Yacht Club Interior or Aurea Balcony??

Chrisfromco

Hi everyone!

I've been reading lots of good stuff about the Yacht Club experience. I'm wondering if the experience is worth giving up a balcony? It looks like the price between the two choices is very similar. We're thinking of trying MSC as a make up vacation in April for my son's graduation trip (2020) He is taking a couple of friends and they will share a standard interior or ocean view. I'm trying to decide if my wife and I would enjoy the perks of the Yacht Club enough to offset not having a balcony. We've enjoyed spending time in the thermal suites on other lines and the idea of a smaller restaurant for the two of us is interesting! Just not sure if I could do without the sound of the ocean in our room. Lol!! It's for the Meriviglia Eastern Caribbean itinerary. Any feedback would be much appreciated!!

Chris

Spa access is still available with the YC but not the massage, the drink package in Aurea was downgraded to the Easy package, YC comes with a far better package and also WiFi 

We have sailed in Aurea on four occasions and had the premium drink package before it was downgraded. For our next cruise we decided to move to the YC.

• Thanks 1

The yacht Club is worth it, only thing is you will only want to cruise YC.  We are actually looking at an inside YC for next year.  Pricing for YC balcony has increased since our last cruise.

As for drink packages, you can upgrade from the Easy Package to better package if not in YC.

• Thanks 1

We had the choice of a smaller YC stateroom or an Aurea Suite when we sailed aboard the Meraviglia in the Mediterranean. We went with the Aurea Suite. Absolutely LOVED it. Very satisfied with our decision. Even though we didn’t have as many perks or the exclusivity of the YC, we thoroughly enjoyed the perks that did come with our Aurea suite. I believe that I would’ve been miserable traveling in an inside stateroom for the sake of extra perks. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While I  would love to sail in YC, my DW would not give up her balcony and neither would I.  We've sailed 8 times with MSC and the food in MDR on our Caribbean cruise was excellent.  Combined with Aurea 'anytime dining', we felt no need for speciality dining.  If you want the fawning service if YC,  perhaps but we wouldn't sacrifice a balcony for inside YC. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chrisfromco said:

I've been reading lots of good stuff about the Yacht Club experience. I'm wondering if the experience is worth giving up a balcony?....

IMHO, and my DWs opinion also, a resounding yes! We have sailed both inside and balcony equal times on many lines. On Meraviglia we have sailed YC on 2 occasions....once in an inside, and then a deluxe suite (balcony). Without a doubt, the deluxe suite is far superior to the inside....but we agreed that we'd always choose YC inside, rather than a non-YC balcony, because the YC experience is superb!

• Thanks 1

We did our first YC interior last year, Meraviglia and also on Seaside, we had reservations but it was absolutely fine. We'd normally book a balcony cabin, either Aurea or YC. We didn't miss the balcony at all really. I'd chose YC interior over Aurea balcony every time. 

We've always had a great experience with Aurea too but if the cost was nearly the same, YC would definitely win. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the feedback!! I really appreciate it! Sounds like I will be happy either way! I'm hopeful if I book a YC interior, I might be able to upgrade for a better price depending on how all the COVID stuff shakes out. Right now it's almost double the price to move from interior to deluxe suite for YC. 

Edited by Chrisfromco

1 hour ago, Chrisfromco said:

Thank you all for the feedback!! I really appreciate it! Sounds like I will be happy either way! I'm hopeful if I book a YC interior, I might be able to upgrade for a better price depending on how all the COVID stuff shakes out. Right now it's almost double the price to move from interior to deluxe suite for YC. 

If I read your original post correctly, your son & friends are also sailing with you. Keep in mind that they will not be able to join you for dinner in the YC or in any other of the YC venues (though I think you might could have them come to your cabin but I’m not certain of that). So if you are wanting to dine with them, you and your DW will be dining outside of YC.

I believe I am correct on these points but as I’ve only sailed YC once, I could be mistaken; I’m sure corrections will be posted, if needed.

1 hour ago, gotta cruise again said:

If I read your original post correctly, your son & friends are also sailing with you. Keep in mind that they will not be able to join you for dinner in the YC or in any other of the YC venues (though I think you might could have them come to your cabin but I’m not certain of that). So if you are wanting to dine with them, you and your DW will be dining outside of YC.

I believe I am correct on these points but as I’ve only sailed YC once, I could be mistaken; I’m sure corrections will be posted, if needed.

I think as in all things MSC it depends on the ship, staff, day and location. We discovered that a couple of friends were on the same cruise as us and asked if we could show them our cabin, YC royal on Preziosa. They said yes! A butler would greet them at an arranged time, show them the YC and our cabin. The butler did finally leave us alone (for a short period of time) in the cabin.

On the Seaview we asked if we could escape the YC to have Christmas dinner in the MDR. The MDR said yes but would need YC approval who tried to make it overly complicated but they finally made the plans for us! I'm not sure how difficult it would be to arrange family meals in the MDR. I'm sure that they can make it happen. We're already planning our escape for Christmas 2021! 

8 hours ago, gotta cruise again said:

All of that is correct, and def something for the OP to consider!

If others not in YC I'd say no.  Whenever you'd want to be with them, it would all be outside YC.

Our kids had a YIN on Seaside.  Fine enough room but coffin size shower.  If you'd invite them to room, it would be four people looking at each other wanting out.

Is this for Meraviglia?

Is four in a YC Deluxe an option or two level duplex?  The duplex would run a bit high but you'd have privacy and full YC.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dexddd said:

If others not in YC I'd say no.  Whenever you'd want to be with them, it would all be outside YC.

Our kids had a YIN on Seaside.  Fine enough room but coffin size shower.  If you'd invite them to room, it would be four people looking at each other wanting out.

Is this for Meraviglia?

Is four in a YC Deluxe an option or two level duplex?  The duplex would run a bit high but you'd have privacy and full YC.

The OP said son and 2 friends --sharing with OP and husband!!!

On 10/13/2020 at 9:31 PM, Chrisfromco said:

...We're thinking of trying MSC as a make up vacation in April for my son's graduation trip (2020) He is taking a couple of friends and they will share a standard interior or ocean view. I'm trying to decide if my wife and I would enjoy the perks of the Yacht Club enough to offset not having a balcony...

11 hours ago, emmas gran said:

The OP said son and 2 friends --sharing with OP and husband!!!

That's not what the OP said, see quote above, they will have their own cabin!

Sorry Hamrag  this is what DEXDDD posted and I was replying to this

Is four in a YC Deluxe an option or two level duplex?  The duplex would run a bit high but you'd have privacy and full

YC.

The OP states 5 people total  (them, son and a couple of friends) and he is quoting 4 in a Duplex

3 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Sorry Hamrag  this is what DEXDDD posted and I was replying to this

Is four in a YC Deluxe an option or two level duplex?  The duplex would run a bit high but you'd have privacy and full

YC.

The OP states 5 people total  (them, son and a couple of friends) and he is quoting 4 in a Duplex

Oh the travesty.

Thanks for the additional feedback regarding being separated. After weighing all of this I think we'll go with Aurea for this one. If we enjoy MSC, I'll shoot for YC on the new ship (Seashore) for 2022 when it would likely be just my wife and I.  Thanks again and happy sailing to you all!!

• Like 6

Personally, I think you have made a good decision.

We cruised on MSC last January, in a Bella cabin.  Everything about the cruise was outstanding, from the cabin to dining to entertainment to the service we received from all departments.

I know Yacht Club as many fans, but I don't see the appeal.  We had no complaints about Bella.

• Thanks 1

We did an Aurea balcony on the Seaside in 2018 and a YC Deluxe Suite on the Meraviglia in 2019 (originally an Inside cabin but we bid on an upgrade and got it). Hands down, the YC was the winner for us. We enjoyed the quiet, the exclusivity, the pampering, the butler, etc. We'd do YC again in a heartbeat, but would definitely do another Aurea balcony if YC were too expensive.

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2020 at 9:31 PM, Chrisfromco said:

Hi everyone!

I've been reading lots of good stuff about the Yacht Club experience. I'm wondering if the experience is worth giving up a balcony? It looks like the price between the two choices is very similar. We're thinking of trying MSC as a make up vacation in April for my son's graduation trip (2020) He is taking a couple of friends and they will share a standard interior or ocean view. I'm trying to decide if my wife and I would enjoy the perks of the Yacht Club enough to offset not having a balcony. We've enjoyed spending time in the thermal suites on other lines and the idea of a smaller restaurant for the two of us is interesting! Just not sure if I could do without the sound of the ocean in our room. Lol!! It's for the Meriviglia Eastern Caribbean itinerary. Any feedback would be much appreciated!!

Chris

Last year for the first time we did YC Interior. It was good, but we asked at concierge and after a few days paid what we thought a reasonable price to move to a YC balcony. We would have been more than OK in the inside but got lucky. While in the inside there was space and then using the lounge and deck space we did not miss the balcony.

BUT at the moment with your choice I would book AUREA BALCONY every time - yes not the same experience - but if the ship is in anyway locked down for a period of time due to COVID you have the balcony for air and outside space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, clydecruiser said:

4 hours ago, clydecruiser said:

Last year for the first time we did YC Interior. It was good, but we asked at concierge and after a few days paid what we thought a reasonable price to move to a YC balcony. We would have been more than OK in the inside but got lucky. While in the inside there was space and then using the lounge and deck space we did not miss the balcony.

BUT at the moment with your choice I would book AUREA BALCONY every time - yes not the same experience - but if the ship is in anyway locked down for a period of time due to COVID you have the balcony for air and outside space.

I would also book the Aurea Balcony for the reason given

• Thanks 1

I'm booked Aurea balcony on the Seashore, which has it's own sun deck, access to thermal suite, 2 massages, and on that ship, it's own restaurant, and the Easy drink pkg, from which you can upgrade. To me, it's a much better deal than the YC interior.

• Thanks 1

Until I see the cruise line policy for what happens when an outbreak occurs, there is no way I would consider an inside cabin. I can't even imagine being stuck in an inside cabin during any type quarantine. Given that you are traveling with people who will be outside of YC and we have no idea what the 'new' policies will be for people visiting YC,  I would take the balcony where your family can be together on the trip (and if something happens you have access to fresh air). 

• Thanks 1