few days. It was so interesting. 

https://legionofhonor.famsf.org/degas-impressionism-and-paris-millinery-trade

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/07/10/degas-at-legion/amp/

Edited by TiogaCruiser

Sorry late to the Party, at the dentist!  Our numbers are climbing too, scary! 

Thanks Roy for Gold Nobel prize in medicine that went to three doctor From our Province for the work they did around HepatitisC!  

Thos dahlias are stunning,   cat shepherd that wine sounds great, we’ve had those in northern Italy and yum!  

Fatcat,  yikes,  with a two week baby!  I had a stone this Valentine’s Day. And yikes! 

Would have been beginning our French Polynesia cruise yesterday on the Pacific Princess, maybe one day! 

image.thumb.jpeg.007e885f790a2f4195ca432af0cf5119.jpeg

Great evening read again. Thanks for all the posts.  Will have to tell my daughter who is a PA happy belated PA day tomorrow when I get the grandkids for school.  Our TA
applied our FCC and OBC that came from the cruise we had booked on the Veendam to a  cruise today.   A good feeling to have a cruise in the my future!  Hopefully😊

Looking forward to tomorrow’s report.

14 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

No, I don't.  PA thinks we should try some antihistamine and nasal spray just in case it's something as simple as I've developed allergies which I haven't had before, ever.  Thanks for thinking of that though.  DH takes Lisinopril and doesn't have the cough, lucky for him.  

Ding, ding, ding!!  That's exactly what happened to me at age 53.  I never had allergies then developed a nasty long lasting (months) cough.  They finally had me take Benadryl antihistamine at night and another non drowsy one in the day (so really a double dose) and Flonase.  It worked!!  Now I just need to take Benadryl when I feel it coming on again. Good luck!   

~Nancy

5 hours ago, oakridger said:

Ding, ding, ding!!  That's exactly what happened to me at age 53.  I never had allergies then developed a nasty long lasting (months) cough.  They finally had me take Benadryl antihistamine at night and another non drowsy one in the day (so really a double dose) and Flonase.  It worked!!  Now I just need to take Benadryl when I feel it coming on again. Good luck!   

~Nancy

Thank you for relating your experience.  I hope I am as lucky as you are so I can be done with this cough.  It comes out of nowhere and in the age of the coronavirus, people are not pleased when a person near them begins to cough.  Not that I go very many places.  In the 9 years we've lived in this home I have never spent so much time, month after month, as we have this year!!