The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

2 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

I know what and where it is but will remain silent. 🤐

I do too, we have been there a few times.

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

The brick building and the reddish set stones - is this in the Netherlands?

notamermaid

You are too far North.

Theo

13 minutes ago, Renmar said:

I do too, we have been there a few times.

You are too far North.

Theo

I will definitely put it in Northern France or Belgium as it looks very Flemish. I see a blurred writing "Belgian" on the building in the background, which makes Belgium far more likely than France.

notamermaid

The statue is Zeus, Leda, Prometheus and Pegasus. It is located in Walplein in Bruges, Belgium. I actually stayed in a B&B there before a bike and barge trip that began in Bruges. I thought that it looked sort of familiar.

Absolutely correct gnome12 we went there for the day from one of our cruises. I first went on a school trip to many years ago to admit to it left a lasting impression and a feeling for heritage that has never left me. We stayed at a hotel just off the square and we were there for ‘The Pagent of the Holy Blood’ which I believe is now every year but when we went it was every five years.

Your turn gnome12

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

The statue is Zeus, Leda, Prometheus and Pegasus. It is located in Walplein in Bruges, Belgium. I actually stayed in a B&B there before a bike and barge trip that began in Bruges. I thought that it looked sort of familiar.

Wow, we ate lunch at that square and I never saw the statue. Must have been paying too much attention to the moules et frites? Or the beer... 😉

Edited by jpalbny
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Absolutely correct gnome12 we went there for the day from one of our cruises. I first went on a school trip to many years ago to admit to it left a lasting impression and a feeling for heritage that has never left me. We stayed at a hotel just off the square and we were there for ‘The Pagent of the Holy Blood’ which I believe is now every year but when we went it was every five years.

Your turn gnome12

First, I declare a wild card!

I was also there for the Procession of the Holy Blood; it was the day that I arrived (flight to Amsterdam, train to Bruges, then walked to my B&B) so I was a bit tired; I paid the €5 to get a seat to watch.

Here is the writeup from Unesco

Procession of the Holy Blood in Bruges

Belgium

Inscribed in 2009 (4.COM) on the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity

Each spring, 30,000 to 45,000 spectators gather in the heart of the Belgian city of Bruges to watch the Procession of the Holy Blood on Ascension Day, forty days after Easter. The colourful pageant dates back to the thirteenth century, when a citizen of Bruges is said to have brought the Relic of the Holy Blood of Jesus Christ back from the Second Crusade. Led by the thirty city notables of the Brotherhood of the Holy Blood and accompanied by brass bands, more than 1,700 citizens on foot, in carts or on horseback perform stories from the Old Testament, the life of Jesus and the history of Bruges. Then, various civic groups venerate the relic and the procession concludes with a prayer ceremony, performed in several languages to accommodate the international audience. For centuries, the ceremony has played an important role in expressing the identity of Bruges’s inhabitants and in facilitating encounters with people from outside the city. Participants are a representative cross-section of ages, families and communities. Some inhabitants have participated for forty or fifty years, and émigrés often return for ‘Bruges’s Finest Day’. The Procession is a vibrant example of how a collective ceremony can unite a city through ritual enactment of its history and beliefs.

6 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Wow, we ate lunch at that square and I never saw the statue. Must have been paying too much attention to the moules et frites?

I remember doing a walking tour of Bruges (I was there for 3 nights before my cycling trip) and finding lots of interesting statues. I guess I am less of a foodie than you and Chris.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Is this Freiburg and it’s Bachle’s filled by the Dreisam and if you step into one accidentally you will marry a citizen of Freiburg. 

Yes! You are correct. I thought I had a picture of one of the smaller ones, but this is the only one I could find. Over to you😁

Robin