Will you cruise in Jan. or Feb.?

delliemd

19 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Some folks seem to be afraid to venture out of the house lately. Others don't seem to have any fear of sailing with a few thousand others in a confined space. 

Makes me wonder?

Actually, I'm not hiding at home. I go out every day and use transit frequently. I wear a mask and distance where possible. That said, I'll not cruise from a high risk area because of the risk of disruption; canceled cruise/flights and local shut downs.

Most of us are seniors. This is something to consider. In high risk areas, they must impose a shut down whenever hospitals are full. What would you do if you had a non-covid emergency?

What if you entered your local hospital for a fracture, and left with covid as a bonus? I hope that common sense will prevail.

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I liked your post.  Very reasonably stated.  The "doom and gloom" set likes to post about all the bad stuff and things aren't or won't be safe and the tone of those posts are such that they think everyone else should feel the same way. 

There is a never a 100% guarantee in life and I think the major cruise lines are not going to mess this up because their very future existence depends on it.  

This is one Canadian who believes that not all Americans are crazy actors with COVID and ready to infect us as soon as we cross the border.

I am shaking my head and rolling my eyes.  

The "doom and gloom set"?  Many of us are seniors with several other health concerns.  This virus could be life or death for those seniors.  This isnt like catching a cold.  I would call it plain and simple common sense.  I will follow the guide lines that the health experts lay out,  rather than the  cruise line guide lines, because my future existence depends on it.  I dont think that you should feel the same way,  you can believe what you want,  but someone elses life could depend on your behavior.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stoneharborlady said:

I am shaking my head and rolling my eyes.  

The "doom and gloom set"?  Many of us are seniors with several other health concerns.  This virus could be life or death for those seniors.  This isnt like catching a cold.  I would call it plain and simple common sense.  I will follow the guide lines that the health experts lay out,  rather than the  cruise line guide lines, because my future existence depends on it.  I dont think that you should feel the same way,  you can believe what you want,  but someone elses life could depend on your behavior.

Okay, so you then choose not to travel if you have health concerns.  The cruise industry guidelines are going to be set by the health and safety experts.  They are not disconnected.  The ships are not going to sail unless they meet a set of strict standards.  What more can we ask for (other than a good vaccine)?  My going on a cruise under new guidelines, along with anyone else, is not going to be irresponsible behavior or you are simply indicating no faith in the cruise industry to adapt to a new norm.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

My going on a cruise under new guidelines, along with anyone else, is not going to be irresponsible behavior or you are simply indicating no faith in the cruise industry to adapt to a new norm.

I am fine with you going on a cruise should they sail.  MY going on a cruise would be, for me, irresponsible behavior.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/26/2020 at 2:24 PM, voljeep said:

about anything in life

"We have no guarantee about anything in life."  Well, we do about death and taxes.  😁
Until I can have a reasonable chance of not being quarantined for 14 days beyond the date that a fellow passenger becomes ill, I can't cruise.  If we were retired, it'd be a different thing but some of us still work.  😉

• Like 1

For those of us who were scheduled to cruise out of Australia in the Spring, the decision is made. We had come to the conclusion that we would need to cancel because of the uncertainty of airline travel and being refused admittance to Australia, even with a pre-cruise quarantine. Fortunately, Princess realized the difficulty of any non-Australian being able to cruise from there and canceled all cruises through May 31, 2021. We are less concerned about the safety of being onboard than the logistics of getting there for any cruise from a port outside Florida (we can drive to any of the Florida ports). We are still hoping that our New Year's Caribbean cruise will sail. The decision of whether you feel safe to cruise is a very personal one and relies on many factors including your health, whether you can extend your time in case of a quarantine, the logistics of getting to the cruise port, and how you feel about the possible risk of being infected. May we all feel safe in a few months!

22 minutes ago, 40yearcruiser said:

whether you feel safe to cruise is a very personal one

There is also a less personal aspect to it. If someone takes a risk by cruising and becomes infected then it greatly increases the risk of those around them becoming infected. It also takes up valuable hospital beds, which I see are becoming scarcer in many US states. In an epidemic the notion of risk being personal is not necessarily useful.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

There is also a less personal aspect to it. If someone takes a risk by cruising and becomes infected then it greatly increases the risk of those around them becoming infected. It also takes up valuable hospital beds, which I see are becoming scarcer in many US states. In an epidemic the notion of risk being personal is not necessarily useful.

OK.  How somebody feels about something is personal.  The impact of acting on their feelings may have repercussions beyond their immediate person.

2 hours ago, antmaril said:

I canceled our Enchanted Princess Cruise set for January 9, 2021 yesterday.  I got a reminder from Princess that final payment is due soon, so it seemed like it was time.  ☹️

So you didn't want to take whatever "bonus" that Princess will bestow once they cancel? We're hoping to flip it to the May 1 sailing.

7 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

So you didn't want to take whatever "bonus" that Princess will bestow once they cancel? We're hoping to flip it to the May 1 sailing.

Well, I was hoping they would cancel it before the final payment is due on November 10th, but it doesn’t look like they are going to do that.  There was no way we would make the final payment, even if there is a “bonus”.    

The way things are going, I think it’s going to be quite a while before I book another cruise.  No earlier than 2022, but most likely 2023.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 6:59 PM, antmaril said:

Well, I was hoping they would cancel it before the final payment is due on November 10th, but it doesn’t look like they are going to do that.  There was no way we would make the final payment, even if there is a “bonus”.    

The way things are going, I think it’s going to be quite a while before I book another cruise.  No earlier than 2022, but most likely 2023.  

Actually, if you are using a PVP for your booking, the deadline for final payment has been extended until December 9th as result of no one knowing for sure if the ship will actually be ready for sail.  We are booked on the January 9th voyage and will remain booked and hope they do sail.

We are not of the kind that will wait out and hope they cancel so we can milk them out of the "bonus" as result of them cancelling.  We are shareholders and stakeholders and remain loyal to our cruise line.

• Thanks 1

We cancelled all cruises until the fall of 2021. We may cancel those cruises as well depending on vaccines and new infection rates.  I might consider a test cruise. But a test cruise is out of the question for my wife - way too risky for her. 

We were booked on the Enchanted for January 30, 2021 but cancelled after reading what the CDC would require (see below) if one case of Covid shows up on a cruise. What do you think the odds of that Are?

As a condition of operating, cruise lines will be required to advise passengers in all marketing materials, websites, and in materials for voyages, that if a threshold for COVID-19 is detected during the voyage, the ship will return to its U.S. port of embarkation and that subsequent travel, including return home, could be delayed.

Sounds like back to the port and quarantine to me. Am I wrong? Any comments.

1 hour ago, tk2fast said:

Sounds like back to the port and quarantine to me. Am I wrong?

Other terms of the CDC rules regarding an infection on board state that the cruise line would have to pay for and arrange the return trips home for all disembarking passengers via non-public transportation, so I'm thinking that they'll only let locals sail, in order to avoid the expense of chartering flights all over the world.

8 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Other terms of the CDC rules regarding an infection on board state that the cruise line would have to pay for and arrange the return trips home for all disembarking passengers via non-public transportation, so I'm thinking that they'll only let locals sail, in order to avoid the expense of chartering flights all over the world.

how local is local - 4.5 hours by personal car parking in the PE parking garage ?

16 minutes ago, voljeep said:

how local is local - 4.5 hours by personal car parking in the PE parking garage ?

That's something only Princess can answer.

Again, this is just an educated guess on my part, but I can't see them wanting to take the financial risk of having to charter flights for folks who have only paid anywhere from $400 to $2K for a cruise. Especially when the ship will only be 60% full at most. They will want to reduce the risk by using locals. Maybe there will be exceptions made for people who can dive to the port, with closed-loop sailings, but again, that's CLC's call to make, not ours.

• Thanks 1

On 10/29/2020 at 11:08 AM, SNJCruisers said:

No, I just went ahead and canceled it.  I won’t cruise again for quite a while.    It’s fine.  

On 10/26/2020 at 9:01 AM, iancal said:

Simply look at the covid numbers today, over the past week, the past month.  And then look at the increase in the growth percentages, day over day,  week over week, of those numbers.  That should give any clear thinking individual an indication of why it may not be possible or why it may not be wise to take a cruise from any US port in January or February.  It is not rocket science.   It does not require an excessive amount of critical thinking.

Don't forget to look at the sharply declining death rates while you're at it.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 5:32 AM, Grego said:

We are not of the kind that will wait out and hope they cancel so we can milk them out of the "bonus" as result of them cancelling.  We are shareholders and stakeholders and remain loyal to our cruise line.

Thank you.  We paid three of our cruises in full because we, too, are shareholders and knew they needed operating capital to continue.  It's a drop in the bucket, but if there are enough drops, it will fill.  We aren't the kind to kick a man (or business) when they're down.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WAMarathoner said:

Is that confirmed?  We have different plans for our Jan Mexico cruise.

If so, wonder if we could find the shortest ship excursion and then do the real one?

Full quote was I'd wait for a cruise where I liked the excursions.  I'm not sure how your plan would work as it's not just getting off the ship it's also getting back on.