The Daily for Wednesday Oct 14, 2020

today is Emergency Nurses Day, National Dessert Day, and International Spinning Top Day

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Meal Suggestion for today - Easy Chicken and Rice Casserole

Drink of the Day - White Russian

Wine of the day - Viña Montes Alpha M Colchagua Valley vintage 2015

At Sea Atlantic
Nieuw Statendam destination Southampton eta 10/15

Balboa Anchorage
Koningsdam

Brindisi Italy Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Caracas Bay
Oosterdam

Katakolon Greece Anchorage
Noordam

Torquay GB
Volendam
Westerdam
Zaandam

Willemstad
Eurodam
Nieuw Amsterdam

1014World.png

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  A special salute to Emergency Nurses.  I'll pass on the spinning top although any diversion is probably worthy these days.  I love the quote.  The meal suggestion also sounds great.  My alternate suggestion is Chilled Arjou Pear soup, Prime Rib Au Jus, and Apple Crisp as served on the Amsterdam October 14, 2017.  The soup is almost like a desert, and 2 deserts are kind of appropriate on National Desert Day.

Today's care list:

Covid-free Mrs Vmax getting ready for surgery October 15

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

California and Colorado Wildfires

Kazu’s sister, niece, and BIL

Debbie’s nephew and his girlfriend

Family and friends of Denise’s friend who died of cancer October 13

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Occasional posters like @sailingdutchy

Teachers and school workers

cruisin single helping Colorado firefighters

StLouisCruisers on a road trip to visit aged mother

a local Eagle Scout Candidate building desks for students in virtual school

Fall colors

and for Canadian dailyites,  reports of Amsterdam luggage clearing Canadian Customs

I haven't yet elevated it to the care list but am surprised that erewhon did not post yesterday.  I expect Mrs Vmax will be out of surgery by the time the next daily is posted.
Roy

Good morning Rich, Roy, and fellow dailyites.  Interesting combination of days.  ER Nurses are super heros!!  And who doesn't love desserts. I think we all feel like spinning tops.  The quote is so true.  The menu suggestion sounds like something great for dinner tonight.

Drink suggestion is one of my favorites.

Ingredients

• 2 ounces vodka
  • 1 ounce Kahlúa
  • 1 splash heavy cream
  • Steps:
  1. Add the vodka and Kahlúa to an Old Fashioned glass with ice.

2. Top with the heavy cream and stir.

Prayers for everyone on our list and congratulations for all the others.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask please.

Good morning everyone.

Thanks for the Daily Report.

A big thanks to Emergency Nurses.  I love desserts.  Spinning tops might make me dizzy.

The meal suggestion sounds good.  And the wine and Drink of the Day sound good too.

Sending prayers for everyone and a cheer to everyone celebrating.

Have a good day.

Stay safe.

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Emergency Nurses deserve being celebrated and recognized every day - especially in these times. DH has a dessert to celebrate the day.  I didn’t know spinning tops had a day LOL.

Love the quote by von Goethe

DH would definitely give a thumbs up to the meal suggestion for today.

I’ll wait for Cat’s description of the wine but in the wine spirit:

8D6857E4-6844-4363-9AD6-C8775F52329B.jpeg.502b73e758bd9669bd88017f5e4ca127.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a clink of the glass toasting those on the Celebratory list.

Have a great Wednesday everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks. 😷 

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Another wonderful combo of Days - especially the emergency room nurses. Summer is right - they are superheroes! I will toast to them tonight. I am pretty sure that I won’t be spinning any tops today, so I will make up for it by having two desserts! The sacrifices one makes.

Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Roy, thank you for taking care of our lists! I am going to tuck that quote away for future use. Very wise words. I will pass on today’s drink - a bit too rich for me.

@kazu & @dfish, how are your families doing? 

Prayers to all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating.

Stay well everyone!

This superbly rated red blend from Chile has a price starting at $79.99. Later vintages have even higher ratings, so they might be a bit cheaper. Still too expensive for me.

#59 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

The nose is perfumed and complex with outstanding aromas of ripe red and black fruits over subtle notes of crème de cassis, tobacco, and leather. Spice aromas of red and black pepper mingle with cinnamon and dark chocolate notes. In palate is smooth but structured, with silky tannins. Pair with red meat, lamb or cheese.

Blend: 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Cabernet Franc, 5% Merlot, 5% Petit Verdot

WS95 Wine Spectator

Rich, robust and lusciously spiced, with concentrated dark cherry, plum and boysenberry flavors supported by fresh acidity. Intense midpalate minerality is followed by a finish loaded with chocolate and cream notes. Drink now through 2024.

Edited by cat shepard
35 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Any thoughts why  

Nieuw Statendam destination Southampton eta 10/15

No idea.  We were on her last sailing, disembarked March 15.  It was a great cruise and beautiful ship.  We only missed one port, Half Moon Cay.  Due to high winds, not covid.

Just now, cat shepard said:

how are your families doing? 

Thanks for asking, cat.  My niece is feeling much better and her quarantine will end shortly assuming she is not shedding the virus.

My sister and BIL tested negative, however considering how badly my sister is feeling, they have recommended she be re-tested on Thursday as there can be false negatives in the early days of the virus.  She is really unwell with fever, fatigue and shortness of breath 😞  

Thank you Rich for the Daily. Good morning Daily-ites, Roy, Jacqui, summer, and sister Ann. Thank you for your contributions this morning. To my dear sister Denise, we hope you find comfort and peace from the pain of losing your close friend. Love to you and family.

National Dessert Day:

Meditation Jokes for Enlightened Humor - Awake & Mindful

God bless all nurses, whether in ER or on the front lines. 

Went to dinner with friends last night for fish, so chicken and rice bake sounds pretty good to me. Thank you for the suggestion!

Yesterday was a beautiful 84. Creeping back to 92 today. The mornings are so beautiful here, love listening to song birds.Makes me so happy.

Wishing all a safe, happy and blessed day. Don't forget to eat your dessert!

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

My sister and BIL tested negative, however considering how badly my sister is feeling, they have recommended she be re-tested on Thursday as there can be false negatives in the early days of the virus.  She is really unwell with fever, fatigue and shortness of breath 😞  

Goodness Jacqui. I certainly hope your sister improves. She's in our prayers.

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for asking, cat.  My niece is feeling much better and her quarantine will end shortly assuming she is not shedding the virus.

Jacqui, great news about your niece & am glad your Sister is going to be re-tested.  I will keep all of you in my prayers.

36 minutes ago, kazu said:

My sister and BIL tested negative, however considering how badly my sister is feeling, they have recommended she be re-tested on Thursday as there can be false negatives in the early days of the virus.  She is really unwell with fever, fatigue and shortness of breath

Oh, my goodness, that is not good.   She goes to the top of the prayer list.  Sorry to hear this, Jacqui.

42 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

how are your families doing? 

Yes, thank you for asking.   Matt and Laura report that their symptoms are still mild, mainly loss of smell and taste.   We are thankful for that aspect and hope they continue to do well.  They are about half way through their quarantine and will be retested at the end of 14 days.  They both need a negative test in order to return to work.

26 minutes ago, dfish said:

Oh, my goodness, that is not good.   She goes to the top of the prayer list.  Sorry to hear this, Jacqui.

Yes, thank you for asking.   Matt and Laura report that their symptoms are still mild, mainly loss of smell and taste.   We are thankful for that aspect and hope they continue to do well.  They are about half way through their quarantine and will be retested at the end of 14 days.  They both need a negative test in order to return to work.

Debbie, hoping your family is resting comfortably.

So  sorry to  hear  about  ill  family  members.  Count  me  in  for  sending  prayers  their way. I  have   several  relatives in  healthcare   and  two  NYC Police  officers  who  were  quite  ill  in   the  spring  when  NY   was  at it's  worst.  They  are   all  back  at  work  now,thankfully.  I  love  coming   here  everyday  to  see  what has  been  written. It  is  an  oasis!

1 hour ago, dfish said:

I’m glad to hear their symptoms are mild.  Hope they get their sense of smell and taste back shortly and continue on to a great recovery 🙏🏻 🤞 

3 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning Rich, Roy, and fellow dailyites.  Interesting combination of days.  ER Nurses are super heros!!  And who doesn't love desserts. I think we all feel like spinning tops.  The quote is so true.  The menu suggestion sounds like something great for dinner tonight.

Drink suggestion is one of my favorites.

Ingredients

• 2 ounces vodka
  • 1 ounce Kahlúa
  • 1 splash heavy cream
  • Steps:
  1. Add the vodka and Kahlúa to an Old Fashioned glass with ice.

2. Top with the heavy cream and stir.

Prayers for everyone on our list and congratulations for all the others.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask please.

I first had a Whie Russian on an Alakan cruise on the RYNDAM in 2002.  I liked it.

1 minute ago, Himself said:

Thanks for the update Rich.  I suspect the Nieuw Statendam will anchor with the Other HAL ships anchored off England

That's my guess as well after a reprovisioning stop in Southampton.

Roy

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Hooray for Emergency Nurses; they're so important!  Yay for desserts and some days since this whole Covid event began, it felt like we were just spinning tops.

I love the drink of the day - but a word of caution, don't ever overdo it with White Russians.  Just don't.  The meal suggestion is what I prepared for us for Thanksgiving, substituting pork chops for the chicken, and adding a can of cream of celery soup, as well as doubling the rice.  We love mushy rice, and this makes it very mushy.  Tonight we'll be having dinner with a friend who is celebrating her 75th birthday; she's chosen to go to Olive Garden, so maybe I'll have the Chicken Carbonara that was suggested yesterday.  And wine.

Prayers for all on the list - especially for all who loved DeeniEncinitas' friend - and for those who don't think they need them.  We will raise our glasses at dinner to celebrate all there is, because life is short.  Be well, stay safe!

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Good morning.  Immense gratitude to all nurses, doctors and first responders.  

Stressed spelled backwards is desserts!  How appropriate.  Life is predictable so have dessert first!  Maybe two.  

Stay safe everyone.

Prayers and Cheers!