Of Times Remembered

lenquixote66

I have a neighbor who is nearing 90 as is his wife.They are in excellent health and have been cruising 8 to 10 times a year since retiring,primarily on RCI and NCL ships. Earlier today we were both outdoors and had a brief conversation.He told me that he had a conversation recently with his TA who told him that it is very likely that the majority of people cruising when mask wearing and social distancing are still required will be young people. My neighbor said that he was told that elevators will have a maximum of 2 people at a time  and that two will be for disabled people only.

We then spent a few moments remembering when we began cruising and most of the people were elderly.

40 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have a neighbor who is nearing 90 as is his wife.They are in excellent health and have been cruising 8 to 10 times a year since retiring,primarily on RCI and NCL ships. Earlier today we were both outdoors and had a brief conversation.He told me that he had a conversation recently with his TA who told him that it is very likely that the majority of people cruising when mask wearing and social distancing are still required will be young people. My neighbor said that he was told that elevators will have a maximum of 2 people at a time  and that two will be for disabled people only.

We then spent a few moments remembering when we began cruising and most of the people were elderly.

That TA is clueless. If anyone will wear a mask and social distance, it will be us geezers.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

That TA is clueless. If anyone will wear a mask and social distance, it will be us geezers.

Based on what I read on various forums here on CC on any given day, I disagree --- I see quite a number of older cruisers saying that they will not cruise while requirements call for wearing masks and social distancing. These seem to come from somewhat different feelings of either:

• If I have to wear a mask and social distance, it means that in reality it is not safe for me to cruise, particularly as an older person more vulnerable to COVID; or
  • Wearing a mask and social distancing would be too much of a stretch for me -- the cruising experience would not be enough like what I have enjoyed over the past XX years with these restrictions for me to be interested in participating.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Based on what I read on various forums here on CC on any given day, I disagree --- I see quite a number of older cruisers saying that they will not cruise while requirements call for wearing masks and social distancing. These seem to come from somewhat different feelings of either:

• If I have to wear a mask and social distance, it means that in reality it is not safe for me to cruise, particularly as an older person more vulnerable to COVID; or
  • Wearing a mask and social distancing would be too much of a stretch for me -- the cruising experience would not be enough like what I have enjoyed over the past XX years with these restrictions for me to be interested in participating.

As I have said previously,to me wearing a mask and social distancing is not a vacation.

With the exception of going to doctors offices and hospitals I have not been out in 8 months.I hope to be able to cruise one more time but not with restrictions.

22 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Also I can't help feeling that the types of cruises that will be offered initially (e.g., 5-7 days; limited ports) are not going to respond to a number of older cruisers who are used to longer and more interesting voyages.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Also I can't help feeling that the types of cruises that will be offered initially (e.g., 5-7 days; limited ports) are not going to respond to a number of older cruisers who are used to longer and more interesting voyages.

It sure seems like the initial cruises are going to be more social experiences than itinerary driven.  I guess if that is what it takes to break the ice then I hope they are successful -- whenever or where ever they happen.  I sure look forward to the days when we can book for the places.  

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

As I have said previously,to me wearing a mask and social distancing is not a vacation.

With the exception of going to doctors offices and hospitals I have not been out in 8 months.I hope to be able to cruise one more time but not with restrictions.

Speaking of restrictions, in my county restaurants are now allowed to have inside seating with reduced capacity.   Our governor says we should take the mask off to take a bite, then put the mask back on while we chew.  Fortunately right now its is just a suggestion (I think).   That probably won't stop the state from spending several million on consultants to study the chewing/mask conundrum.  😋    

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, ldubs said:

Speaking of restrictions, in my county restaurants are now allowed to have inside seating with reduced capacity.   Our governor says we should take the mask off to take a bite, then put the mask back on while we chew.  Fortunately right now its is just a suggestion (I think).   That probably won't stop the state from spending several million on consultants to study the chewing/mask conundrum.  😋    

I once worked for a company in NYC that hired a computer software consulting company in Chicago with the design to save the company money.Besides paying them an unbelievable amount to do this as well as their airfare ,hotel stay and restaurant costs for their once a month visit just to convey to the employees that they did not know what to do with their money.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 6:34 PM, ldubs said:

There has been many unscientific and suspect suggestions and recommendations for unproven as well as dangerous treatments in fighting Covid-19.  This one by your Governor joins those.  

Imagine this scenario:  a patron puts a spoonful of Lobster Bisque in his/her mouth.  After replacing his/her mask, some of the soup dribbles out of the mouth and soils the mask.  The mask has to be removed.  The restaurant manager seeing this asks:  "why are you not wearing your mask while you are dining?"  Response from the guest:  "it's dirty and can't be used anymore."  A new excuse for not wearing a mask?   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

.....The restaurant manager seeing this asks:  "why are you not wearing your mask while you are dining?"  Response from the guest:  "it's dirty and can't be used anymore."  A new excuse for not wearing a mask?   

No. You left out the next part of the story:

Restaurant manager hands patron a disposable mask from the stack they have for just this (and other) purposes.

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

There has been many unscientific and suspect suggestions and recommendations for unproven as well as dangerous treatments in fighting Covid-19.  This one by your Governor joins those.  

Imagine this scenario:  a patron puts a spoonful of Lobster Bisque in his/her mouth.  After replacing his/her mask, some of the soup dribbles out of the mouth and soils the mask.  The mask has to be removed.  The restaurant manager seeing this asks:  "why are you not wearing your mask while you are dining?"  Response from the guest:  "it's dirty and can't be used anymore."  A new excuse for not wearing a mask?   

The restaurant could have disposable masks to give to patrons.

Today I was at a doctors office for a Consultation . There was a sign on the entree door stating that everyone entering must wear a mask and gloves.My wife and I wore both but when we entered we saw a box of masks and a box of gloves.I can see a restaurant doing this as well.

On 10/7/2020 at 3:34 PM, ldubs said:

Our governor says we should take the mask off to take a bite, then put the mask back on while we chew.  

11 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

I would go a step further and force people to use that mask as a napkin also.

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Just imagine the senior breakfast hour at Denny's and a bunch of oldies like me get it backwards!  Oh, the horror!  hahaha

On 10/7/2020 at 6:34 PM, ldubs said:

Our governor says we should take the mask off to take a bite, then put the mask back on while we chew.  Fortunately right now its is just a suggestion (I think).     

13 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Both of these statements scream to me "It's too soon to eat in restaurants!" Especially if you have to wear a mask EXCEPT when putting a bite of food in your mouth.

Honestly, if there is still that much risk of infection, we should not be eating in restaurants.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Both of these statements scream to me "It's too soon to eat in restaurants!" Especially if you have to wear a mask EXCEPT when putting a bite of food in your mouth.

Honestly, if there is still that much risk of infection, we should not be eating in restaurants.

Well put - similarly, the necessity of wearing masks and social distancing on board ship indicates to me that we should not be cruising (especially when, despite that perceived necessity, you can be virtually certain that there will be a significant percentage of fellow passengers ignoring such protocols - making your own compliance something of an exercise in futility).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I agree.  If a mask is needed between bites I won't be dining out.  However, this is not a real part of our public health guidelines for dining in restaurants.  It was posted on social media and I suspect from some over zealous staffer in our Gov's office.   Though if it receives enough press, I won't be surprised if it becomes a new law.  

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

My wife and I have no desire to eat in restaurants yet although many people that we know are including family members.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Today I was at a doctors office for a Consultation . There was a sign on the entree door stating that everyone entering must wear a mask and gloves.My wife and I wore both but when we entered we saw a box of masks and a box of gloves.I can see a restaurant doing this as well.

Lenny, we help to look after 2 small, old village churches (in England, most villages have a Church of England/Episcopal church ), which have small congregations. The rules are huge- no unnecessary talking, no singing, pews roped off etc. We have to provide a full box of masks and one of gloves, along with sanitiser and paper for names and addresses for tracing. 

So far, only one mask has been used, but we still have had to produce another completely full box...

1 hour ago, jocap said:

Lenny, we help to look after 2 small, old village churches (in England, most villages have a Church of England/Episcopal church ), which have small congregations. The rules are huge- no unnecessary talking, no singing, pews roped off etc. We have to provide a full box of masks and one of gloves, along with sanitiser and paper for names and addresses for tracing. 

So far, only one mask has been used, but we still have had to produce another completely full box...

Places of worship in the area where I live are the same.