Jump to content

Cruise ships being scrapped


Recommended Posts

That IS sad, however, not sad to see some of those old Carnival ships go. I think it was the Paradise that I took from Tampa several years back when 1/2 of the elevators were out of service and the ship looked extremely worn. That being said; there are very few ships that can fit under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge to get in and out of Tampa Bay. I hope there are still a few small ships left that can service this area for a quick run to Mexico.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, voljeep said:

how many ship were going to be sold / scrapped Pre-Corona to make way for the new builds ?

I don't know the number, but in the normal process major cruise lines sell and/or scrap older ships to make way for newer ones. I suppose many of the ships that were scrapped or sold just had their dates forced forward by the financial realities of the pandemic.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jwattle said:

Geez, anti- cruise ship lately Potstech?

Where am I "anti-cruise ship"?  Basically what I expressed was the scrapping a few old ships will not affect  cruising overall.  Sorry you missed that but life goes on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Potstech said:

Where am I "anti-cruise ship"?  Basically what I expressed was the scrapping a few old ships will not affect  cruising overall.  Sorry you missed that but life goes on.

Just sounded cynical, sorry

Link to post
Share on other sites

OP - Thanks for this post.  What an unusual and seldom seen topic.  I learned so much by reading the article.

 

The pictures were sobering!  Makes me thankful for all of the nice cruises I have been so fortunate to enjoy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have felt for a long time that the building of increasing numbers of newer and larger ships would create an over capacity which the cruise industry would not be able to sustain. The coronavirus would appear to have linked in to this situation as cruise lines seek cheaper to run ships to reduce fares and remain competitive.  It is sad the way this has actually happened.

 

Regards John

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, john watson said:

I have felt for a long time that the building of increasing numbers of newer and larger ships would create an over capacity which the cruise industry would not be able to sustain. The coronavirus would appear to have linked in to this situation as cruise lines seek cheaper to run ships to reduce fares and remain competitive.  It is sad the way this has actually happened.

 

 

Carnival Corp executives told stock analysts last week that with the reduced number of ships in the fleets and probably lower occupancy limits in the near future, they believe they can sell all available berths to loyal past passengers and do not have to make much of an effort to attract new cruisers for the next year or so.

 

They also said these limitation on the number of available berths will probably also allow them to raise the prices for cruising.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2020 at 3:17 AM, caribill said:

 

Carnival Corp executives told stock analysts last week that with the reduced number of ships in the fleets and probably lower occupancy limits in the near future, they believe they can sell all available berths to loyal past passengers and do not have to make much of an effort to attract new cruisers for the next year or so.

 

They also said these limitation on the number of available berths will probably also allow them to raise the prices for cruising.

Well that sucks! Airlines want to raise prices cruise companies they are going to price some of us out of the market. Retired and now have to watch my funds. Grateful for all the cruises I did get to do though!

 

Edited by Reader0108598
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not be too concerned.  What Carnival Corp executives tell the stock analysts is based on the best possible outcome for them.  It does not mean that this will be what transpires.   We have absolutely no desire to cruise on a ship that has restrictions in place.  We will select other options before considering that.

 

We have been shopping for two different international air fares next Sept/Oct.  So far, both destinations that we are interested in are priced as they have been over the past two years.   Not buying today of course and anything can happen to prices between now and next  Aug when we will book.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Those Fantasy Class Carnival Ships we've all done back in the day, including the Carnival Fantasy itself needed scrapped. Great decisions by Carnival. They have a few I think they call them Vista Class ships they can toss those too. 

Princess has the Sun class ships, every ship Princess has that's not Grand Class or Royal Class needs to be turned into an artificial reef somewhere on the bottom of ocean.😉 Later Todd

Edited by TTEllis
Typo
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2020 at 11:09 AM, Cruiserkenn said:

OP - Thanks for this post.  What an unusual and seldom seen topic.  I learned so much by reading the article.

 

The pictures were sobering!  Makes me thankful for all of the nice cruises I have been so fortunate to enjoy.

Those pictures were of ships that were junk anyway. If there's any consolation when it comes to the cruise industry, when it starts up again we don't have to see much less cruise on a bunch of completely worn out and run into the ground cruise ships. What a breath of fresh air for everybody especially the cruise lines, I bet they're elated those old ships are no longer part of "the fleet". 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TTEllis said:

Those pictures were of ships that were junk anyway. If there's any consolation when it comes to the cruise industry, when it starts up again we don't have to see much less cruise on a bunch of completely worn out and run into the ground cruise ships. What a breath of fresh air for everybody especially the cruise lines, I bet they're elated those old ships are no longer part of "the fleet". 

The Vista class will stick around because all those balcony cabins command a good price.

The slab sided Sun and Fantasy class with few balconies from the '90's are no longer competitive. But scuttle at sea, no. They retain value as scrapping is a profitable, albeit dangerous, business.

 

Edited by mtnesterz
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

The Vista class will stick around because all those balcony cabins command a good price.

The slab sided Sun and Fantasy class with few balconies from the '90's are no longer competitive. But scuttle at sea, no. They retain value as scrapping is a profitable, albeit dangerous, business.

 

I included Vista Class just to be stupid, never been on one my buddy and his wife LOVE Vista Class. No they aren't going anywhere look more fun than the Fantasy Class ships and those were not only FUN FUN FUN, those ships started this party 25 years ago. 

In all due respect this is a genuine opportunity for many of the lines to get rid of A LOT of dead weight and they're taking the opportunity, smart!! Artificial Reefs, PLEASE!!😊

Link to post
Share on other sites

Scrapping is very profitable, it's profitable because it's a costly and dangerous business.

 

Me, I would drain and sink hmmmmmm 4 maybe 5 off the coast of So. Florida in about 100 ft. of water. For a fee take divers and snorkellers who would LOVE to dive or snorkel a cruise ship. You'd be rich. Yep, rich.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TTEllis said:

Me, I would drain and sink hmmmmmm 4 maybe 5 off the coast of So. Florida in about 100 ft. of water. For a fee take divers and snorkellers who would LOVE to dive or snorkel a cruise ship. You'd be rich. Yep, rich.

Fun idea there, Todd.

Today, cruiseindustrynews.com reported the CMV's Columbus was just auctioned for about US$7mil. According to the article, the Turkish concern does not want to operate it, but speculation for higher secondhand tonnage market or wait for the scrap price to increase. So the scrap price is better than that. Pretty expensive, but I like your idea though!

Edited by mtnesterz
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes!!! It is a very expensive reef, that's why you have to make your $$$ back, yes it's going to take 20 plus years but it WILL or should be A LOT of fun doing it.😃

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TTEllis said:

Princess has the Sun class ships, every ship Princess has that's not Grand Class or Royal Class needs to be turned into an artificial reef somewhere on the bottom of ocean.

 

To each his or her own, but of the 5 Princess cruises we have booked for 2021-22, four are to be on the Pacific Princess.  If she leaves the fleet, we'll be looking to other lines for many of our future cruises--especially if the Coral and Island are also gone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Island and the Coral weren't those built to be able to pass through the canal? Well hopefully they won't scrap those in the event they do we'll miss you, have a doozy of a time on HAL, Norwegian.........or Carnival!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TTEllis said:

Yes!!! It is a very expensive reef, that's why you have to make your $$$ back, yes it's going to take 20 plus years but it WILL or should be A LOT of fun doing it.😃

 

There's a quicker way to get rich with an old ship due for scrapping. You might enjoy Wiki-ing, "gambling ship." 

4 hours ago, TTEllis said:

The Island and the Coral weren't those built to be able to pass through the canal? Well hopefully they won't scrap those in the event they do we'll miss you, have a doozy of a time on HAL, Norwegian.........or Carnival!! 

Those of us who prefer the smaller ships like the Coral,  Island and Pacific Princess would more likely take their business to Azamara or Oceania.

The Royal class might be profitable, but IMO, Princess loses distinctiveness in the huge ships. Princess has a market share between Carnival and Seabourn. I hope they keep it.

Edited by mtnesterz
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, Oceania is really finding itself a niche in this debacle, and definitely on my radar heard nothing but wonderful comments about them, especially they're food. Yummy. 

I did the Sea Princess back in 2002 the ship was dated then had I known the balcony was going to be the size that it was I would have switched ships or booked the Sea Princess with no balcony because it was not worth it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...