Of Times Remembered

lenquixote66

8 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

If you are an oldie than rkacruiser and I being the same age must be ancient.😀

I  just consider you the more eminent ranking members of the club!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Perhaps you might present some sort of yardstick by which each of us could categorize where we fit relative to others.  Perhaps something like:

95+ On the brink

90+ Heading for the exit

85+ Showing signs

80+ Slowing down

75+ Fully ripe

70+ Golden age

65+ Newly retired

60+ Mature

55+ Experienced

50+ Grown up

Below 50 - A long way to go

14 minutes ago, ldubs said:

My late father-in-law was still swimming five days a week at the Y well after his 90th birthday. Get a grip, kiddos 🙂

Edited by clo
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Perhaps you might present some sort of yardstick by which each of us could categorize where we fit relative to others.  Perhaps something like:

95+ On the brink

90+ Heading for the exit

85+ Showing signs

80+ Slowing down

75+ Fully ripe

70+ Golden age

65+ Newly retired

60+ Mature

55+ Experienced

50+ Grown up

50+??  No kids allowed!  Otherwise, I prefer to think simply that some members of the club are more experienced than others!  

I always thought being age advantaged would allow me to get away with a lot of stuff, aka Norman Thayer.  Mrs Ldubs rolls her eyes a lot.  haha.    

Edited by ldubs

24 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

95+ On the brink

90+ Heading for the exit

85+ Showing signs

80+ Slowing down

75+ Fully ripe

70+ Golden age

65+ Newly retired

60+ Mature

55+ Experienced

50+ Grown up

I like this ,it makes me feel not that old.

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

Haha, far from it.  

I hope.  God of Mercy, let it be so.

3 minutes ago, clo said:

My late father-in-law was still swimming five days a week at the Y well after his 90th birthday. Get a grip, kiddos 🙂

Some of us have been blessed with better physical ability than others as we become senior.  I recently shared a MDR table with a gentleman with whom I had dined during a previous cruise.  Louie is 90.  Louie does not look 90.  Louie does not move/walk like he is 90.  Louie's health, at 90, is good.  I am not 90 and my health is good.  Yet, I am loosing the physical abilities that Louie has.  I have "worked out".  I walk.  My genes are different than Louie's.  It's a lesson that I am having to learn.  And, it's not easy.  What ought to be my "new normal" with regard to travel of any type regardless of the future course of this pandemic?  I am not going to be "Louie" as much as I might want to be.  What is a reasonable and safe future travel path for rkacruiser?  

18 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

At one time I believed you to be closer in age to me.

Chronologically you have a few on me.  But it sure seems we share a lot of the same experiences/memories.   

44 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

At one time I believed you to be closer in age to me.

You have to understand relativity — when I was one year old my older sister was five times as old as I was — now she is way less than twice as old — it sure seems that I am catching up with her - perhaps by aging faster?

I doubled my age - increasing it an annual rate of 100% - from my first birthday to my second - while hers increased by just over 15% in the course of the same year.

Edited by navybankerteacher

55 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I hope.  God of Mercy, let it be so.

Some of us have been blessed with better physical ability than others as we become senior.  I recently shared a MDR table with a gentleman with whom I had dined during a previous cruise.  Louie is 90.  Louie does not look 90.  Louie does not move/walk like he is 90.  Louie's health, at 90, is good.  I am not 90 and my health is good.  Yet, I am loosing the physical abilities that Louie has.  I have "worked out".  I walk.  My genes are different than Louie's.  It's a lesson that I am having to learn.  And, it's not easy.  What ought to be my "new normal" with regard to travel of any type regardless of the future course of this pandemic?  I am not going to be "Louie" as much as I might want to be.  What is a reasonable and safe future travel path for rkacruiser?  

A guy who I met on a cruise passed away 2 years ago at age 101.At 99 he was still cruising and he was in much better physical shape than I was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

What is a reasonable and safe future travel path for rkacruiser?  

Two of our local hospitals have programs for seniors which I intend to contact and do their things.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, clo said:

Two of our local hospitals have programs for seniors which I intend to contact and do their things.

Have been a part of such.  Participating does have benefits to be sure.  Father Time sometimes has other ideas regardless of what one does.  

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 7:46 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

No. You left out the next part of the story:

Restaurant manager hands patron a disposable mask from the stack they have for just this (and other) purposes.

On 10/9/2020 at 9:26 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Both of these statements scream to me "It's too soon to eat in restaurants!" Especially if you have to wear a mask EXCEPT when putting a bite of food in your mouth.

Honestly, if there is still that much risk of infection, we should not be eating in restaurants.

I must agree with cruisemom42.  A local fine dining restaurant is offering an Octoberfest type entree that I know I would enjoy.  Is a dinner of enjoying that dinner worth the risk of contracting the virus?

Edited by rkacruiser

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2020 at 8:00 PM, rkacruiser said:

I must agree with cruisemom42.  A local fine dining restaurant is offering an Octoberfest type entree that I know I would enjoy.  Is a dinner of enjoying that dinner worth the risk of contracting the virus?

My wife and I just returned from a funeral.We were advised by the family that a maximum of 10 could attend.At the cemetary ,approximately one block from us was another funeral with at least 50 people,non of whom were wearing masks and they were standing unbelievably close together.We passed a few of them on our way to the car 

.They were discussing where to go to eat afterward.I could not believe these people.

Do they think Covid is a hoax ?

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 4:07 PM, lenquixote66 said:

They were discussing where to go to eat afterward.I could not believe these people.

Do they think Covid is a hoax ?

My opinion:  if there is any one issue that must be confronted and resolved whomever enters the White House on January 20, 2021, it is this mind set.