Diamond and Suite Concierge?

Given that Royal has stated that a lot of bookings are from loyal customers that could lend itself to C&A positions on board being staffed but on the flip side these positions are less important on short sailings.  If there wasn't a DL Concierge on a 3 or 4 night sailing that wouldn't be a calamity.  Given the need to shift crew duty time to cover more pandemic response and mitigation activities these positions could be considered non-essential.

Suite revenue should justify having that concierge position staffed.  They wouldn't want word getting out that the suite experience has been compromised or they have cut corners for suite guests.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I would think initially they would not be open. Thinking about not only the dl concierge but the other bartenders in the evening that would have to be there. That would cut down in staff, food prep and cleaning. 

on Monarch which is a much smaller ship, there was no dL and the loyalty ambassador held the nightly event. 

Is that another position which will be eliminated short term?  Molly is gone so are the others as well?

With reduced capacity, there may not be as many diamond and diamond plus on board as normal on the short cruises. We took a shortened hurricane cruise and every lounge both the suite lounge and diamond lounge were dead. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I agree. Maybe the DL wouldn’t be open either?

Since NV seems to be a startup ship we can look at her.  Perhaps the Star Lounge will be used for a happy hour event with the DL locked.  At 50% capacity the entire Star Lounge would allow distancing with lower top tier numbers on board.  Or perhaps it will just be 3 drink coupons.  

We'll know soon enough once cruises resume.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What does the diamond concierge do?  I’ve never asked them to do anything for me.  I have asked the suite concierge to make dinner reservations on the package before boarding, but nothing once on the ship.

What do people ask the diamond concierge to do?

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

What does the diamond concierge do?  I’ve never asked them to do anything for me.  I have asked the suite concierge to make dinner reservations on the package before boarding, but nothing once on the ship.

When not booked in a suite, a diamond concierge can be leveraged for many of the requests that a suite concierge helps suites guests with.  This could be dealing with unexplained charges on the account or booking onboard activities.  They can be an alternative to standing in lines at guest services for some matters.  If you have a maintenance issue that isn't addressed to your liking they can assist with escalating the matter.

They can be a means to address concerns short of the nuclear option of going straight to the HD.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Given that Royal has stated that a lot of bookings are from loyal customers that could lend itself to C&A positions on board being staffed but on the flip side these positions are less important on short sailings.  If there wasn't a DL Concierge on a 3 or 4 night sailing that wouldn't be a calamity.  Given the need to shift crew duty time to cover more pandemic response and mitigation activities these positions could be considered non-essential.

Suite revenue should justify having that concierge position staffed.  They wouldn't want word getting out that the suite experience has been compromised or they have cut corners for suite guests.  

Good point about the Suite experience.

39 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

When sailing from Dubai our DL concierge checked us in for our flights home and printed the airline tickets.

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

This could be dealing with unexplained charges on the account or booking onboard activities.  They can be an alternative to standing in lines at guest services for some matters.  If you have a maintenance issue that isn't addressed to your liking they can assist with escalating the matter.

They can be a means to address concerns short of the nuclear option of going straight to the HD.  

If they do eliminate or minimize the upper tier Concierge(s), I hope that they have a dedicated suite/upper tier line at Guest Services.

• Like 2

About the only thing I ever use a Concierge for is sea pass charge disputes and making specialty restaurant reservations.  I especially appreciate being able to make specialty restaurant reservations prior to boarding.  I would be disappointed if I was no longer able to do that.

3 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

When sailing begins, will Royal continue to staff ships with a Diamond and/or Suite Concierge?

M8

The Suite Concierge would be a must.

Often in the DL the concierge sit at their desk staring at their computers and not mixing with guests so they are more dispensible.

Rory I got an email from RCG today with games to play.

I accept CLs are destined for SLs and Suite guests and pins but this was on the email which I thought they would have corrected.

Graham.

Screenshot_20201014_132513_com.google.android.gm.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I’m guessing we will not find out what is happening with the DL/CL/SL until the first ship sails and it may change from that first sailing.  

This is a GUESS, but maybe they will use guest services in lieu of a Diamond Concierge and even the Suite Concierge. Who knows?

M8

I understand the concierges are part of GS so your suggestion is valid and for the DL someone from GS might just pop in at the beginning and at the end of HH to check up on things.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

Not sure about the DL concierge but thinking the SL one would need to stay.  If you take away too many things from the suite dwellers there goes the reason for booking one other than a bigger cabin

So your position...

Take it away from others but...

Don't take it away from me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If the ships are going to sail at significant reduction in passengers (or has that changed), you would think that the duties could be covered by Guest Services and/or the Suite Concierge  as you all have suggested.  The lounge events could likely happen during certain hours in another outlet, without significantly displacing other passengers.  I would guess the first question is will all the suites be available, or will the distancing mean they want to limit passengers by deck and/or category.  If this is the case then the Suite Concierge may be able to handle both the suite duties and D/D+/P duties with reduced numbers. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I’m guessing we will not find out what is happening with the DL/CL/SL until the first ship sails and it may change from that first sailing.  

This is a GUESS, but maybe they will use guest services in lieu of a Diamond Concierge and even the Suite Concierge. Who knows?

M8

The concierges are already part of the guest services team, just a bit fancier.