Celebrity Ship = No Way

On 10/14/2020 at 10:08 AM, Ashland said:

Is there a Celebrity ship that you wouldn't care to sail on and why?

I've only done Eclipse A1 and have Reflection S2 booked.

So my experience as to class of ship is limited at this point.

We have been on 2 M-Class ships (Infinity and Constellation) and 1 S-Class ships (Silhouette).  We have an upcoming cruise scheduled on the Reflection.  Unfortunately we have no experience (yet) on the Edge-Class ships.

We would happily sail any of the M- and S-class ships.  Even though the older M-Class ships do not have all of the bells and whistles, they still have the essence of what we love about Celebrity (style, great crew, no too large).  In our opinion, would love if they had a Murano, but that is being "fussy".  We found the older ships to be equally well maintained, and had absolutely no concerns.

Dale

On 10/15/2020 at 2:14 PM, fsdorado said:

We've done one Carnival cruise, a 3 night out of Long Beach.  My wife's company paid for the cruise, except for port taxes.  After we got off, we both agreed that we paid too much.  It wasn't our thing either.  If you're 25 and like to drink a lot, I imagine it would be a good time, but we're both well past that stage in our lives.

Ha!  Agree...we did the 4-night one that added Catalina Island.  About the same experience!😆

I have to disagree on your ratings, none of the mainstream cruise lines are 5 star. You want 5 star you need to sail on lines like Seabourn, Crystal and Hapag-Lloyd, their Europa and Europa 2 are both rated at 5.5 stars. There are only 3 more ships in the world that are rated 5 stars and all belong to Siverseas Cruise Line.
As far as the mainstream lines go, Celebrity is the best, We've sailed with Princess 20 times and are Elite status and believe me, Princess is not anywhere close to Celebrity, most of their ships are rated at 3.5 stars. They have gone downhill in recent years with their food budget decreasing along with other cost cutting measures. I would rate Holland America who we have sailed with 22 times, close second to Celebrity, very classy and  clean ships with outstanding service.
BTW, the star ratings are from the Berlitz Cruising and Cruise Ship annual publication by Douglas Ward but I agree with his ratings and purchase his updated book every year.

I quoted the ratings given by a giant online US travel agent.
They have ratings for every ship of all the major Cruise lines
With respect but neither X nor Princess are “5 star”  cruise lines. They are both  premium mainstream, just like HAL.

The Class system onboard X vessels actually degrades the experience.

Aqua class vs Concierge class?

2 minutes ago, drsel said:

I quoted the ratings given by a giant online US travel agent.
They have ratings for every ship of all the major Cruise lines

I get that and appreciate the clarification.  I am basing my stars on the CC system, which is where we are, for me based on that system, Celebrity is 5 star.

15 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

We did the Summit to Bermuda in 2016 in aft AQ cabin 1138.  We lucked out and didn't face another ship because we were docked bow to bow.  Great view!  I hope yours has the same docking.

The pigeon is Pina Colada who hiched a ride on our balcony the entire way over.  She'd drop down to the aft bar for snacks then back to our balcony.

Bermuda Panoramic.jpg

Pina Colada enjoying the view.JPG

Sunset heading into Bermuda w Pina R.jpg

I certainly hope your feathered friend enjoyed his new home.  Wonder if he hitched a ride back!

I like the pictures of the bird.  When we were in one of those aft cabins sailing into Vancouver, I watched a seagull perched on the awning on the deck below.  I wish I had made a video of this..  A guy came out to the tables with his plate of eggs, set them on the table, and then had to return to the Oceanview to get coffee etc.  While he was gone, Mr Seagull swooped down to the plate and sucked up the 2 eggs quicker than you could blink. It was so funny.  Poor man came back and couldn't believe his breakfast was already eaten! 

7 hours ago, marieps said:

I certainly hope your feathered friend enjoyed his new home.  Wonder if he hitched a ride back!

According to crew, Pina Colada kept making the round trip several times during the season.  Here's another pic of her with my DW enjoying her Cafe al Bacio Americano.

Virginia second morning coffee with Pina Colada.jpg

Edited by ChucktownSteve

That's a riot.  Brings new meaning to the term bird brain.  That bird's a genius.

On 10/17/2020 at 7:09 PM, ChucktownSteve said:

We did the Summit to Bermuda in 2016 in aft AQ cabin 1138.  We lucked out and didn't face another ship because we were docked bow to bow.  Great view!  I hope yours has the same docking.

The pigeon is Pina Colada who hiched a ride on our balcony the entire way over.  She'd drop down to the aft bar for snacks then back to our balcony.

Bermuda Panoramic.jpg

Pina Colada enjoying the view.JPG

Sunset heading into Bermuda w Pina R.jpg

On 10/14/2020 at 9:35 PM, iamaqt2 said:

I thought I would always be able to say that as well, until I encountered the MSC Divina.  Horrible ship layout, and nothing but problems from trying to board, and continued throughout the whole cruise.  Worst cruise I've ever been on.  

We had the same thoughts about MSC Divina, though we thought their private island was the best we have been on.

3 hours ago, D C said:

We met a couple on a recent cruise that had a similarly bad experience and said MSC stood for "my shi**y cruuse" 

Yet, I believe MSC has two ships running trial cruises in Europe while Celebrity and RCL sit back, whine and blame the CDC and then the will copy everything MSC does to get the final ok to sail.

In the last two years, we’ve sailed twice on MSC Seaside and they were our 46 cruises we’ve taken which included 20+ on Celebrity and 8 on RCL.

24 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Yet, I believe MSC has two ships running trial cruises in Europe while Celebrity and RCL sit back, whine and blame the CDC and then the will copy everything MSC does to get the final ok to sail.

In the last two years, we’ve sailed twice on MSC Seaside and they were our 46 cruises we’ve taken which included 20+ on Celebrity and 8 on RCL.

they are not "sitting back" by choice.  They have submitted a proposed plan and now are waiting in the CDC to respond

On 10/14/2020 at 1:08 PM, Ashland said:

Is there a Celebrity ship that you wouldn't care to sail on and why?

I've only done Eclipse A1 and have Reflection S2 booked.

So my experience as to class of ship is limited at this point.

We love all Celebrity ships.  However, the Reflection is IMO a better choice.  First, you are in a suite- and the perks are great- as is the size of the suite- so much more room.  Luminae is special.  We also love the lawn club grill, only available on the Reflection or Silhouette.  Suite class is  So much better the Aqua class-  The suite lounge is wonderful!!  We could never go back to Aq or any other cabins other then suite class.  Makes the vacation super special. 

Enjoy

LGW59 asked what formed my opinion.  It was from personal experience.

When I think back to my edge cruise, I remember how cold the ship felt, with its gray/beige/greige decor; How loud and unpleasant it was, with Thump-Thump “music” that is definitely Not to my taste playing all the time; how uncomfortable the seating was throughout; how weird the incense-infused entertainment in Eden but also throughout the ship was (“Yoko Ono went to Hair and said, let’s do this on a cruise ship“ was how I think of it).  Not for me.

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

LGW59 asked what formed my opinion.  It was from personal experience.

When I think back to my edge cruise, I remember how cold the ship felt, with its gray/beige/greige decor; How loud and unpleasant it was, with Thump-Thump “music” that is definitely Not to my taste playing all the time; how uncomfortable the seating was throughout; how weird the incense-infused entertainment in Eden but also throughout the ship was (“Yoko Ono went to Hair and said, let’s do this on a cruise ship“ was how I think of it).  Not for me.

This is why we have and will continue to avoid Edge and Apex.

Seeing people comment about Eden only reminded me how horrible the Bar at the Edge of the Earth was on the M class ships in 2005.  And the music in the Martini Bar that was/is headache inducing.

Although we still have a few =X= cruises booked, we are steadily migrating to Azamara (spoiler:  If they survive).  The overall vibe just fits better with us.

1 hour ago, bigbenboys said:

For Asia I like the M-Class ship. The Med and Caribbean S-Class ships. E-Class we did in a sky suite. Loved the suite, but will pass on the E-Class.

E-class all the way for me.  Loved the Summit, in her day, but she def needs a facelift, as Dolly says, "if it is bagging, dragging or sagging, I'll get it nipped, tucked or sucked"...🤣

16 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

E-class all the way for me.  Loved the Summit, in her day, but she def needs a facelift, as Dolly says, "if it is bagging, dragging or sagging, I'll get it nipped, tucked or sucked"...🤣

Have you been on Summit since they did the $80 million refit last year?   Was a pretty significant face lift although there were a few places left out.

13 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Have you been on Summit since they did the $80 million refit last year?   Was a pretty significant face lift although there were a few places left out.

I have not but am very excited to do do.  Have a Carib booked for Jan 2022 so looking forward to that.  Was last on about 6 months before refurb, loved her then and from what I have seen will love her again, maybe even more.

I prefer either the M or S class. The features of the new E class leaves me cold. I don't care for the virtual balconies (sitting by an open window...not for me) or the uncomfortable furniture. That being said, if the price was right for a cruise that sailed where and when I wanted to sail, I'd hold my nose and go.

On 10/17/2020 at 11:10 PM, LGW59 said:

I get that and appreciate the clarification.  I am basing my stars on the CC system, which is where we are, for me based on that system, Celebrity is 5 star.

I agree...we've sailed on X, Princess and HAL and X wins in nearly every category...Princess does have some good entertainment options.  But in all other areas X wins for us.  We were VERY disappointed in our last Princess cruise.  Cabin not properly cleaned, food subpar especially when compared with the same cruise, same ship a year later.  Don't think we've given HAL a fair chance as our one cruise was on the old Noordam, which underwent renovation a year later.  It was tired and the crew seemed the same.  

1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

I agree...we've sailed on X, Princess and HAL and X wins in nearly every category...Princess does have some good entertainment options.  But in all other areas X wins for us.  We were VERY disappointed in our last Princess cruise.  Cabin not properly cleaned, food subpar especially when compared with the same cruise, same ship a year later.  Don't think we've given HAL a fair chance as our one cruise was on the old Noordam, which underwent renovation a year later.  It was tired and the crew seemed the same.  

I have sailed on Carnival 1x, NCL 2x, Princess 2x, Celebrity 5x.  The one and only on Carnival did me in.  Thankfully it was only a 5 day cruise, and I could not wait to get off.  If I go to a restaurant and have a mediocre experience, I usually go back to give a second chance.  My experience on Carnival was not even close to mediocre, what I saw on the ship and from many (not all) passengers was beyond belief.  NCL I really enjoyed especially the Sun Mexican Rivera cruise, ship was tired but still quite good, 4 stars for me.  Princess about the same 4 stars but a bit too much going on for my personal style of cruising.  Have NEVER had a bad experience on Celebrity.  The ships, amazing crew, fantastic food, ambiance, right up my alley.  A bit more expensive, but I am Ok with that, I just feel like for me, I get what I pay for.  APEX here I come!!!

22 hours ago, LGW59 said:

It was my understanding the Summit March 2019 and Millennium Feb 2019 have had the Revitalization.

5 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Have NEVER had a bad experience on Celebrity.  The ships, amazing crew, fantastic food, ambiance, right up my alley.  A bit more expensive, but I am Ok with that, I just feel like for me, I get what I pay for.   

Agree.....