Jump to content

Cancel or go undecided January 9 Enchanted


Recommended Posts

My wife and I are trying to decide prior to final pay if we should go, bump forward or cancel.  We are 71 and are concerned about what happens if we come down with COVID.  
Does the ship have medicines on board to treat this.  

Is this treatment covered by the insurance we bought through Princess.
Does Medicare cover you while at sea?
We are in good Heath a bit overweight but generally good shape, our concern is should we risk going as we know the cruise line is taking every precaution and we have been going to stores, and restaurants during the last few months and wear our masks, wash our hands and  use wipes, and use hand sanitizer all the time.  We have had contact with our children and have not become ill.  If we follow all these precautions and what the ship is doing we feel the risk would be low.  I know some will say that’s up to you, my son said bump it back. 
 We don’t want to be afraid to enjoy life again,  but want to know if we have considered all our options.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

you 'should' have a few more weeks until final payment is due ( 60 days ), so around 11/9

 

I'd certainly see what Princess does, if anything, about another round of cancellations

 

some December cruises coming up have finals due next week - see what happens to those

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, MarkE said:

My wife and I are trying to decide prior to final pay if we should go, bump forward or cancel.  We are 71 and are concerned about what happens if we come down with COVID.  
Does the ship have medicines on board to treat this.  

Is this treatment covered by the insurance we bought through Princess.
Does Medicare cover you while at sea?
We are in good Heath a bit overweight but generally good shape, our concern is should we risk going as we know the cruise line is taking every precaution and we have been going to stores, and restaurants during the last few months and wear our masks, wash our hands and  use wipes, and use hand sanitizer all the time.  We have had contact with our children and have not become ill.  If we follow all these precautions and what the ship is doing we feel the risk would be low.  I know some will say that’s up to you, my son said bump it back. 
 We don’t want to be afraid to enjoy life again,  but want to know if we have considered all our options.  

Cancel.

No need to spend your time and money on a trip you are not comfortable with.

Put your money in the bank and wait until the day comes you can cruise without all the worries.

That may be a while which is why I recommend cancel over bump.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the same predicament except our cruise is December 19th ...we do Thanksgiving with our kids and other In Laws do Christmas . So this Christmas we planned a cruise ...seems too risky now and kids horrified that we would even consider sailing !!! 

We have Panama Canal in February so hopefully we will go on that one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Medicare doesn't cover you while on the ship.  If you read the Medicare & You book you will see that it says something about within x miles of US shore.  How will you prove it?  As for medicines on board the ship... from what I hear on the news there really isn't any medicines to treat Covid.  There are some medicines that have been used with very sick patients in the hospital.  I doubt Princess would have them on board.  

 

It wouldn't surprise me if Princess cancels cruises up until at least the spring.  I would not pay final payment and then have to wait a long time to get my refund.  Plan a cruise for later in 2021.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

Enchanted Princess, January 9th is a 7 Day Eastern Caribbean cruise.

i think the Eastern Caribbean will be some of the first cruises to go ... PC, St Thomas, and maybe St Martin or even Grand Turk

 

Edit 1.0 - and instead of the 'traditional' East/West 7 day cruises - Princess could do a 5-4-5 utilizing just PC and St Thomas ... money makers? prolly not ... shakedown, confidence builders hopefully 

 

edit 2.0 - and it would be about the new ship , Enchanted , not necessarily the ports visited

Edited by voljeep
Link to post
Share on other sites

Only my opinion, but you asked.  I would cancel.  Medical experts are predicting a very bad winter for this virus.  You are not young (neither am I) and who wants to get onboard and worry?  In my humble opinion, I dont think they will go.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MarkE said:

My wife and I are trying to decide prior to final pay if we should go, bump forward or cancel.  We are 71 and are concerned about what happens if we come down with COVID.  
Does the ship have medicines on board to treat this.

Maybe. 

Is this treatment covered by the insurance we bought through Princess.

You would have to check with Princess to determine if Covid is excluded in some fine print. Believe Princess insurance is a secondary payer.
Does Medicare cover you while at sea?

No. If you have one of the Medicare supplement plans such as plan F then check out the terms. Some plans cover 80% internationally.
We are in good Heath a bit overweight but generally good shape, our concern is should we risk going as we know the cruise line is taking every precaution and we have been going to stores, and restaurants during the last few months and wear our masks, wash our hands and  use wipes, and use hand sanitizer all the time.  We have had contact with our children and have not become ill.  If we follow all these precautions and what the ship is doing we feel the risk would be low.  I know some will say that’s up to you, my son said bump it back. 
 We don’t want to be afraid to enjoy life again,  but want to know if we have considered all our options.  

I wouldn't go, but I would wait until a few days before final payment date, which I think would be November 10th, to see if Princess cancels. Consider if you would enjoy the cruise with all the social distancing, mask wearing, crowded elevators, etc. Some comments above in bold.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would cancel and get your money back. Who knows what the new cruising experience will be like or how precautions will affect the enjoyment of the cruise. I for one will not be booking anything before I know what the on board experience will be like. This seems to be dragging on longer than anyone expected it to. Who knows when cruising will even start up. Back in March people were hoping for the Summer now here we are in the Fall and no further along than we were 7 months ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, skynight said:

I wouldn't go, but I would wait until a few days before final payment date, which I think would be November 10th, to see if Princess cancels. Consider if you would enjoy the cruise with all the social distancing, mask wearing, crowded elevators, etc. Some comments above in bold.

 

Sorry OP but I agree with these comments and others that suggest you cancel. I have had three cruises cancelled and share your annoyance but I've just decided to sit it out until there is a vaccine or the virus tails off. 

No way would I be paying more money for a cruise that likely will not happen, and like me, wait months for refunds.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are booked on the same cruise as you.  We are going to see if Princess cancels and if they do, take the FCC and flip it to either the April 17 or May 1 sailings of the Enchanted.  Because of the great price we had gotten, even with a 25% bonus with the FCC we will be paying more for our cabin.  And since we had booked our airfare as soon as it opened up, that will be costing us extra as well.  Luckily American is allowing a single change with no penalties, just paying the difference in price.

If you're thinking of changing to an Enchanted 7 day sailing when she returns from the other side of the pond in November of 2021, that will not be an option since she will do doing all 10 day cruises then.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on this cruise and we cancelled it about a month ago.  Our reasons for cancelling are pretty much outlined in the previous comments on this thread.  

We got our deposit refunded within two days after I called Princess to cancel.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are booked on the January 9th voyage as well and, it's a 14 day itinerary.  The only reason for us to cancel that booking is because they are assuring us that either the 19th or 20th of December sailings are still happening.  Our preference is the 20th on the Sky because she is doing PR this time.

If all the precautions are in place aboard the ship as planned, we have no concern about being on the ship.  We have nearly 50 voyages aboard Princess ships with a lot of great memories and many shipboard friendships we have made and it's time to support our cruise line and get back to living again.

We will tell you all about our great voyage when we get back.

Link to post
Share on other sites

January 9th is a 7 day Eastern or a 14 day East/West.  I never notice the longer cruises.  Even when I booked the original 10 day maiden voyage, I never noticed there was also a 17 day.  Oh well, it didn’t matter in the end - cruise was cancelled.

 

Edited by Abercrombie2019
Spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites

My friend and I are booked on the January 9, 2021 Enchanted cruise.  We are going to cancel.  I am just waiting to see if Princess cancels it prior to final payment.  If they don’t, I will cancel it.   There are just too many unknowns right now and we are not willing to take the risk.  I am 69 and my friend is 61.  I think we are looking at 2022 at least.  It makes me sad, but it is what it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Enchanted for March 13, 2021 with final payment January 12.
 

 I normally take an annual CAA travel insurance.  For my March 13 cruise I have taken out Princess Vacation Insurance just for “Cancel for Any Reason”.  I can cancel right up to sail date and get FCC compared to other insurance plans to cancel you have to a medical reason.

 

I wish Princess would hurry up and tell us if they are going to cancel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, phabric said:

 

I wish Princess would hurry up and tell us if they are going to cancel.

you can still book the 12/19/20 Enchanted 7 day Caribbean - final due in a few days 10/20/20

 

j/s

17 minutes ago, phabric said:

I have the Enchanted for March 13, 2021 with final payment January 12.

yep

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...