Carnival Corp. Ready to Implement New Destination Protocols

“We will need to work very closely and identify both government and private healthcare operators in certain destinations,” he said. “Look at where that ship is planning to go, what are some of the alternative options.”

Some destinations, he added, will have “more than they need” healthcare options.

“One for their own community and another as it takes into account any stayover guests or cruise guests as they come to that destination.”

What bothers me about this is that a lot of those islands barely have enough healthcare options for their own people let alone stay over or cruise guests.

2 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

“We will need to work very closely and identify both government and private healthcare operators in certain destinations,” he said. “Look at where that ship is planning to go, what are some of the alternative options.”

Some destinations, he added, will have “more than they need” healthcare options.

“One for their own community and another as it takes into account any stayover guests or cruise guests as they come to that destination.”

What bothers me about this is that a lot of those islands barely have enough healthcare options for their own people let alone stay over or cruise guests.

How true.  Yet they seem to be doing a better job of mitigating the virus than we here in the USA.  

19 minutes ago, evandbob said:

How true.  Yet they seem to be doing a better job of mitigating the virus than we here in the USA.  

Well, they seem to practice only reporting people who get noticeably ill, versus the US that is expanding testing and reporting many false positives and many asymptomatic cases, but lower hospitalizations and deaths and increasing use of various medical cocktails to reduce the seriousness of the virus.

I am glad they specified "private providers." DD and I were off-loaded to a private hospital in Belize from CCL Dream a few years ago when she got ill onboard.  While the level of care was acceptable, (except while drawing blood, where they literally let dd's blood drip directly from a needle in her arm into a testtube) I would not want to be placed in a public facility. 

3 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

I’m not sure most cruisers will be happy being put off the ship at the first available port to be treated and / or quarantined when they, or someone in their traveling party, test positive for Covid. That seems to be the plan for anyone testing positive. Hopefully there will be reasonably priced travel insurance policies available that will cover the treatment and return travel, since many health insurance policies don’t cover treatment onboard a cruise ship or in a foreign country.

18 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Health insurance with medivac is relatively inexpensive.

True.  I always get it.  But if a person tests positive for Covid 19, how easy or hard is it to arrange a flight back to the country? And how easy or hard is it to be allowed back in?  Wasn't that one of the hiccups last spring?

On 10/12/2020 at 6:52 PM, JT1962 said:

I’m not sure most cruisers will be happy being put off the ship at the first available port to be treated and / or quarantined when they, or someone in their traveling party, test positive for Covid. That seems to be the plan for anyone testing positive. Hopefully there will be reasonably priced travel insurance policies available that will cover the treatment and return travel, since many health insurance policies don’t cover treatment onboard a cruise ship or in a foreign country.

Completely agree. I wouldn't be happy with this option.

On 10/15/2020 at 11:16 AM, BlerkOne said:

Health insurance with medivac is relatively inexpensive.

Not sure that you can simply request a medivac because you are in a place you don't want to be. what if you come down with covid mid cruise with mild symptoms and they put you and your family off so you can isolate and quarantine. I don't believe you can get a medivac for you and your family simply because you have a cough and your family has to quarantine and you don't like the fact that you are in Belize.

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Completely agree. I wouldn't be happy with this option.

Not sure that you can simply request a medivac because you are in a place you don't want to be. what if you come down with covid mid cruise with mild symptoms and they put you and your family off so you can isolate and quarantine. I don't believe you can get a medivac for you and your family simply because you have a cough and your family has to quarantine and you don't like the fact that you are in Belize.

I doubt a cruise ship would dump you off in a foreign country. Dumping covid cases in Belize sounds like a good way for the cruise line to get banned. I recall Grand Cayman not allowing a cruise ship to stop just because there was suspected Noro on board. Doing so not only prevented any Noro from getting to shore, but also prevented from going ship to ship via shore.

On 10/12/2020 at 7:42 AM, crewsweeper said:

Well, they seem to practice only reporting people who get noticeably ill, versus the US that is expanding testing and reporting many false positives and many asymptomatic cases, but lower hospitalizations and deaths and increasing use of various medical cocktails to reduce the seriousness of the virus.

Good point 

5 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I doubt a cruise ship would dump you off in a foreign country. Dumping covid cases in Belize sounds like a good way for the cruise line to get banned. I recall Grand Cayman not allowing a cruise ship to stop just because there was suspected Noro on board. Doing so not only prevented any Noro from getting to shore, but also prevented from going ship to ship via shore.

that was my interpretation of this carnival article. Disembarking Covid positive passengers.

costa disembarked their French passengers in Italy as soon as they tested positive 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/10/16/costa-cruises-eight-passengers-have-covid-19-cruise-ship-italy/3677815001/

56 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

that was my interpretation of this carnival article. Disembarking Covid positive passengers.

costa disembarked their French passengers in Italy as soon as they tested positive 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/10/16/costa-cruises-eight-passengers-have-covid-19-cruise-ship-italy/3677815001/

Not exactly.  All passengers on both charters were French.  They put the first group ashore and began the next cruise.  When another passenger tested positive he was put ashore and they quickly repatriated the passengers to France.  Lots easier and probably safer.

I think about the Caribbean.  How about bring put ashore in Labadee?  How about Haiti or Dominican Republic?

49 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Not exactly.  All passengers on both charters were French.  They put the first group ashore and began the next cruise.  When another passenger tested positive he was put ashore and they quickly repatriated the passengers to France.  Lots easier and probably safer.

I think about the Caribbean.  How about bring put ashore in Labadee?  How about Haiti or Dominican Republic?

Costa did what their protocol called for in agreement with the Italian government. A cruise line couldn't arbitrarily dump off a pandemic patient without permission.

In the US, cruise ships will have to reserve a certain number of cabins for isolation/quarantine and the cruise lines will either have to take care of the patients or have made arrangements in advance with land based facilities.

Just now, BlerkOne said:

Costa did what their protocol called for in agreement with the Italian government. A cruise line couldn't arbitrarily dump off a pandemic patient without permission.

In the US, cruise ships will have to reserve a certain number of cabins for isolation/quarantine and the cruise lines will either have to take care of the patients or have made arrangements in advance with land based facilities.

Costa may have had an agreement, but they disembarked passengers at the next port and then cancelled the cruise taking all the passengers to France.  Understand it was a French charter, but passengers were not given a choice about leaving the ship.  All but one were asymptomatic.

As I read the CLIA guidelines - which were NOT accepted as written by the CDC - agreements must be in place with each port for accepting ill passengers with isolation cabins and enhanced medical facilities on board until they reach the next port.

5 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Costa may have had an agreement, but they disembarked passengers at the next port and then cancelled the cruise taking all the passengers to France.  Understand it was a French charter, but passengers were not given a choice about leaving the ship.  All but one were asymptomatic.

As I read the CLIA guidelines - which were NOT accepted as written by the CDC - agreements must be in place with each port for accepting ill passengers with isolation cabins and enhanced medical facilities on board until they reach the next port.

Costa followed their protocol which needed to be approved by the flag state - Italy.

CLIA guidelines are not officially anything other than an organization made up of cruise lines. I don't think they can unilaterally decide.

US ports of embarkation don't have the facilities to deal with a shipload of covid patients; a small island nation certainly wouldn't. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a cruise ship kept on standby to rendezvous and offload covid cases.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Costa followed their protocol which needed to be approved by the flag state - Italy.

CLIA guidelines are not officially anything other than an organization made up of cruise lines. I don't think they can unilaterally decide.

US ports of embarkation don't have the facilities to deal with a shipload of covid patients; a small island nation certainly wouldn't. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a cruise ship kept on standby to rendezvous and offload covid cases.

Completely agree.  There is an upcoming meeting with the CDC.  Have not heard when.

Interesting idea of evacuation to another ship.  Do not see how that would assist if patients needed hospital level care.

For Carnival, they still need to assemble and train crews.  Travel from Phillipines takes about 2-3 weeks to get the required permits.  Then quarantine on board followed by training and learning protocols.  Probably a Federal Court order delaying sailing re environment violations for 60 days will make little difference.  US sailings until a vaccine and COVID numbers much reduced seems unlikely to me. 

58 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Completely agree.  There is an upcoming meeting with the CDC.  Have not heard when.

Interesting idea of evacuation to another ship.  Do not see how that would assist if patients needed hospital level care.

For Carnival, they still need to assemble and train crews.  Travel from Phillipines takes about 2-3 weeks to get the required permits.  Then quarantine on board followed by training and learning protocols.  Probably a Federal Court order delaying sailing re environment violations for 60 days will make little difference.  US sailings until a vaccine and COVID numbers much reduced seems unlikely to me. 

Oh mah gosh! How did you learn all this! 

1 hour ago, fyree39 said:

Oh mah gosh! How did you learn all this! 

Articles on Cruise Hive.  Most is simply logical.  Got to remember you cannot travel to or from many countries.  The Federal Court likely to make everything else moot as Carnival will get little sympathy as they admitted falsifying records multiple times and were before the court multiple times.  Thumbed their nose and were accused of illegal acts to find when USCG auditors wee planning to inspect.  Thus 60 days AFTER each ship passes.

The legal mess is best read on Cruise Law postings.