News about independent tours not being permitted?

Petoonya

I saw it mentioned here a couple weeks ago that it's possible that WS will no longer permit independent tours based on CDC recommendations. I know other lines have already adopted this, like Oceania. Has anyone heard what WS has planned? Maybe they won't address it until their ships start sailing again? I'd have strong second thoughts about cruising if that's the way it'll be.

Nancy

The leaders of the five largest cruise lines met with VP Pence to try to get the CDC restrictions on cruise line sailings  lifted. At that meeting the recommendations of the Healthy Sail Panel were discussed as a vehicle to convince the administration to direct the CDC to lift the ban. Listed below are the five major recommendations of the panel including restrictions on passengers shore activities. Again the current and proposed restrictions only apply to areas of CDC jurisdiction but some of the recommendations have already been adopted by international cruise lines as well.

The Healthy Sail Panel's 65-plus-page report includes 74 detailed best practices to protect the public health and the safety of passengers, crew and the communities where cruise ships call.

Five key areas

There are five key areas. First, aggressive measures to prevent SARS-CoV-2 from entering a ship through robust education, screening and testing of crew and guests prior to embarkation. Second, reducing transmission via air management strategies and enhanced sanitation practices. Third, implementing detailed plans to address infection on board, including contingencies for on-board treatment, isolation and rapid evacuation and repatriation. Fourth, closely controlling shore excursions and fifth, enhanced protection for crew.

So is Windstar signing onto this? If so, I will be cancelling Tahiti in January. I will not cruise with a mask and wil not be limited in going ashore. This would be the end of curing for me if all cruise lines adopt these ridiculous rules.

• Like 1

I agree baffled at  refusing to wear a mask. Masks protect people, it is for the common good of all. We really need a vaccine based on medical science to get rid of this virus so we can all cruise safely and happily again. As time goes on and all the upticks in the world I am not sure I want to sail without a vaccine. Sailing before a vaccine  I would be very  annoyed by those not wearing masks, how happy and relaxing can that be? Fingers crossed for a vaccine. Be safe all. 

• Like 1

There's a difference between refusing to wear a mask ever, and saying that the need to wear a mask takes away too much pleasure to allow enjoyment of an expensive cruise.  I keep a mask in my car and put it on when I'm going into a store or library, but that only amounts to a few minutes at a time and I am glad to rip it off as soon as I get back in my car.  I can't concieve of wearing a mask throughout the day, as would be required on shore excursions.  And yes I know that front-line workers have to do this, and this is just one more reason why my hat is off to them – but it's not for me.

• Like 1

I agree that the successful development of a vaccine is an important step towards getting some control over COVID. The reality however is that surveys show that 50% of people say they will not take the vaccine. Unfortunately this depends on political affiliations and general aversion to all vaccines. Also, some studies indicate that the vaccine may only be 50% effective. The result, as few as 25% of people will be effectively covered once a vaccine is available.  Add to this the fact that the broad availability of any vaccine could stretch well into mid to late 2021. 
My guess is that if you are reading this you may qualify as an age group that would get some priority for shots but the reality is that the vaccine is no major panacea and that masks and social distancing are going to be a way of life for smart people for quite awhile. 

• Like 2

I spoke with my very knowledgeable Oceania travel agent this morning asking about just this. From reading the CC Oceania board I thought mandatory "ships tours only" was a done deal. But my TA said that while this has been proposed by O, they haven't committed to it. So it's just a maybe-maybe-not.

Thanks for the info in both posts Barrycat.

Agree with you too O2B@Cagain. Some of the changes are going to be with us for a long time if not forever. Seems like masks might be in the "forever" slot. I'm accepting of all cruising changes, but the independent tours. As much as ship's tours are in everyone's best interest, they are my tipping point and I'd do land.

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1

Do keep in mind that some parts of the Caribbean have already implemented or are considering implementing “safe corridors” for land tourists. St Lucia is one of them and on WS itinerary rotation. Visitors are only permitted to stay at approved resorts and use approved tour providers. No touring off on your own. I can only imagine the same expectation to use approved tour providers (likely provided by the cruise line) would be placed upon visitors arriving by cruise. If WS does not follow the CLIA proposal, there may be other restrictions based on the port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

20 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

There's a difference between refusing to wear a mask ever, and saying that the need to wear a mask takes away too much pleasure to allow enjoyment of an expensive cruise.  I keep a mask in my car and put it on when I'm going into a store or library, but that only amounts to a few minutes at a time and I am glad to rip it off as soon as I get back in my car.  I can't concieve of wearing a mask throughout the day, as would be required on shore excursions.  And yes I know that front-line workers have to do this, and this is just one more reason why my hat is off to them – but it's not for me.

I can understand your first sentence.  But wearing a mask for an extended period, even "throughout the day," is a non-issue.  Really.  And writing anything that might discourage others from wearing masks is just counter-productive to our successfully and quickly surviving this pandemic.

Here is a very detailed report on how Costa is handling cruise excursions and social distancing. 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23627-what-it-s-like-to-cruise-with-costa-during-the-pandemic.html

Here is the part relevant to this thread:

"Land excursions that are independent of the cruise operator are not allowed."

I will not be cruising if this is what it is going to be like. Unfortunately, cruising is the most vulnerable form of travel when it comes to being impacted by contagious disease, as we have seen for years with Noro.

Edited by Mercruiser

On 10/12/2020 at 2:48 AM, ellbon said:

No one will cruise if they can not go out to eat,shop, museums etc on their own

Whenever I explain why we cruise and why Windstar to people who start our saying "I will never set foot on a cruise ship" a major part of the answer is what's stated above. I describe it as you cruise every night when you're sleeping and wake up the next morning in another amazing port. Then you're free to do whatever you want to - for us we mostly explore the culture of each place, which quite often is by foot, finding a local place for lunch, etc.

If the future for WS is just getting of the ship and being herded into a bus every day, we're done. That's not the point for us.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

I can understand your first sentence.  But wearing a mask for an extended period, even "throughout the day," is a non-issue.  Really.  And writing anything that might discourage others from wearing masks is just counter-productive to our successfully and quickly surviving this pandemic.

I can understand all your sentences.  But I disagree that you have the right to tell everyone else what to say and not say.  Really.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I can understand all your sentences.  But I disagree that you have the right to tell everyone else what to say and not say.  Really.

I didn't tell anyone what to say or not say.  Really.  So you didn't understand all my sentences.  What I said was "writing anything that might discourage others from wearing masks is just counter-productive to our successfully and quickly surviving this pandemic."  And I firmly believe it is.

You have every right to write whatever you'd like.  I have the right to express my opinion on what someone else writes.  That's the purpose of a forum.

Edited by marinaro44

On 10/11/2020 at 8:10 PM, susiesan said:

This would be the end of cruising for me if all cruise lines adopt these ridiculous rules.

Sorry that this will be the end of cruising for you. 
But I respectfully disagree that these are ridiculous rules. We may not like them, but they are necessary steps. By now, it’s clear that they do work. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

I didn't tell anyone what to say or not say.  Really.  So you didn't understand all my sentences.  What I said was "writing anything that might discourage others from wearing masks is just counter-productive to our successfully and quickly surviving this pandemic."  And I firmly believe it is.

You have every right to write whatever you'd like.  I have the right to express my opinion on what someone else writes.  That's the purpose of a forum.

Only my wife has the right to nag me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/12/2020 at 2:10 AM, susiesan said:

So is Windstar signing onto this? If so, I will be cancelling Tahiti in January. I will not cruise with a mask and wil not be limited in going ashore. This would be the end of curing for me if all cruise lines adopt these ridiculous rules.

Japan, Taiwan, and South Korea have many things in common - including their proximity to the original source of the COVID Virus.

They also have high density populations, elevating the risk of infection.

Yet, these 3 countries have surprisingly low infection and death rates from COVID.

They also have cruise ships currently calling at their ports - with zero infections onboard.

How is this possible?

Easy answer. Good manners and social responsibility.

People in those countries understand that masks are primarily not protection for you, but protection for those around you.

Wearing masks demonstrates respect and care for the health of people in your vicinity.

Unfortunately there are some countries that do not share these important values.

The results are painfully obvious to everyone.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Me too 

I am on vacation now in Arizona, visiting National Parks,  Sedona, doing a lot of hiking. What baffles me is all the people I see on the trails hiking alone or as a  couple wearing masks outside. These people have been brainwashed with fear. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, susiesan said:

I am on vacation now in Arizona, visiting National Parks,  Sedona, doing a lot of hiking. What baffles me is all the people I see on the trails hiking alone or as a  couple wearing masks outside. These people have been brainwashed with fear. 

I usually don’t wear a mask when in a situation like that, but I always carry one so that when I encounter others on a trail (such as you described) I can put it on. I suspect that is what is happening in your case as well

• Like 1

How lucky Susiesan was to find such a remote and unpopular hiking spot that the did not pass anyone either going in the same or opposite direction. If that were not the case I’m sure that she would be thankful that those fellow hikers were considerate enough of her health and well being to wear a mask.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1