P&O Cruise with Confidence

molecrochip

16 hours ago, Bazrat said:

Not really comparing like with like, but we only ever book cruises on itinerary and price so have no real affinity with any cruise line just particular ships.

My affinity is more to a style of cruising. More traditional and on smaller ships. I have enjoyed my cruises on Oriana, Aurora and Arcadia but not those on Azura. I will hopefully book a cruise on Aurora for 2022 as I fear it might be my last chance.

P&O are now a very 'corporate' company, which given their size and that they are part of Carnival Corporation, is understandable. Fred Olsen are obviously a commercial enterprise, there to make money but seem to have a much better way of interacting with their pax.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Britboys said:

My affinity is more to a style of cruising. More traditional and on smaller ships. I have enjoyed my cruises on Oriana, Aurora and Arcadia but not those on Azura. I will hopefully book a cruise on Aurora for 2022 as I fear it might be my last chance.

P&O are now a very 'corporate' company, which given their size and that they are part of Carnival Corporation, is understandable. Fred Olsen are obviously a commercial enterprise, there to make money but seem to have a much better way of interacting with their pax.

you would expect smaller companies to be more in touch with there customers and the services they offer more Intune with there market segment, but would we pay the extra for that bit more special treatment i doubt it unless it was a special occasion, saying that each to there own at least there is a choice now long may it continue assuming there are any company's left next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

I read saw an article on google about social distancing.  It was asking what happens if they have oversold cabins to allow for the percentage of occupancy they are allowed to sail at?  

....and did it come up with any definitive answers?

55 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I have read that guidance about 3 times and I can't see anywhere that it says there will be reduced numbers?

Possibly not, but it does say they will have dedicated quarantine cabins, which means they do intend having some area empty.

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

I have read that guidance about 3 times and I can't see anywhere that it says there will be reduced numbers?

While shoreside restaurants have to follow distancing rules and reduce sittings surely ships will also need to do the same.

On 10/18/2020 at 12:03 PM, terrierjohn said:

Possibly not, but it does say they will have dedicated quarantine cabins, which means they do intend having some area empty.

yes, I am sure they always have some cabins free anyway in case of emergency.

8 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

yes, I am sure they always have some cabins free anyway in case of emergency.

Yes but these are generally scattered around the ship, from what I have read about new protocols, quarantine will be in a specific area of the ship, and will clearly need to be large enough if it is to effectively contain any outbreak.

52 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Yes but these are generally scattered around the ship, from what I have read about new protocols, quarantine will be in a specific area of the ship, and will clearly need to be large enough if it is to effectively contain any outbreak.

I suppose if they are sailing at around 75% capacity, it will be fairly easy to isolate a block of 30 or 40 cabins.

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I suppose if they are sailing at around 75% capacity, it will be fairly easy to isolate a block of 30 or 40 cabins.

And presumably - on those ships where it is possible - on a low deck and so closer to the medical centre.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

If the protocols still include face coverings indoors, I wonder how UK registered cruise Ships sailing from the UK will handle anyone who declares that they are exempt from wearing one.

That’s a very good point. There are a lot of people claiming to be exempt when they simply just refuse to wear one, in the full knowledge that they can’t be forced to prove that they are exempt. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

KTS - why do you quote the CDC rules on a forum that relates to a cruise line that is not bound by those rules? 

Fair point wowzz, but it would be unusual if the U.K. / European protocols were less stringent than our US cousins, given their lackadaisical approach to the virus so far. I would have to agree with KTS that Carnival / P&O are completely and utterly evading the critical questions about on board outbreaks. Just stating waffle that doesn’t answer the question at all. To be fair, some of the decisions will be out of their hands, as different countries may take different stances to cruise ships with outbreaks, but I would think that the chances of such cruises continuing as normal with just the infected passengers quarantined are almost zero. As we know, one of the biggest problems with this virus is that infected people can show no signs and, I believe, even test negative, during the incubation phase, yet still be ‘spreading’ the virus. On that basis, once there is an outbreak on a cruise ship it is almost impossible to contain it and it’s game over for that cruise. 

As for the protocols, some we could live with and some we couldn’t. Less passengers on the ship would be a plus. We enjoy meeting new people at dinner when the mood takes us, but could live with dining alone, so that’s no big deal. The two definite ‘no’s’ for us would be the inability to roam freely around destinations and having to wear face masks around the ship. Until those last two things are no longer requirements then we will stick with U.K. holidays where we can go where we like and only have to put a mask on for a few seconds when walking in or out of a pub or restaurant. We recently had a fabulous week on the Isle of Wight and have three more such holidays booked for next year. We have been to almost all the destinations on Southampton round-trip cruises and don’t enjoy very hot weather, so not cruising hasn’t resulted in the withdrawal symptoms that we thought it might - and we are saving a small fortune as a result. We are keen to try Iona and Cunard, but will wait until this virus and the associated restrictions are a thing of the past. Sadly, we are not holding our breath. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

Read the guidelines.  Totally as expected, carbon copy of what has been attempted with MSC and Costa.   Not for me.

Inability to get off at ports and roam free - big no

Inability to dine with different people - big no

Plus the "oh so predictable" and on-going refusal to come clean and clearly state to passengers what happens when there are cases of Covid on-board.   The response on this in the Q&As at the bottom of the guidelines is utterly laughable:

Question:

"What happens when there is an outbreak onboard?"

Answer:

"Our comprehensive new protocols are designed to protect the health and wellbeing of all our guests and crew."

Just lols.   Total evasion.  No answer at all.

Translation . . .  we can not rule out a Diamond Princess "death ship" total quarantine situation.

So nothing has changed.  Cruise lines are clearly not in control and are still under the cosh of health authorities and the like.

This simply won't do.  Passengers have a right to know, contractually, how they will be treated if they or others contract Covid during the voyage.

This constant evasion is not going to help P&O (Carnival) one iota, it simply nurtures distrust and skepticism.

All that is fun and enjoyable about cruising is for me eradicated by these draconian measures.   Meeting new people during evening dinner is an essential part of the experience for us.   Exploring ports at our own leisure equally so.    Limitations on lifts is also a worry and will surely mean long waits and chaos at peak times unless numbers of passengers are vastly reduced.

And through the entire process is this under-pinning "passing the buck" of responsibility and liability with the cruise line constantly stating that it will adhere to the prevailing guidelines of the "experts" whoever they are and whatever that guidance is.   The passenger is predictably left in the dark with no concrete information and the prospect of being treated adversely depending on the requirements and mandates of the unseen authorities.   Passengers of the Diamond Princess experienced first hand how that plays out !   I doubt many of those passengers would step aboard again until the cruise lines contractually define how they would be treated in future.

Good luck Carnival/P&O but this constant evasion of the most pressing issue, the most important question for passengers just makes you look bad.   It suggests you either are not in control of matters (which would be extremely worrying) or that you simply dare not come clean and tell passengers what happens when there is an outbreak onboard.  It won't wash.

KTS, your constant tirades about a possible Diamond Princess situation, and what protocols P&O might have to prevent this, reminds me of my similar postings about why was the P&O embarkation system so inferior to the RCI/Celebrity one, and why P&O did not pop down to City Terminal to do some checking, and thus do away with their arbitrary embarkation times.  Very few posters agreed with me, and most just ignored my tirades which of course, just like you, annoyed me immensely and led me to continually repeat my posts, which were still ignored by the majority.

Fortunately for me soon afterwards I graduated into Caribbean tier and was able to arrive early, and my annoyance with P&Os embarkation system waned.  But under new covid protocols it seems likely that more structured arrival and embarkation times will now be enforced, along with many other rules as well.

The moral of the story, if there is one, is that we have to live with the cruise lines rules and regulations, and if we dislike them enough then we need to cruise with a line whose terms we are happy to accept.

• Like 3

On 10/30/2020 at 11:01 PM, wowzz said:

KTS - why do you quote the CDC rules on a forum that relates to a cruise line that is not bound by those rules? 

I believe that the proposals for both USA and UK have been drawn up with the CLIA, the main cruise lines are all members so will be following CLIA guidance, and although the wording is not as blunt the European proposals are extremely similar.

I'd be pretty sure that one thing all Governments want is the absolute certainty that in the event of another lockdown/quarantine situtuation, Governments will not end up having to run repatriation flights.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 8:54 PM, Selbourne said:

That’s a very good point. There are a lot of people claiming to be exempt when they simply just refuse to wear one, in the full knowledge that they can’t be forced to prove that they are exempt. 

I am genuinely exempt and have been told I will need a doctor's letter, which is against the Law. My GP said that doctors are NOT issuing letters because the Law says they don't have to. So between a rock and a hard place, I shall have to cancel. Currently consulting with the EHRC over disability discrimination.

6 minutes ago, Clodia said:

I am genuinely exempt and have been told I will need a doctor's letter, which is against the Law. My GP said that doctors are NOT issuing letters because the Law says they don't have to. So between a rock and a hard place, I shall have to cancel. Currently consulting with the EHRC over disability discrimination.

That’s awful Clodia and I really feel for you. A lot of people are genuinely exempt and it must be so difficult for you at present. My point was that there are some who are of the ‘civil liberties’ or ‘I refuse to be told what to do’ persuasion who are making it even more awkward for those with genuine grounds for exemption. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Clodia said:

Nothing to do with being against the law, GPs have enough to do without being inundated with requests for letters, which in most practices is chargeable. I asked for a letter back in March when FCO advised against cruises for those deemed at risk, I was quoted £25, in the end P&O cancelled cruise so didn’t need letter. 

“The Government guidance suggests there is no requirement for evidence for exemption. It should be sufficient for someone to declare that they are eligible for an exemption direct with the person questioning them (eg bus driver).”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

Nothing to do with being against the law, GPs have enough to do without being inundated with requests for letters, which in most practices is chargeable. I asked for a letter back in March when FCO advised against cruises for those deemed at risk, I was quoted £25, in the end P&O cancelled cruise so didn’t need letter. 

“The Government guidance suggests there is no requirement for evidence for exemption. It should be sufficient for someone to declare that they are eligible for an exemption direct with the person questioning them (eg bus driver).”

The following link gives  information showing how to obtain exemption lanyards.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/06/how-to-get-face-covering-exemption-card-badge-lanyard-uk-13378724/