Jump to content

The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz


Recommended Posts

Found it - it is the Imperial Crown of Austria but definitely not in the city I suspected. I had to do a bit of research to understand why the crown is on this edifice (which almost all tourists visit or the nearby museum, btw) in this particular city. Kinda ironic placement, no?

Edited by dogs4fun
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, QueenofEverything said:

 

It is a fantastic close-up, Queen! You must have had a bird's eye perch to capture the photo. 🙂  I also have no photos so will leave full identification to another.

Edited by dogs4fun
Link to post
Share on other sites

We climbed the Westerkirk but I don't remember seeing that crown atop its spire. But I looked at a picture from ground level and sure enough...

Edited by jpalbny
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tip-toeing round the name of the building?! :classic_smile: He-he, fun! I am not going to say anything. No photo ready.

 

Edit: so, jpalbny, the name is out! Does that make it the Ijssel or the Amsterdam Rhine Canal? Doesn't really matter that much.

 

dogs4fun, it is a big reminder of how sort of all over Europe the Hapsburg dynasty was. Thank you for the video of Liszt. A virtuoso and really pleasant piece of music. With a great player, no doubt. It has been a while since I have been to a classical concert.

 

notamermaid

 

Edited by notamermaid
added sentence
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

We climbed the Westerkirk but I don't remember seeing that crown atop its spire. But I looked at a picture from ground level and sure enough...

Ha - jpalbny named it so he is up. 

The Imperial Crown of Austria atop a protestant church tower - go figure. The Westerkerk carillon is wonderful.

Edited by dogs4fun
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

We climbed the Westerkirk but I don't remember seeing that crown atop its spire. But I looked at a picture from ground level and sure enough...

Yep, that's it.  It is just a few steps from Anne Frank's house.  She mentioned in her diary how she would listen to the bells and they would give her comfort.  Here's a pic of the whole church.  jpalbny you're up!

DSC00787.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Ha - jpalbny named it so he is up. 

The Imperial Crown of Austria atop a protestant church tower - go figure.

 

3 minutes ago, QueenofEverything said:

Yep, that's it.  It is just a few steps from Anne Frank's house.  She mentioned in her diary how she would listen to the bells and they would give her comfort.  Here's a pic of the whole church.  jpalbny you're up!

 

Money will get your product placed in all sorts of strange places... 😄  Thanks for the hints, everyone; I would not have had a chance without them, and I've been within a few feet of that crown! QueenofEverything, your clue that it was next to a "must-see" made me look at Westerkirk, next to Anne Frank House.

 

***

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

 

Another one, which is not on the river cruise itself, but a common visit. I am hoping this is a little more obscure but darn, you guys are just amazing in how well you know your places! I feel like a rookie here.

 

CCPic2.thumb.jpg.d005ea81f1f54da0d12527e1e87ed9c3.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, nice one. Would not guess that in weeks, I think. France, Italy, Portugal? Although, the ornaments along the wall could be a strong hint. Not lilies, but "curved" metal objects?

 

notamermaid

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Okay, nice one. Would not guess that in weeks, I think. France, Italy, Portugal? Although, the ornaments along the wall could be a strong hint. Not lilies, but "curved" metal objects?

 

notamermaid

 

 

OK. The River Cruise from which you can visit this city is in one of those countries, BUT the city is not.

 

The items on the walls are painted on. The symbols represent a succession of names which form a legacy going back hundreds of years, probably to the 1700s.

 

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

Is this courtyard a hexagon? Not a clue.

 

The courtyard is square; I backed into a corner and used a wide-angle lens to capture all of it. So the angles are a touch distorted.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

 

OK. The River Cruise from which you can visit this city is in one of those countries, BUT the city is not.

 

The items on the walls are painted on. The symbols represent a succession of names which form a legacy going back hundreds of years, probably to the 1700s.

 

 

The courtyard is square; I backed into a corner and used a wide-angle lens to capture all of it. So the angles are a touch distorted.

No clue, but am so enjoying this thread.

Like you, we are really missing traveling.

Robin

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

 

 

Money will get your product placed in all sorts of strange places... 😄  Thanks for the hints, everyone; I would not have had a chance without them, and I've been within a few feet of that crown! QueenofEverything, your clue that it was next to a "must-see" made me look at Westerkirk, next to Anne Frank House.

 

***

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

 

Another one, which is not on the river cruise itself, but a common visit. I am hoping this is a little more obscure but darn, you guys are just amazing in how well you know your places! I feel like a rookie here.

 

CCPic2.thumb.jpg.d005ea81f1f54da0d12527e1e87ed9c3.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Found it, I think!

Douro River

Anaya Palace, Salamanca

Link to post
Share on other sites
Found it, I think!
Douro River
Anaya Palace, Salamanca

I was thinking something like that from the clue that it was not in the same country as the cruise. To me that was a major hint.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking something like that from the clue that it was not in the same country as the cruise. To me that was a major hint.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was a major hint! The only country I could think of....of course finding the building took a little googling...


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, acwmom said:

Found it, I think!

Douro River

Anaya Palace, Salamanca

 

Robin, I am impressed! I was hoping that I could drop a few more fun hints but again all of you continue to amaze me with your travel knowledge. Go for it @acwmom - what's your next picture?

 

Yes I dropped a major hint by saying the cruise and city are in different countries. So, a Douro cruise all within Portugal, then a land trip to Madrid which stops in Salamanca.

 

You may recall that we did this on our own last year - We flew into Lisbon, took a few days to drive up to Porto via Evora, Tomar, and Coimbra, then drove along the Douro to Salamanca then Madrid. We enjoyed Salamanca immensely despite the fact that it was about 33F that morning.

 

This building was rebuilt in the late 1700s, after the LISBON earthquake destroyed its predecessor. It was part of a university but then was taken over by the University of Salamanca.

 

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

The paintings on the wall appear to be some kind of moorish calligraphy. Spain?

 

The style is indeed Moorish.

 

The calligraphy is some kind of symbolic signature or emblem placed there by people who were students at the University at that time. There was an explanation there as to who they were but I've forgotten it and I didn't take a picture to jog my memory. Has anyone else been there and maybe can fill in my missing part of the story?

 

Here is a close up of some of the more recent signatures.

 

20191115_095414.thumb.jpg.63986171a7de0b640e34c17cb5d9ae12.jpg

 

Edited to add: @dogs4fun I tried looking online too but could not find the explanation. I want to say that they were class presidents or something similar but I may just be making that up...

Edited by jpalbny
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m really enjoying this little challenge!
 

Here’s my contribution to the fun. This was taken in one of our favorite stops, although we just docked there - no tours offered. 

 

image.thumb.jpeg.2382a9b0a49dbbf9a54391ef32458078.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...