Picture-A-Week 2020 - Week 42

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, October 12 and Sunday, October 18.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Out in the garden this morning  ... love these little guys. CC compresses files so much ... it's a shame as it doesn't look near as good as on my screen in full resolution.

Looking at the seed

DSC06697.thumb.jpg.1f0fb22f5598c3648a243654ebaff9ff.jpg

Decides on one

DSC06693-2.jpg

Spots me with the camera

DSC06694.jpg

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 4

"The West coast has the sunshine and the girls all get so tanned". So go the lyrics of the iconic Beach Boys song. 2020 hasn't had much of an effect on the sunshine, but the tanning part has taken a bit of a hit. An afternoon down by the beach with the family was a pleasant break from the static world view that our least favorite year has imposed on us and walking around a classically California beach community with shops and restaurants doing their best to survive the edicts handed down by the PTBs (Powers That Be) set my mind wandering. Walking along the beach, I wondered what effect masks would have on the “girls all get so tanned” line of the song. What was not in question was the line about “the cutest girls in the world”. I offer our granddaughters as proof.

California Girls

p4021486600-5.jpg

Dave

Edited by pierces
  • Like 1

Some shooting from Saturday out in the wetlands, but also from my backyard - I was going to share just the 'pretty' shots of bird and reptiles, but one thing that was unique this weekend was the variety of raptors that were around - especially in my yard while shooting from the swimming pool.  So here's a selection:

First, one of the continuing wave of migrating birds passing through - a lovely prairie warbler:

original.jpg

This adorable black-bellied whistling duckling had spent a little time picking up leaves from the spot it wanted to lay down, and moving them off to the side - the brown leaves it moved ended up making a neat little ring around it:

original.jpg

A great egret soaring past me, low over the water:

original.jpg

And now for the raptor selection on Saturday, starting with this osprey giving me the stare as it aborted a fishing dive:

original.jpg

When I got home and jumped in the pool to cool off from the hot day in the wetlands, the first raptor visitor was my 'regular' serial killer, Cooper.  Cooper has been hunting my yard for blue jays and doves for years now, and is very successful, which is why he sticks around.  He's a Cooper's Hawk:

original.jpg

One of the more distant and more surprising sightings is a bird we don't really have down here in S. Florida - but at least twice a year we can get lucky and spot them as they move from their far north tundra grounds down to South America, passing over Florida's peninsula (peregrines are one of the longest migrating distance birds):

original.jpg

The final raptor from Saturday was a flyover of a red-tailed hawk, again not a hawk very common in my area.  I think it might have seen all the other raptors around, and heard all the birds at the feeders in my yard, and decided to have a look to see what it was missing:

original.jpg

• Like 3