Symphony Relocating?

I see that Symphony has moved from Singapore to an Indonesian anchorage (Galang) about 200 miles south. So either they are getting her ready for her next cruise season in Asia supposedly starting in Laem Chabang to Singapore in January or they might be looking to lay her up at less cost. 

https://www.marinelayup.com/countries/layup-services-indonesia-vci-corrosion-control-and-preservation-services-in-batam-and-karimun/

I guess we will see.
1 hour ago, TUCKERTOOTS said:

What ever happened to the scheduled dry dock from last April?  Did it, or will it ever happen?

With the financial difficulties that Crystal has, I doubt it that it will happen soon. But Crystal could give a communication on the dry dock instead of us speculating about it.

Ivi

Interesting.  Symphony and Serenity are both in the Port Klang anchorage, almost next to each other.  I've wondered for a long time why they didn't both anchor in the same anchorage (Symphony was in the outer limits of Singapore).  They are not quite side by side, but close.

Hope she got a warm welcome from Serenity!

Edited by crickette
On 10/19/2020 at 10:38 AM, crickette said:

Interesting.  Symphony and Serenity are both in the Port Klang anchorage, almost next to each other.  I've wondered for a long time why they didn't both anchor in the same anchorage (Symphony was in the outer limits of Singapore).  They are not quite side by side, but close.

Hope she got a warm welcome from Serenity!

Well, they didn't stay together long.  Symphony is on her way to Sinagpore outerlimits, according to vesselfinder.com.  You can see the route on this capture.

Symphony going back to SIngapore.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, crickette said:

About an hour ago Serenity is alongside a pier in Port Klang.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:101.363/centery:3.003/zoom:12

Her route is shown in the attached graphic.

serenity oct 29.JPG

Her Panomax seems to confirm:

https://crystal-cruises.panomax.com/serenity

They do that regularly to exchange crew and get supplies. If it follows the usual pattern, it will be at anchorage tomorrow.

Patty

• 2 weeks later...

Once again, almost a month later, Serenity and "the white swan of the fleet" Symphony are together again.  This time in the Galang Anchorage.  About 2 nm apart.  Symphony and Sapphire Princess are visible using Serenity's Panomax.

• 1 month later...

This morning, Symphony and Serenity are together again (less than 1.5 nm apart).  This time in the Port Klang anchorage (Kuala Lumpur)

Edited by crickette
  • 3 weeks later...

Serenity is in Port Klang today.  The webcam shows some overcast skies.

Symphony is still in the outer anchorage.  I expect she will move soon - Sergio posted on Facebook that he is on his way to Kuala Lumpur to join the ship.  Now that is a flight with numerous connections!!!!

Wish I could be a stowaway in his luggage.

On 2/1/2021 at 7:05 PM, crickette said:

Serenity is in Port Klang today.  The webcam shows some overcast skies.

Symphony is still in the outer anchorage.  I expect she will move soon - Sergio posted on Facebook that he is on his way to Kuala Lumpur to join the ship.  Now that is a flight with numerous connections!!!!

Wish I could be a stowaway in his luggage.

Today is Symphony's turn in port.

• 2 months later...

I got excited when I saw Serenity move, but she seemed to just relocate to a new anchorage by Star Pisces in the next strait.  I can't tell if this has something to do with the shipyard in Singapore, some other logistic need, or some completely different reason.

Symphony doesn't seem like she's going any further than she usually does when she leaves anchorage, but it'll be interesting to see if she ultimately comes back to Port Klang or Singapore when she returns, regardless of what the immediate next destination says.

Vince

Vince, Serenity will be going to Singapore.  

Symphony will go to Singapore as well.  

Dry Docks.

It won't be long until both ships are sailing again with guests.  

Keith

That's great news -- thanks for the update Keith!  The main reason I could figure Singapore was significant logistically at this point was for the shipyard, but I didn't have enough info to make that assumption.  

Vince

3 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Symphony will go to Singapore as well.  

Dry Docks.

Will this dry dock include all the items that were scheduled for the dry dock before the lay up, in addition to, I assume, wear and tear that's accumulated in the meantime (although I guess that's mostly a freshening of the mothballed passenger cabins and public spaces?)

40 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Will this dry dock include all the items that were scheduled for the dry dock before the lay up, in addition to, I assume, wear and tear that's accumulated in the meantime (although I guess that's mostly a freshening of the mothballed passenger cabins and public spaces?)

When ships do not sail they accumulate things such as barnacles and biofilms on the hull which need to be removed.

I am not sure of the particulars for each ship which go beyond this.

Keith

It could have been a trip to replenish fresh water.  She needs to travel at a certain speed for desalinization system to work efficiently - IIRC it is 10 knots, depending upon sea water temperatures.

• 3 weeks later...

Will be interesting to see if Symphony gets more than just the exterior work when it is that ship's turn in drydock.  As a hoped-to-be cruiser on Symphony in September, I was shocked to read the number of reviews here that mentioned what poor shape the interior was in, even after a couple of recent retrofits to this 25-year-old ship.  

14 minutes ago, loriva said:

Will be interesting to see if Symphony gets more than just the exterior work when it is that ship's turn in drydock.  As a hoped-to-be cruiser on Symphony in September, I was shocked to read the number of reviews here that mentioned what poor shape the interior was in, even after a couple of recent retrofits to this 25-year-old ship.  

Poor shape?  I beg to disagree.  Having last been on Symphony in early 2020, I was more than pleased with the beauty, comfort and luxury of the ship's interior.