Where have The " regulars" Gone....DaiB....Selbourne....Andy...etc.

janny444

14 hours ago, zap99 said:

Can they call it that now?

Well, they certainly do Zap! I'm originally a Kentish Man and my Mum used to make a lovely Gypsy Tart. I hadn't had it for years when a few years back, whilst living in Brighton, it suddenly appeared on the shelves in the local Asda. I gave it a go but despite still having a sweet tooth, found it too sweet and sickly. It was made by a bakery in Broadstairs.

Well, when I mentioned that review, school dinners and Grammar School, I would never have thought it would lead to all this discussion. The joys of 'thread drift' 😄. I had to take the 11+ to go to the Grammar School. Us kids from a working class background were definitely in the minority at my school. The majority were middle to upper-middle class. Not many from council estates like me.

I used to actually like Spam Fritters, although not keen on the salad served with them, especially the beetroot! I enjoyed semolina with a swirl of either brown sugar or jam and also the sponge puddings - chocolate or plain topped with jam and coconut.

My school only played either rugby or hockey in winter and cricket or athletics in summer. It is still very much in existence, having been founded in 1576! From looking at its website, it is a very different place now - even admitting girls from 6th form 😱😂.  They undoubtedly now talk about the most famous former pupil, Mick Jagger as they have a Performing Arts Centre named after him. In my day, he wasn't spoken about 🤣.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wowzz said:

I always thought a Gypsy Tart was rhyming slang for excessive wind, but as a Colchester Grammar school kid, what do I know?

No surprise really considering you are one of that lot over the other side of the Thames...😉😂

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Well, they certainly do Zap! I'm originally a Kentish Man and my Mum used to make a lovely Gypsy Tart. I hadn't had it for years when a few years back, whilst living in Brighton, it suddenly appeared on the shelves in the local Asda. I gave it a go but despite still having a sweet tooth, found it too sweet and sickly. It was made by a bakery in Broadstairs.

Well, when I mentioned that review, school dinners and Grammar School, I would never have thought it would lead to all this discussion. The joys of 'thread drift' 😄. I had to take the 11+ to go to the Grammar School. Us kids from a working class background were definitely in the minority at my school. The majority were middle to upper-middle class. Not many from council estates like me.

I used to actually like Spam Fritters, although not keen on the salad served with them, especially the beetroot! I enjoyed semolina with a swirl of either brown sugar or jam and also the sponge puddings - chocolate or plain topped with jam and coconut.

My school only played either rugby or hockey in winter and cricket or athletics in summer. It is still very much in existence, having been founded in 1576! From looking at its website, it is a very different place now - even admitting girls from 6th form 😱😂.  They undoubtedly now talk about the most famous former pupil, Mick Jagger as they have a Performing Arts Centre named after him. In my day, he wasn't spoken about 🤣.

I was just thinking it’s funny how this thread has drifted into schools and school dinners!

I’m one of those strange people who hate milky things, custard , rice pudding etc - yuk! We always say I was born not liking milk,  my mum had to write a note every school year excusing me from the school milk!

2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Pastry base with a filling made from evaporated milk whisked with muscovado sugar, baked and often topped with chocolate strands, very very sweet.

Gypsy Tart.jpg

That looks lovely, but the mention of evaporated milk put me off straight away. I hate the taste, it reminds me of sterilised milk. Yuk 😬

Avril

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I’m one of those strange people who hate milky things, custard , rice pudding etc - yuk! We always say I was born not liking milk,  my mum had to write a note every school year excusing me from the school milk!

My youngest daughter is just as strange, hates anything milky. She's even allergic to chocolate, poor thing😒

Avril

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

My youngest daughter is just as strange, hates anything milky. She's even allergic to chocolate, poor thing😒

Avril

Aah well I have no problems with chocolate! 😃 I think it’s a texture thing! I like to think we are ‘special’ rather than strange 😛

Edited by P&O SUE

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Most of the kids in my grammar school were either from council estates (like me) or farmers children from the surrounding villages.  As for school dinners, most of ours were fine and certainly worth the bob that it cost!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Aah well I have no problems with chocolate! 😃 I think it’s a texture thing! I like to think we are ‘special’ rather than strange 😛

She only developed her allergy to chocolate after her son was born. Now that's definitely strange😊

Avril

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SarahHben said:

If you have a sweet tooth then yes, definitely give it a try. I haven't made it recently, but when I do I use the Gary Rhodes recipe. It's handy, but not essential, to have a free standing mixer as it needs a lot of whisking.

Although I've lived in Kent for nearly 40 years, I've only had gypsy tart on a couple of occasions, as it's too sweet for me.

Gary Rhodes was a Kent boy, from Gillingham/Rainham area.  Arcadian Rhodes remains my favourite select dining venue, and we had the pleasure of meeting Gary on one cruise. A really nice bloke 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

In my area of Essex, we went comprehensive the year I would have taken my 11+

The teachers said that we could take the 11+ if we wished, and if we passed we could apply to a grammar school in Southend.

None of us took the 11+ as we didn't like the idea of travelling on the train to school everyday, and we all wanted to stick together.

As it turned out, the comprehensive was excellent. In the top two classes of my year, we all did some of our O levels a year early and did some extra O levels in our final year. This was up to age 16, and after that we went on to '6th form college' 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Arcadian Rhodes remains my favourite select dining venue, and we had the pleasure of meeting Gary on one cruise. A really nice bloke 

We've enjoyed many wonderful meals there too. I was so disappointed when it disappeared. MPW is not a good substitute imo.  Gary's death was a terrible shock.

Avril

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

We've enjoyed many wonderful meals there too. I was so disappointed when it disappeared. MPW is not a good substitute imo.  Gary's death was a terrible shock.

Avril

We went to Gary's cooking exhibition on Arcadia in April 2005.

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

In my area of Essex, we went comprehensive the year I would have taken my 11+

The teachers said that we could take the 11+ if we wished, and if we passed we could apply to a grammar school in Southend.

None of us took the 11+ as we didn't like the idea of travelling on the train to school everyday, and we all wanted to stick together.

As it turned out, the comprehensive was excellent. In the top two classes of my year, we all did some of our O levels a year early and did some extra O levels in our final year. This was up to age 16, and after that we went on to '6th form college' 

I also went to school in Essex (Saffron Walden) Everyone took the 11+ but most people went to the comprehensive even if they passed the 11+ as the nearest Girls Grammar school was about 12 miles away,(The boys grammar was closer)It was a good school with a nice mix of pupils from all backgrounds and I and most of my close friends went on to either University or Higher Education.

• Like 2

I lived in central Romford but moved to the outskirts when I was nine. Passed the eleven plus and went to a school in the same street I left two years previously. Took me two buses to get there. Made some wonderful friends who lived from all over the area. Know all the areas talked about previously on this thread, my other half comes from Grays. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer
  • Like 2

This is turning in to another version of Friends Reunited ... ha ha  ..... a small world when 2 of you lived in an area I drive through everyday and work not far from. It would be great to meet up one day on a ship, cocktail in hand and no Covid worries 😉

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Although I've lived in Kent for nearly 40 years, I've only had gypsy tart on a couple of occasions, as it's too sweet for me.

Gary Rhodes was a Kent boy, from Gillingham/Rainham area.  Arcadian Rhodes remains my favourite select dining venue, and we had the pleasure of meeting Gary on one cruise. A really nice bloke 

I worked with his brother. One day I went to make a coffee. On the way back to my office I said to Chris " on the sugar packet is a competition, win a phone call from Gary Rhodes". He was going to get their Mum to enter.,🤣

• Like 3

On 10/10/2020 at 3:07 PM, janny444 said:

I am not sure if I should be asking this question but I only come onto this Forum every so often but I have noticed that a few of the regulars who always give sound....sometimes hilarious...comments seem to missing which is a pity as I always valued their comments. Maybe i am not looking on the right threads and  I hope you " long standing regulars" are still posting....if you are I will have to scrutinise every thread and post to find you ! 🤥 

Well it’s nice to know that I’ve been missed 😂. I still look at the site from time to time to catch up on news on cancellations, Iona etc but stopped posting some time back. I genuinely tried  to cancel my account but, try as I might, I couldn’t find a way to do it. 

I should perhaps apologise for departing so abruptly and, although more people are understandably more interested in discussing school dinners than those of us who have populated this board for many years (major thread drift is still alive and well I see 🙄) I would like to reassure Graham and others who have very kindly asked after my welfare that I am absolutely fine. I am currently sat in a holiday cottage in Cowes and we have just watched Aurora sail past outside, which made me think of you all, hence spotting this thread with my name in the title. 

I guess that I am annoyed with myself as I let one poster really irritate me. It seemed at the time that those of use who were expressing concern about cruising in the current climate were being shouted down by those who took the opposite view and the debate was becoming one sided as a result. I have also been misquoted by that poster since, but that’s water under the bridge now. With no cruises happening, there was an inevitability that conversations were going around and around, but another poster, who I have a lot of respect for, said that some of my comments had made them cringe and I guess that hurt a bit so I decided it was best to withdraw. 

Anyway, that’s what I should have said some time ago to explain my departure and thank you to those who have enquired after me. All is well in the Selbourne household and I hope that’s the case with all of you? Now you can all get back to discussing school dinners 😂 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Well it’s nice to know that I’ve been missed 😂. I still look at the site from time to time to catch up on news on cancellations, Iona etc but stopped posting some time back. I genuinely tried  to cancel my account but, try as I might, I couldn’t find a way to do it. 

I should perhaps apologise for departing so abruptly and, although more people are understandably more interested in discussing school dinners than those of us who have populated this board for many years (major thread drift is still alive and well I see 🙄) I would like to reassure Graham and others who have very kindly asked after my welfare that I am absolutely fine. I am currently sat in a holiday cottage in Cowes and we have just watched Aurora sail past outside, which made me think of you all, hence spotting this thread with my name in the title. 

I guess that I am annoyed with myself as I let one poster really irritate me. It seemed at the time that those of use who were expressing concern about cruising in the current climate were being shouted down by those who took the opposite view and the debate was becoming one sided as a result. I have also been misquoted by that poster since, but that’s water under the bridge now. With no cruises happening, there was an inevitability that conversations were going around and around, but another poster, who I have a lot of respect for, said that some of my comments had made them cringe and I guess that hurt a bit so I decided it was best to withdraw. 

Anyway, that’s what I should have said some time ago to explain my departure and thank you to those who have enquired after me. All is well in the Selbourne household and I hope that’s the case with all of you? Now you can all get back to discussing school dinners 😂 

Pleased to hear that all is well with you. As others have said you have been missed! Hope you enjoy your break in Cowes. A few of us have recently had holidays in the UK recently and whilst it did not replace our planned cruises it has been good to have a change of scenery. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yes you have been missed. I always enjoyed your sensible contributions.

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Nice to hear from you Selborne. 

Enjoy the IOW. 

Andy 

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Selbourne.

I am truly delighted to hear from you and happy you are well and having a great holiday in Cowes.

Your informative and interesting posts were always very helpful and always a must read for me.

Please keep in touch as myself and many others on here were upset that you wanted to stop posting and I totally understand as I have thought of stopping posting on a few occasions myself.

Take care

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 8