Pence, Redfield, Donald, Fain, Del Rio et al ... HAL???

NavArch64

Received as from May about 20 e-mails with the name HAL@HOME.  Towne, countries, Hal music, Lincoln center etc.  See for part of the links in the emails: HollandAmericaFan on You Tube. For example:  Meet Kenneth White, a Wood Carver at the Saxman Native Village. 

Maybe the video's start your dreams too?

Edited by MAVIP
language

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Of course they don't "owe" an explanation, but to my mind HAL is "missing the boat" on a golden opportunity to communicate more during this period. When it comes to P.R. and outreach, HAL rarely takes advantage of opportunities to increase ties of loyalty. They don't do anything terribly wrong, they just don't do anything.

Delta's CEO sends a nice email every couple of weeks or so talking about the state of the industry, what Delta is doing, how they are staying afloat, keeping passengers safe. Viking has created an entire network of programming called Viking TV for goodness sake. 

If HAL wants to continue to capitalize on being the traditional brand with all the sailing history, why not use this time to create an interesting email campaign with snippets of historic info -- specific ship details or 'firsts' or interesting voyages of the past? It probably would take only a single talented intern to put something like that together.

Have you checked your preferences on your Mariner Society page?  Make sure it says e-mail...yes.  If it does then go into the HAL website as a stranger to HAL and sign up for e-mails again.  I get e-mails every week with lots of promo articles about cruise locations and special programs.

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Of course they don't "owe" an explanation, but to my mind HAL is "missing the boat" on a golden opportunity to communicate more during this period. When it comes to P.R. and outreach, HAL rarely takes advantage of opportunities to increase ties of loyalty. They don't do anything terribly wrong, they just don't do anything.

Delta's CEO sends a nice email every couple of weeks or so talking about the state of the industry, what Delta is doing, how they are staying afloat, keeping passengers safe. Viking has created an entire network of programming called Viking TV for goodness sake. 

If HAL wants to continue to capitalize on being the traditional brand with all the sailing history, why not use this time to create an interesting email campaign with snippets of historic info -- specific ship details or 'firsts' or interesting voyages of the past? It probably would take only a single talented intern to put something like that together.

An excellent post!!!!

Delta has done an excellent job of keeping us who fly Delta "in the loop".

Why do I hear from Oceania and Regent which I have never sailed and am unlikely to do so when I hear zip from HAL with my history with them?

11 hours ago, NavArch64 said:

Also ... from Cruise Industry News ... 10/8/20 ...

“At this time, we have every reason to be optimistic we will be sailing in the U.S. before year’s end,” said Arnold Donald, president and CEO of Carnival Corporation, on today’s third quarter earnings call.

The company’s Costa Cruises brand has already returned to service with two ships in the Mediterranean, soon to be joined by a third ship, the Costa Smeralda, according to Donald. They are sailing weeklong cruises from different Italian homeports. The sister brand, AIDA, is set to launch service later this month, also in the Mediterranean, with German passengers.

Donald explained that the ships are sailing with lower occupancy levels enabling the cruise lines to test and assess their health and safety protocols.

With national brands, Donald said Carnival is ideally positioned for a phased in return to service, as each brand can be restarted independently, and in most cases with ready access to drive-to markets.

Also, with a small percentage of the fleet entering service for now, he said, there will be less reliance on new-to-cruise, compared to all previous growth cycles that required the brands to tap more new passengers.

Added David Bernstein, CFO and chief accounting officer: “We are focused on assets that are cash generative, so we can pay down debt, rebuild our balance sheet and get back to investment grade rating.

“We are working through a number of different financial scenarios, but there is a lot of uncertainty involved so it is difficult to give (financial) guidance. (However), we expect over time to build occupancy up to generate positive cash flow and reduce the cash burn. The start up occupancy level is less than 50 percent. Over time, once we know we have things right, we will increase occupancy, while keeping social distancing in mind as well.”

I am much encouraged about the future of Carnival Corporation after reading this post.  I think I will maintain ownership of my shares in the Company.

Some time ago, I made a post that stated I believed that cruising would have to re-start one step at a time.  The cruise industry will need to re-invent themselves. Translate that to 2020 terms to mean one brand at a time. 

Consider how the automobile industry developed.  It began with a Ford.  Not a Mercury and a Lincoln all at the same time.  

For cruise brands under the CCL umbrella, North American cruising will begin, I think, with a Carnival ship or two "testing the waters".  If all goes well, a Princess ship and a HAL ship enters the market.

Cruising normality's return is going to take much time.  In a way--as I think about it--it's rather an interesting time to live as a cruiser.  I think we will be witnesses to the evolution of an industry that many of us enjoy.  

6 hours ago, iancal said:

Where will the ships sail to?  Most ports remain closed  to cruise ships......with good reason.  Mexico perhaps?

Mexico, Caribbean like Barbados, Cozumel etc, that's probably where it all starts..

9 hours ago, KirkNC said:

We never get HAL emails either except our monthly (or so) update on our luggage (which has been sitting in Florida for six weeks after sailing the seven seas for six months).

Just curious. How long did it take for them to find it? Have they kept you informed? Do they ever intend to return it?

9 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Just curious. How long did it take for them to find it? Have they kept you informed? Do they ever intend to return it?

It was never really lost it was just stuck on the ship.  In fact, it had lots of company as HAL said it had over 2,500 pieces of luggage.  The luggage sailed around for a while, sat off Manila for ever and was finally transferred to a container ship.  The container ship brought eight containers of luggage from Malaysia 🇲🇾 to Florida where it has now sat for six weeks clearing customs and waiting to be returned.  

We received very little communication initially, I think 3-4 emails during the initial six months of international travel.  I think we have received 3 emails since it’s arrival in the US.

Edited by KirkNC

14 hours ago, NavArch64 said:

Doesn't look great for HAL for Dec. 19 2020. They will probably follow well behind CCL, RCCL, NCL and MSC. 

I think you are mistaking Arnold Donald as the CEO of Carnival Cruise Lines, not Carnival Corp, under which HAL is a part.  Mr. Donald was representing all the lines under the Carnival Corp banner.  Just as Fain was representing Celebrity and other lines under the RCG banner, and Del Rio the lines like Oceania that are under the NCLH banner.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Mexico, Caribbean like Barbados, Cozumel etc, that's probably where it all starts..

Well, you are more optimistic than I.

I suspect it will be in Europe.  Unless things get under control I fail to see how any cruises can start in FLL.  I truly hope I am wrong and the virus is contained but right now, it certainly isn’t.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iancal said:

Do you think those Caribbean countries/ports will be open to cruise ships....other than Mexico.

Most are already open to foreign (including US) visitors with requirements of pre-screening.  Call me optimistic, but this tell me they're practicing a phased re-opening and could very well be ready to accept ships when cruising restarts.  So yes, I think many will be open.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kazu said:

I suspect it will be in Europe.  Unless things get under control I fail to see how any cruises can start in FLL.  I truly hope I am wrong and the virus is contained but right now, it certainly isn’t.

Jacqui, we're talking December, so no Europe, Barbados is open and so will other islands, unless we're getting into another disaster, we will be cruising out of FLL..

8 hours ago, kazu said:

Remember, the Governor of Florida has opened everything up. He told the Miami Dolphins they could have a full stadium for a football game. The Dolphins declined.