No Australian Travel till late 2021

"Sin taxes" are extremely high in Australia.  A pack of Marlboros is about $38AU!
Same with liquor. A 750ml bottle of store brand vodka is $50AU vs $8USD at home.
All differences in taxes
I guess it is the Robinhood principle of life
15 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Funnily enough we found wine pricier in Australia than at home even though it’s Australian ŵine. You have to visit a “ bottle shop “ or get your supplies from Woolworths / Dan Murphys 

Do Woolworths still exist in the UK?  Is this the same Woolworths with US origins?

36 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Do Woolworths still exist in the UK?  Is this the same Woolworths with US origins?

No they closed maybe 8 years ago --still in Australia though and the one in Sydney has a great basement grocery dept with good fresh food

Liz

On 10/8/2020 at 11:28 PM, PTC DAWG said:

If they don’t need me, I sure don’t need them.  They should shut down forever. 

yeah, and we'll really take a lecture from a US citizen about travel and the virus. Stay home but your Countrymen and women are very welcome, when it is safe.

20 hours ago, drsel said:

I am sure that Australia is a fabulous country which I am eagerly waiting to visit in April and May 2021 (hopefully)

But surprisingly, both my first cousins in Perth prefer to holiday in Canada, because it cheaper than Gold coast, Cairns, Sydney and Melbourne

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

That is hard to understand. Airfares from here to Canada or the US are extremely high and generally about 25% higher than it costs to fly to Europe which is an 8 hour longer flight, in general terms. I have only stayed in Vancouver in Canada, which we loved, however I thought the cost of hotels there were as high as anywhere in the world. Certainly much higher than any of those Aussie places you mentioned.

I hope you get the chance to visit in April.

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Woolworth's is a active chain of supermarkets in Australia (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolworths_Supermarkets). 

They are not related to the defunct F.W. Woolworth "5 & 10" retail chain of the U.S. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F._W._Woolworth_Company). 

They are not related to the defunct chain in Great Britain (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolworths_Group)

7 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

"Sin taxes" are extremely high in Australia.  A pack of Marlboros is about $38AU!

Same with liquor. A 750ml bottle of store brand vodka is $50AU vs $8USD at home.

All differences in taxes

Not all differences.

There is the conversion rate, though that only accounts for a portion.

17 hours ago, alwaysonaship said:

It sure is a shame that our country wasn’t that smart. Well not the country, but the powers that made decisions about our lives. 

It is a lot easier for more isolated countries like NZ and Australia to close down.

Also, please avoid the politics, we are here about travel.

On 10/8/2020 at 11:25 PM, drsel said:
On 10/8/2020 at 10:22 PM, PTC DAWG said:
Australia used to be on my bucket list..

Why used to be ? why not any more?

On 10/8/2020 at 11:28 PM, PTC DAWG said:

If they don’t need me, I sure don’t need them.  They should shut down forever. 

lol

maybe we should just use an intelligence test - might be the quickest way to stop fools who don’t get vaccinated or take covid seriously from coming into our country 👍

Edited by chrisaus

Our flights home From  Oz are always one way.  We spend a month or so in Thailand  then fly to Gold Coast from either Krabi or KL.

We fly on a one way Jetstar fare to HNL.  Past two times have been about $350. AUD. Stay in HNL for a day or two, then fly home to Canada.

23 hours ago, alwaysonaship said:

It sure is a shame that our country wasn’t that smart. Well not the country, but the powers that made decisions about our lives. 

You don't need to have a government official to dictate to you in order to take the necessary precautions to keep yourself and your family safe. That being said, without those guidelines there are going to be a significant number of people who can't be bothered to do the right thing. There is an innate selfishness in today's society. It has been growing for some time and COVID is just the point when the chickens have come to roost.

18 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

You don't need to have a government official to dictate to you in order to take the necessary precautions to keep yourself and your family safe. That being said, without those guidelines there are going to be a significant number of people who can't be bothered to do the right thing. There is an innate selfishness in today's society. It has been growing for some time and COVID is just the point when the chickens have come to roost.

Your post is spot-on truth!  Thank you!

4 hours ago, nich3cats said:

I wonder what their definition of late 2021 is. I have a transpacific ending in Sydney in mid October 2021. 

It's not definite, just indicative of a realistic possibility. 

If a vaccine is widely available earlier, no problems. If flare ups continue as they have been, then it will still be held off.

On 10/10/2020 at 11:41 AM, WonderMan3 said:

Well said. Yesterday a neighbor had a large group over for drinks. What part of staying safe do these people not understand. 

On 10/11/2020 at 6:09 AM, TeeRick said:

Your post is spot-on truth!  Thank you!

Personal responsibility seems to be in short supply.

Blaming others is always easy.  What is relevant to cruising is Australia has a government mostly based on the US system.  Australia just like the US has implemented stay at home and quarantine orders on a state by state and local basis.  The difference being that Australia clamped down faster and enforced their orders 

26 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Personal responsibility seems to be in short supply.

Blaming others is always easy.  What is relevant to cruising is Australia has a government mostly based on the US system.  Australia just like the US has implemented stay at home and quarantine orders on a state by state and local basis.  The difference being that Australia clamped down faster and enforced their orders 

Actually not much at all like the US system. Much more like other Commonwealth Countries with a Constitutional Monarchy, much more like Canada and New Zealand. There are 8 States in Australia as opposed to 50 in the U.S. with a land mass about the same size as the 48 "continental" states. 

I will agree that the vast majority of people do take personal responsibility very seriously no matter whether they are in the US, Australia, Canada or anywhere else. The problem is like any group there are those who feel they are more special than the common good. We see this dynamic on every cruise don't we.

Australia is a constitutional monarchy and parliamentary democracy, created by a British Act called the Commonwealth of Australia Constitution Act 1901. I think that you'll find more differences than similarities between it and the US system of government.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Australia is a constitutional monarchy and parliamentary democracy, created by a British Act called the Commonwealth of Australia Constitution Act 1901. I think that you'll find more differences than similarities between it and the US system of government.

Sorry, disagree on this one.  My comparative government class talked about the points below.  The Aussie Parliament is directly modeled on Congress.  And yes I understand the difference in how the Prime Minister is selected.  Although remember in the US you do not vote for the candidates but rather party electors.  The party with the most electors selects the President.  So maybe that is similar too.  See below.  

• Both are Federal systems (Federal and State governments).

• Both have a parliament (called a congress in the US) composed of two houses – a House of Representatives and a Senate.

• Both have a House that is popularly elected with electorate size determined by voting population.

• Both have a Senate that represents the States equally – 2 senators per state in the US, 12 per state in Australia. Senators in both countries serve 6 year terms.

• All legislation must be passed by both houses of parliament.

• Both have written constitutions which delineate the powers of the Federal Government.

• Both have an independent judiciary (Supreme Court in US, High Court in Australia) which interprets the constitution and acts as a final court of appeals.

I think you will find the Australian, Canadian, and New Zealand Governments are all patterned after the Government of Great Britain that predates the US by some 500 years. I'm pretty sure no-one in the "Empire" said hey let's copy the United States when they drafted the Constitution of Australia.

Keep in mind the Prime Minister is not the head of state Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is. 

The courts act in the name of the Crown

There are more than 2 political parties in Australia.

The "Speaker" of the house is EXPECTED to be impartial and follow the rules of the house (not make them up as they go along) 

It is mandatory to Vote in Australia, and they use "Proportional Representation"

So like most things Australia's government function and response really has very little resemblance to that of the US.

Now that we have discovered the vast differences in the Governments of Australia and the US we should perhaps agree to disagree before this turns too political for this forum.

Very interesting discussion but let's keep away from politics here.  I think we were discussing the important role of personal responsibility over and above government mandates.  Both have a key role in stopping the virus.   I am not quite sure how the type of government in Australia got into this discussion.😀

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Very interesting discussion but let's keep away from politics here.  I think we were discussing the important role of personal responsibility over and above government mandates.  Both have a key role in stopping the virus.   I am not quite sure how the type of government in Australia got into this discussion.😀

I have a long list of other differences, but I agree, enough thread drift. 😷

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I agree, the discussion went from personal responsibility to Australian Government when a member suggested that the Australian system of government was like the US system of government. Which is patently untrue. As several people have pointed out and I whole heartedly agree with Government mandates and guidelines only work when people take personal responsibility to do their part to help.

Edited by Blackduck59
15 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think you will find the Australian, Canadian, and New Zealand Governments are all patterned after the Government of Great Britain that predates the US by some 500 years. I'm pretty sure no-one in the "Empire" said hey let's copy the United States when they drafted the Constitution of Australia.

Keep in mind the Prime Minister is not the head of state Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is. 

The courts act in the name of the Crown

There are more than 2 political parties in Australia.

The "Speaker" of the house is EXPECTED to be impartial and follow the rules of the house (not make them up as they go along) 

It is mandatory to Vote in Australia, and they use "Proportional Representation"

So like most things Australia's government function and response really has very little resemblance to that of the US.

Now that we have discovered the vast differences in the Governments of Australia and the US we should perhaps agree to disagree before this turns too political for this forum.

You completely missed my point.  There are huge similarities.  Agreed there are many differences.  The response in Australia was very different.  My point is the response was mostly at the State and local level just like the US.  My home in Australia had stay at home mandates dictated from the State of Victoria and My Shire(county) My home in Arizona a confused bunch of communications from the State and county.

FWIW I am a registered Libertarian.

Moving on.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
14 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

You completely missed my point.  There are huge similarities.  Agreed there are many differences.  The response in Australia was very different.  My point is the response was mostly at the State and local level just like the US.  My home in Australia had stay at home mandates dictated from the State of Victoria and My Shire(county) My home in Arizona a confused bunch of communications from the State and county.

FWIW I am a registered Libertarian.

Moving on.

Still not correct. The response has been actually coordinated nationally here, with a committee of the PM and Premiers. 

However, the mandates were applied locally as appropriate as conditions varied, and it was done at state level as most appropriate rather than federal (too high) or local council (too low). States made the call on conditions throughout the states e.g. a lockdown where applied was not done statewide.