Where have The " regulars" Gone....DaiB....Selbourne....Andy...etc.

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Mmmmm Mr Farum HT and Mr Brunt DHT retired when we left. I may be older than you !

Is your school now a care home?

No its been demolished, Berry Hill, I was there in the 70's.

1 minute ago, Rupert2251 said:

No its been demolished, Berry Hill, I was there in the 70's.

Oh you are way away from us then 🙂 We are the northern end of the City .... drive past your old school (site) every day on the way to work though. Will wave tomorrow morning for you ! 

One of my favourite school dinner desserts was treacle tart covered with corn flakes and smothered in custard.

However I always had to hold my nose when we had chocolate sponge, the smell reminded me of the scouring shed in the local woolen mills, but it tasted far better than it smelled.

46 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Am I the only one who used to love school dinners? My favourites were liver and bacon followed by traffic lights semolina or gypsy tart. emoji4.png

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I liked some of the school dinners.

My late mam was a cook supervisor at a different school so we got school dinners for tea as well.🥴☹️

3 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

Went to the one that is no longer there just across the fields from where I think you are now. Mr Powell was our Head and Mr Bradbury was deputy.

Yes I went to the same school and Mr Powell was Headmaster when I was there and I left in 75. Used to walk to/from school from up by Spring Cottage 4 times a day on that lovely little village of Bentilee 😁

Edited by majortom10
2 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Yes I went to the same school and Mr Powell was Headmaster when I was there and left in 75. Used to walk to/from school from up by Spring Cottage 4 times a day on that lovely little village of Bentilee 😁

Lol I'm a Hanley lass and had to get the bus to Twigg Street, I did 74/78 maybe we passed in the corridor!

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

Am I the only one who used to love school dinners? My favourites were liver and bacon followed by traffic lights semolina or gypsy tart. emoji4.png

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think gypsy tart is quite unique to Kent.

I grew up in Essex, and had never heard of it until I moved to Kent 

20 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

One of my friends is fairly new to Kent and she hadn't heard of it either.

I used to make it myself but now it's just a rare treat from the local bakers. At school they used to dish it up with a slice of apple, as if that made it healthy 😂

11 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not in the grammar schools I went to!  And there was no sign of any rich kids - that's not the way it worked.

Exactly , my parents were very much working class but I went to Grammar school. In Kent we are one of the very places left who still have them!

Someone I’ve met through work, not having lived round here in her school days, used to make a few chippy remarks about me being a Grammar school girl if I used a ‘big word’ Used to make me laugh !

Edited by P&O SUE
1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

One of my friends is fairly new to Kent and she hadn't heard of it either.

I used to make it myself but now it's just a rare treat from the local bakers. At school they used to dish it up with a slice of apple, as if that made it healthy 😂

Can they call it that now?

6 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Did you go to the same school as me --- remember it well!

As for grammar schools - they all went comprehensive around here before I started middle school - so I am feeling very young (cough)

I think we are the same age give or take a year Presto but Kent stuck with the Grammars and I went. Still have them round here now! In ‘my day’ though the whole class took the test so it wasn’t too stressful. Now they only take it if they think they have a good chance of passing and often have it on a Saturday! Talk about pressure!

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

One of my favourite school dinner desserts was treacle tart covered with corn flakes and smothered in custard.

However I always had to hold my nose when we had chocolate sponge, the smell reminded me of the scouring shed in the local woolen mills, but it tasted far better than it smelled.

Cornflakes cake. Our local baker sells it which I occasionally buy, but it's very sweet. A place just down the road sells a bigger version but piled up like a nest.

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

During lockdown during Zoom Family Quizzes it came up that Gypsy Tart was invented here on Sheppey.

I live here and I didn't know!!!😆

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

I always thought a Gypsy Tart was rhyming slang for excessive wind, but as a Colchester Grammar school kid, what do I know?

CRGS is still going strong, and a very good school, as I'm sure you know - though much more difficult to get into these days than it would have been in my time.  The percentage passing the 11+ is quite low in Essex, I believe, because of the small number of Grammar Schools.  Rather more, in percentage terms, pass where you live now because of the higher number of Grammar Schools.

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

CRGS is still going strong, and a very good school, as I'm sure you know - though much more difficult to get into these days than it would have been in my time.  The percentage passing the 11+ is quite low in Essex, I believe, because of the small number of Grammar Schools.  Rather more, in percentage terms, pass where you live now because of the higher number of Grammar Schools.

Free Grammar schools in our area are very rare and my son was checking the situation for our eldest grandson who will be 10 in November.  A tutor they had been using during the school closure advised them that despite our grandson being ahead of his year in most subjects, he would need to undertake a regular course of extra exam study to have any chance of passing the entrance exam, and he was not touting for extra work. 

Reading through this thread has bought back some memories of my school dinners too. I remember having spam fritters, great big rounds covered in batter, and puddings would semolina, sponge covered with jam and coconut on top and not forgetting the pink custard! 

5 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I can still remember some of the words to the school song. I doubt schools today have such a thing. 

12 hours ago, emam said:

What is it?

Pastry base with a filling made from evaporated milk whisked with muscovado sugar, baked and often topped with chocolate strands, very very sweet.

Gypsy Tart.jpg

32 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Pastry base with a filling made from evaporated milk whisked with muscovado sugar, baked and often topped with chocolate strands, very very sweet.

Gypsy Tart.jpg

Thanks, Sarah.  Never heard of this, despite having lived in Kent once. 

Worth making maybe?

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/apr/03/the-perfect-gypsy-tart-recipe-dessert-felicity-cloake

Another memory just came to mind about school dinners. In my early years at junior school we didn't have a dining hall on site, we had to walk as a large group across the town to a massive one (well it seemed like it at the time) where most of the local schools attended. When the older kids at the front got to the last corner the message started to trickle back to us at the back. Then when we got there the smell just hit you right in the face ......CHEESE PIE!! It was horrendous, I hated the stuff but it was a case of eat it or do without!

15 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thanks, Sarah.  Never heard of this, despite having lived in Kent once. 

Worth making maybe?

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/apr/03/the-perfect-gypsy-tart-recipe-dessert-felicity-cloake

If you have a sweet tooth then yes, definitely give it a try. I haven't made it recently, but when I do I use the Gary Rhodes recipe. It's handy, but not essential, to have a free standing mixer as it needs a lot of whisking.