Message from Jack Anderson to Crystal Guests - 6 October

I’m sure everyone will get this from Crystal - but I know some are not receiving emails from them so FYI

MESSAGE FROM JACK ANDERSON

October 6, 2020

Dear Valued Guests,

As you may know, I have been appointed interim president and CEO of Crystal as Tom Wolber has stepped down to focus on family priorities after completion of his three-year contract. While I will be new to this role, I am not new to the cruise industry (more than 30 years) or the Crystal Family. I previously served as vice chairman for Crystal Cruises from 2013-2015 and as senior vice president of marketing and sales before that. Most recently, I have been a part of Crystal’s executive team as an advisor to Tom for the past three years and it has been a pleasure to work alongside him. I want to thank him for his leadership and his mentorship and wish him all the best moving forward. 

It is an honor to be entrusted with Crystal’s stewardship during this transitional time for our company and industry. We are cautiously optimistic for the resumption of cruising worldwide with the successful operations of several cruise ships in Europe and Asia. In the meantime, the Crystal team is continuing preparations for our safe return to cruising in 2021, having just announced our expanded Crystal Clean+ 3.0 health and safety protocols. These initiatives are designed to not only safeguard the experience for guests and crew, but to also offer peace of mind for our guests as you begin exploring again.

Today, I am humbled to share the news that the readers of Condé Nast Traveler have awarded Crystal as one of the cruise industry’s best for a 27th year. Crystal Cruises and its Ocean ships Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity earned first place in the “Best Medium-Ship” category, while Crystal Yacht Cruises’ Crystal Esprit took the top spot in the “Best Small-Ship” category. Crystal River Cruises, which won Travel & Leisure’s World’s Best River Cruise Line this year, was named one of the best river cruise lines. To earn the continued recognition of the world’s most discerning travelers is truly an honor that we do not take lightly. These awards are a testament to the dedication of our officers, staff and crew fleetwide – professionals who welcome every guest aboard as family when they travel with us.

The 2020 awards are especially poignant as we remember and honor the tireless expertise and passionate enthusiasm of Toni Neumeister, our senior vice president of hotel operations who passed away earlier this year. We are grateful for the steady leadership of Tom over the last three years as well as the support of the travel advisor community whose expert knowledge is valued by savvy travelers; all have played critical roles in Crystal’s receipt of these awards.

We know the past several months have certainly not been smooth sailing for Crystal or the industry as a whole. However, we are committed to restoring your trust in us through the ongoing improvement of our shoreside service and by continuing to elevate the experience aboard each and every Crystal ship as we chart a new path forward. 

I look forward to the many journeys that lie ahead and the day when we can welcome our Crystal Family – guests and crew – back on board. In the meantime, thank you for your continued loyalty and support. 

Best Regards,

Jack Anderson 
Interim President & CEO

Edited by Stickman1990

Good to receive a message from the new interim CEO, Mr. Anderson. I do not know what his main tasks are, but even if one of his tasks is to look for suitable buyers for the company, I assume he will have to revert the damage being made to Crystal until now. It is important to recover the trust from clients and partners to allow for new bookings and for rebooking instead of asking for refunds. This can be done with a massive improvement of the refund process. IMHO,  once clients notice Crystal is refunding without having to make claims with Credit Card companies and within the 90 days mentioned at the beginning, new bookings will start again and more rebooking will take place. 

We wish Mr. Anderson luck in this difficult time. We are looking forward to cruising with Crystal again.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
14 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

I’m sure everyone will get this from Crystal - but I know some are not receiving emails from them so FYI

MESSAGE FROM JACK ANDERSON

We know the past several months have certainly not been smooth sailing for Crystal or the industry as a whole. However, we are committed to restoring your trust in us through the ongoing improvement of our shoreside service and by continuing to elevate the experience aboard each and every Crystal ship as we chart a new path forward. 

I look forward to the many journeys that lie ahead and the day when we can welcome our Crystal Family – guests and crew – back on board. In the meantime, thank you for your continued loyalty and support. 

Best Regards,

Jack Anderson 
Interim President & CEO

I appreciate that Anderson acknowledged Crystal’s shipboard culture and the shoreside office cultures are different.  A love-hate relationship has developed in the minds of many loyal customers due to refund issues and lack of current information.

Unfortunately, this prolonged COVID-19 hiatus, combined with Crystal’s depletion of cash and accumulation of debt owed to customers (e.g. refunds & FCCs) creates uncertainty about their path to recovery. 

Will Genting Hong Kong retain, restructure, break-up, divest, or dissolve Crystal?

Is a recovery strategy feasible without substantial increases in prices and surcharges and/ or service revisions and downgrades within their business model and employment policies?

Edited by Jim9310

I think it is in very poor taste to use a recently deceased executive as a virtual prop to elicit sympathy (or is it guilt and pity...I don't know!) for a struggling company.  Maybe some of us feel very differently about how Crystal continues to use Mr. Neumeister's death as a marketing tool, but I personally find this practice both tone-deaf and disgusting.

5 hours ago, Psoque said:

I think it is in very poor taste to use a recently deceased executive as a virtual prop to elicit sympathy (or is it guilt and pity...I don't know!) for a struggling company.  Maybe some of us feel very differently about how Crystal continues to use Mr. Neumeister's death as a marketing tool

Yes some of us clearly see it in a different light - I see it as a mark of respect that Mr Neumeister’s contribution to Crystal is acknowledged. It’s not an attempt to dishonour his memory 

8 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Yes some of us clearly see it in a different light - I see it as a mark of respect that Mr Neumeister’s contribution to Crystal is acknowledged. It’s not an attempt to dishonour his memory 

I am not accusing Crystal of dishonoring his memory.  I am saying that using a previously deceased person to engender sympathy for a company is not something I find acceptable.  Not only this tactic in poor taste, it actually makes Crystal look very desperate.  However, it is very possible that I am not getting it because I have not not drank the Cool-Aid.

On 10/7/2020 at 1:52 PM, Psoque said:

I think it is in very poor taste to use a recently deceased executive as a virtual prop to elicit sympathy (or is it guilt and pity...I don't know!) for a struggling company.  Maybe some of us feel very differently about how Crystal continues to use Mr. Neumeister's death as a marketing tool, but I personally find this practice both tone-deaf and disgusting.

I thought it a very positive statement to acknowledge the contributions of those who are no longer with Crystal, and whose efforts contributed to the  winning of the awards, and is not at all  a guilt/pity marketing tool (which I find a very bizarre concept anyway and highly unlikely to motivate anyone to buy anything let alone a cruise).

14 hours ago, Psoque said:

I am not accusing Crystal of dishonoring his memory.  I am saying that using a previously deceased person

Trying to figure out if there is some other kind of deceased person....subsequently deceased?  Pending deceased?  Soon to be deceased?

Actually, I think a better case could be made for "previously alive".

13 hours ago, TER777 said:

I thought it a very positive statement to acknowledge the contributions of those who are no longer with Crystal, and whose efforts contributed to the  winning of the awards, and is not at all  a guilt/pity marketing tool (which I find a very bizarre concept anyway and highly unlikely to motivate anyone to buy anything let alone a cruise).

PLus 1.  It was wholly appropriate.

While I appreciate Anderson’s comments, I’ve never known an interim CEO to make major changes. An interim is almost always an insider and is there to “keep on keeping on” until a permanent CEO is in place or until a pending merger/buy-out completes. At least in my experience. 

On 10/7/2020 at 3:52 PM, Psoque said:

I suspect you do not know Toni nor Jack Anderson. 

If you did you would NOT question the integrity and intent of Jack Anderson’s message.  

Those of us who know Jack and knew Toni know it was meant to acknowledge the immense positive  impact that the late Toni had on Crystal Cruises.  Toni dedicated his final living hours to Crystal as he did throughout his own career. I am glad Hack acknowledged Toni.

Please think the best in people rather than the worst.   

Keith

16 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I suspect you do not know Toni nor Jack Anderson. 

If you did you would NOT question the integrity and intent of Jack Anderson’s message.  

Those of us who know Jack and knew Toni know it was meant to acknowledge the immense positive  impact that the late Toni had on Crystal Cruises.  Toni dedicated his final living hours to Crystal as he did throughout his own career. I am glad Hack acknowledged Toni.

Please think the best in people rather than the worst.   

Keith

It is correct that I have never met them.  I’m glad that you got to know them.  (Thought I have a customer can really “know” the executives.  Perhaps I’m not cruising correctly???)

Anyways, I also have to say that if I had known both of them, I would be even more upset about how Crystal is using the death of an executive as marketing tool, to “soften” their messages as well as to engender and reinforce the emotional connection some of their customers have with the brand.  I am upset because this dirty trick actually works.  Obviously it has worked extremely well for many of you, to the point you don’t realize how dirty this trick is.

My criticism is not directed toward Mr. Neumeister (who has no control over how Crystal is using his passing as an opportunity) as well as Mr. Anderson (who, I strongly doubt, composed the memo.). I have no reason to doubt their intentions.  I’m just disgusted by how Crystal is repeatedly using a truly tragic event to help itself.

Frankly, I don't think the current cruising market cares about the use of a deceased executive as a sympathy tool. Every cruise company is struggling right now and no amount of advertising, even sympathy garnering, is going to have clients rushing to book. Until Psoque brought it up, I paid zero attention. 

Please mention this to Oceania and their endless piles of glossy brochures they started sending again in August.

Edited by fyree39
1 hour ago, Psoque said:

It is correct that I have never met them.  I’m glad that you got to know them.  (Thought I have a customer can really “know” the executives.  Perhaps I’m not cruising correctly???)

Anyways, I also have to say that if I had known both of them, I would be even more upset about how Crystal is using the death of an executive as marketing tool, to “soften” their messages as well as to engender and reinforce the emotional connection some of their customers have with the brand.  I am upset because this dirty trick actually works.  Obviously it has worked extremely well for many of you, to the point you don’t realize how dirty this trick is.

My criticism is not directed toward Mr. Neumeister (who has no control over how Crystal is using his passing as an opportunity) as well as Mr. Anderson (who, I strongly doubt, composed the memo.). I have no reason to doubt their intentions.  I’m just disgusted by how Crystal is repeatedly using a truly tragic event to help itself.

I don't think that there is one person who posts here that is happy with the way Crystal is handling (or not handling) their refunds, but I might suggest that the doctor prescribe a chill pill to him/her self when he/she is using a description like "dirty trick". Perhaps such chill pill might make you less "disgusted". If venting is helping, then, by all means, go right ahead, but, as a non physician, I don't think the build up of the bile is all that good for you.

7 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

I don't think that there is one person who posts here that is happy with the way Crystal is handling (or not handling) their refunds, but I might suggest that the doctor prescribe a chill pill to him/her self when he/she is using a description like "dirty trick". Perhaps such chill pill might make you less "disgusted". If venting is helping, then, by all means, go right ahead, but, as a non physician, I don't think the build up of the bile is all that good for you.

Thanks for your suggestion, but I was hoping you could actually say something more meaningful than just criticizing my apparent emotional state.  Do better.  Please argue in a more mature manner, how my arguments are totally unreasonable.

2 hours ago, Psoque said:

If you are on the ships long enough often Executives come on board and many from Crystal are visible and it provides an opportunity to get to meet them and overtime get to know many of them.

It's funny how we many different people see things from a different vantage point.

I don't see this at all as Marketing.

After Toni's passing Tom Wolber mentioned him in a tribute and I remember doing likewise on CC and on the Crystal Society Face Book group page as did Crystal and this time Jack Anderson mentioned him.  My perspective is it's not marketing.  Rather it is the high regard that so many people at Crystal had (as did many guests) for Toni. He touched the hearts of many people and was instrumental for so many aspects of Food & Beverage across all the vessels and later on in other areas of the hotel function as his areas of responsibility increased.  He pretty much worked up until the time he passed.

So no I truly believe when his name is mentioned it has nothing to do with Marketing or Sales but rather for the admiration people had, and the sadness of losing someone as dear and special as Toni.

As I mentioned, sometimes its best to look at the best of people IMHO.

Keith

49 minutes ago, Psoque said:

Thanks for your suggestion, but I was hoping you could actually say something more meaningful than just criticizing my apparent emotional state.  Do better.  Please argue in a more mature manner, how my arguments are totally unreasonable.

Maybe not unreasonable, but you might note that you appear to be the only person who found it offensive.

When you tell someone that

-“You need to take a chill pill.”

-“You are seeing the worst in people.”

-“You are the only person who feels that way.”

you are actually trying to invalidate someone’s opinion, which is a classic definition of what we commonly call “gaslighting.” 

4 hours ago, Psoque said:

you are actually trying to invalidate someone’s opinion, which is a classic definition of what we commonly call “gaslighting.” 

The "previously deceased" Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan summed it up quite well decades ago:

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

13 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

The "previously deceased" Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan summed it up quite well decades ago:

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

Um....you can try again???  This is another example of gaslighting.  You are not actually even attempting to actually argue the facts, just repeating a quote to increase your smugness.

41 minutes ago, Psoque said:

Um....you can try again???  This is another example of gaslighting.  You are not actually even attempting to actually argue the facts, just repeating a quote to increase your smugness.

I come here for the polite discourse. I love it here because people are kind, even when they're arguing. Your posts seem more in line with the other boards I visit on CC.

23 hours ago, Psoque said:

When you tell someone that

-“You need to take a chill pill.”

-“You are seeing the worst in people.”

-“You are the only person who feels that way.”

With all due respect your posts were very harsh about the intent of Jack Anderson’s e-mail.  If you don’t want to hear other opinions I would not post or if you do not read responses. I stand by what I said which is to think the best in people because I truly mean from the bottom of my heart that there was no marketing hype. Rather Jack Anderson was acknowledging Toni who was instrumental in So many areas of Crystal and touched so many people from the guests to the vendors to the Crystal team. May Tonii Rest In Peace and May his memory live on including being mentioned from time to time

Keith

12 hours ago, Psoque said:

As a fan of Spinal Tap, I can say that my smugness has been at 11 for many years.

23 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

As a fan of Spinal Tap, I can say that my smugness has been at 11 for many years.

I wanted to pull a quote from Spinal Tap in tribute.  Nothing that came up is suitable for this board...oh well.