No Australian Travel till late 2021

I really do think that this is down to how you travel.   Prior to covid we were doing 2 months a year in Europe and 2 months in Thailand/Australia.   We do everything from last minute cruises, six stars, no stars, AI's and B&B's.  What we spend can really vary.

Two years ago we spent five nights at the Four Points Sheraton  Central Station in Sydney.  We were on points.  But, if we had to pay about $1100 Aus (or Cad).   That would be about $800 USD.  That is very reasonable for  a large city.  

Edited by iancal
8 hours ago, drsel said:

Wow, that's really strong language.
Of course, Australia is the most expensive tourist destination in the world.

Balderdash.  That article listed them #12 after places like Switzerland, France and Japan.

Airline flights vary greatly in price.  You need to be a bit flexible with dates.

Once there a room in downtown Sydney is expensive but out in the bush where the country is beautiful rooms are less expensive than in the US.

Also need to remember not to complain at the $10 sandwich because the total cost is $10.  The same $7 sandwich in the US is $10 after tax and tip.

8 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

If they don’t need me, I sure don’t need them.  They should shut down forever. 

Wow, that’s very harsh. I’m sure if a successful vaccine is available our stance on our international borders will be relaxed. We have always been a very welcoming country to our many overseas guests. I sure hope you get to visit us again ‘down under’. Stay well & safe. 
Vicki. 🙂

We have purchased airline tickets in Australia and have flown Melbourne-Sydney, Adalaide-Sydney, Brisbane-Hobart, Launceston-Sydney, and on two occasions Sydney-Honolulu..  Mostly on Jetstar/Qantas but also on Tiger and Virgin.

On every occasion we found the flights at least equal to, or less than we would have paid for similar flights in North America.

We purchased a late booking 21 day Oz/NZ cruise.  Our US on line TA gave us her best price.  We called the RCI call Center in Sydney the same day and booked.  One difference...the Australian price was thirty percent less.  Same ship, same cabin, same sailing, purchased the same day.  Same everything!

Edited by iancal

We purchased a late booking 21 day Oz/NZ cruise.  Our US on line TA gave us her best price.  We called the RCI call Center in Sydney the same day and booked.  One difference...the Australian price was thirty percent less.  Same ship, same cabin, same sailing, purchased the same day.  Same everything!

You are very lucky to get a freak last minute deal.

This is very unusual and certainly not the norm.

Normally Australians pay much more than Americans for the same cabin, same Cruise

There is a featured article about this here on CC

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1119

There is also a very big discussion about this discrimination on TripAdvisor.

https://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k3350647-Regional_pricing_at_what_cost-Cruises.html

Very true.  We have met a number of Australians (and Brits) on  our travels who routinely buy cruises through NA travel agencies.  Not only price but also Lower deposits,the ability to cancel or re-price when fares drop.

We shop travel products in various counties.  Last winter we purchased two five night AI stays at different Mexican resorts through a UK travel provide.  Reason was a lower price.  We find sometimes find large differences on domestic air, AI’s, hotels, etc by shopping them in different countries.  Thanks of course to the internet.  

It was thanks to CC that we were able to snag that deal.  The Australian section of CC gives us a heads up on the price.

Edited by iancal

Very true.  We find sometimes find large differences on domestic air, AI’s, hotels, etc by shopping them in different countries.  Thanks of course to the internet.  
Do you know which MSC country site is the cheapest?

Sorry.  Never shopped one of their cruises.  On our list though.

We have booked three last minute Europe cruises in the middle of our Europe land tours.  In all instances NA pricing was much better.  Despite this, DS shaved 15 points off her Celebrity Baltic cruise a few years ago by booking with a UK TA.

7 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Balderdash.  That article listed them #12 after places like Switzerland, France and Japan.

Airline flights vary greatly in price.  You need to be a bit flexible with dates.

Once there a room in downtown Sydney is expensive but out in the bush where the country is beautiful rooms are less expensive than in the US.

Also need to remember not to complain at the $10 sandwich because the total cost is $10.  The same $7 sandwich in the US is $10 after tax and tip.

Just hard to get out to the bush when you are on a cruise! 😉

Phil 

6 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm pretty sure the good folk in Australia won't miss you.

Correct. We don’t need or want him! I’d love to get on a cruise or a plane to travel but glad we have very low cases compared to other countries due to our strict international and internal border closures. 

hope we can welcome some international visitors soon! 

20 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Breaking: Georgia man asserts his right to infect whoever he wants, wherever he wants.

Wait, I don't agree with PTC Dawg, but your comment is over the top.

I have friends in Melbourne, Australia that are outraged by the shutdown in Victoria Province.  They are virtual prisoners in their homes.   I don't think the rest of the country has as strict shutdown rules.

Still, a vaccine is the way to go to get travel and cruising once more for 2021.

11 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

Wait, I don't agree with PTC Dawg, but your comment is over the top.

I have friends in Melbourne, Australia that are outraged by the shutdown in Victoria Province.  They are virtual prisoners in their homes.   I don't think the rest of the country has as strict shutdown rules.

Still, a vaccine is the way to go to get travel and cruising once more for 2021.

Agreed. The Melbourne lockdown (which, unlike what people call "lockdowns" in the US, which aren't) is very restrictive, but has both supporters and detractors like your friends.

But I stand by my comment.  The poster derided a country for making it's own decision on it's health and well being.  It, frankly, was none of his business.  

44 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Agreed. The Melbourne lockdown (which, unlike what people call "lockdowns" in the US, which aren't) is very restrictive, but has both supporters and detractors like your friends.

But I stand by my comment.  The poster derided a country for making it's own decision on it's health and well being.  It, frankly, was none of his business.  

I agree with you that each country makes it own decision on health issues.   It was silly for him to ignore the benefits of a vaccine.  However, you didn't have to suggest that he would infect anyone.  

On 10/8/2020 at 9:30 AM, drsel said:

Of course, Australia is the most expensive tourist destination in the world.

And it is worth every penny.  And that goes for NZ as well.  

I am sure that Australia is a fabulous country which I am eagerly waiting to visit in April and May 2021 (hopefully)

But surprisingly, both my first cousins in Perth prefer to holiday in Canada, because it cheaper than Gold coast, Cairns, Sydney and Melbourne

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

I don't think Australia is the most expensive tourist destination in the World.

I would rate any country in Scandinavia higher, especially Norway, as well as Switzerland as higher. 

Funnily enough we found wine pricier in Australia than at home even though it’s Australian ŵine. You have to visit a “ bottle shop “ or get your supplies from Woolworths / Dan Murphys 

26 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

Funnily enough we found wine pricier in Australia than at home even though it’s Australian ŵine. You have to visit a “ bottle shop “ or get your supplies from Woolworths / Dan Murphys 

This is very common and has been going on for years in Australia. It's the same here. Cheaper to buy Aussie wine in the UK. 

Phil 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

This is very common and has been going on for years in Australia. It's the same here. Cheaper to buy Aussie wine in the UK. 

Phil 

Phil we live in South West UK

Liz

Edited by emmas gran

We found Australian wine  more  expensive in Australia than it is in Canada. .  With one exception....the end of run store labelled wine from Aldi, etc. Hit and miss.

No surprise though.  We found Chilean cheaper in Canada that it was in Chile.

Edited by iancal
8 minutes ago, iancal said:

We found Australian wine  more  expensive in Australia than it is in Canada. .  With one exception....the end of run store labelled wine from Aldi, etc. Hit and miss.

No surprise though.  We found Chilean cheaper in Canada that it was in Chile.

"Sin taxes" are extremely high in Australia.  A pack of Marlboros is about $38AU!

Same with liquor. A 750ml bottle of store brand vodka is $50AU vs $8USD at home.

All differences in taxes