Panel to investigate the cdc override

jimbo5544

...and now we have a house committee looking into everything.  More people who know little about the industry and less about the virus, this will bring anything productive to a halt.  politics and nothing more.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23686-expanding-probe-into-interference-in-cdc-no-sail-order.html

Two of those utube ship bloggers both say the election determines when cruises resume. Both say they are a political, just care about cruising. One used to work ncl and is sad he has friends being let go. Basically they both say one side wants to open economy and one wants to shut it down further. The election will determine when cruises resume they say from inside sources. 

WHO has reversed themselves on if its healthy to shut down the economy tightly or just protect segments. I must have deleted the other, but many sources are saying depends on who wins the election. 

I am not booked until april, but if its shut down too long I expect bankruptcy. 

20201014_144557820.jpeg

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

WHO has reversed themselves on if its healthy to shut down the economy tightly or just protect segments. I must have deleted the other, but many sources are saying depends on who wins the election. 

I don't believe there are many counties in the US that meet the WHO or CDC requirements for partial opening. 

So many people seem to think that COVID-19 can be controlled by politics. 

13 hours ago, firefly333 said:

The virus absolutely does not care who wins the election.

It is impossible for experts to know everything about a virus that has only been around for a few months.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The virus absolutely does not care who wins the election.

It is impossible for experts to know everything about a virus that has only been around for a few months.

But people are political and both parties have different views toward reopening. Several bloggers have said this. They are non political, just stating the fact it depends on who wins about reopening economy.. nothing to do with the virus knowing anything. 

I posted one the other day who said same thing. That rcl and others will not take the chance on who wins, they will wait to move ships and crew until the future is known with more certainty.

Here is a 2nd saying same thing as other guy. You may not get it but both sides have different views about reopening that probably will affect cruising reopening. 

He is a ncl ex employee talking to friends on the ships. This is what he hears. 

20201014_144557820.jpeg

Edited by firefly333

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

But people are political and both parties have different views toward reopening. Several bloggers have said this. They are non political, just stating the fact it depends on who wins about reopening economy.. nothing to do with the virus knowing anything. 

I posted one the other day who said same thing. That rcl and others will not take the chance on who wins, they will wait to move ships and crew until the future is known with more certainty.

Here is a 2nd saying same thing as other guy. You may not get it but both sides have different views about reopening that probably will affect cruising reopening. 

He is a ncl ex employee talking to friends on the ships. This is what he hears. 

20201014_144557820.jpeg

If Biden wins the election, then I most certainly believe he will follow the science and take the advice of scientists and the top infectious disease experts in the country.   The economy is going to take a hit until we can get this virus under control.  It just doesn’t make sense to me to develop a herd mentality and let millions of people die due to the erroneous thinking of economy first.   How can an economy thrive if workers are continually getting sick and can’t work and companies then have to go into quarantine and shut down?    There needs to be a national plan such as a mask mandate and probably paying businesses and companies to remain closed that are high risk for spreading the virus ( I.e. bars, restaurants, etc.).   Carnival’s problem is that they are registered in another country and thus can’t take advantage of any kind of relief that Congress might pass.   An unfortunate situation but at least this current crisis is rare and and probably a once in a century situation.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HLGW60 said:

If Biden wins the election, then I most certainly believe he will follow the science and take the advice of scientists and the top infectious disease experts in the country.   The economy is going to take a hit until we can get this virus under control.  It just doesn’t make sense to me to develop a herd mentality and let millions of people die due to the erroneous thinking of economy first.   How can an economy thrive if workers are continually getting sick and can’t work and companies then have to go into quarantine and shut down?    There needs to be a national plan such as a mask mandate and probably paying businesses and companies to remain closed that are high risk for spreading the virus ( I.e. bars, restaurants, etc.).   Carnival’s problem is that they are registered in another country and thus can’t take advantage of any kind of relief that Congress might pass.   An unfortunate situation but at least this current crisis is rare and and probably a once in a century situation.

I think I heard a national mandate right now is not legal. If they got control of the senate they could pass something but supposedly the president cant do a national policy without laws being changed. 

Someone saying they want something that they cant mandate means nothing. Congress needs to act.

I remember trump saying he wanted to do something and everyone rose up, you cant tell us in ny what to do, it's our choice, whatever it was, dont remember. But I have heard mask mandate same thing it's up to the states. Its required here. Dallas went back to red alert yesterday. President right now cant mandate what the states do. You are jumping right over laws. 

Florida decided to open, I think it's their choice, not the presidents now and unless laws change. Call your congressman.... 

10 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I think I heard a national mandate right now is not legal. If they got control of the senate they could pass something but supposedly the president cant do a national policy without laws being changed. 

Someone saying they want something that they cant mandate means nothing. Congress needs to act.

I remember trump saying he wanted to do something and everyone rose up, you cant tell us in ny what to do, it's our choice, whatever it was, dont remember. But I have heard mask mandate same thing it's up to the states. Its required here. Dallas went back to red alert yesterday. President right now cant mandate what the states do. You are jumping right over laws. 

Florida decided to open, I think it's their choice, not the presidents now and unless laws change. Call your congressman.... 

I have contacted my Congressman and I really feel the CDC will once again be an independent body free from presidential pressure if we get a Democratic President and Senate. Right now the odds appear good we will but I remember 2016 and not count my chickens before they hatch.   Right now I’m trying to decide whether or not to cancel my WDW trip for Thanksgiving. We are Disney Vacation Club members and I have borrowed points from 2021 that will expire on me if we don’t use them.  Seriously thinking of just going and staying inside the condo.  I t will at least  be a change of scenery🥺

Edited by HLGW60

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

A national mask mandate may not be possible under current law, but a mask requirement on all federal property is easily done with an executive order. Every little bit helps.

On 10/15/2020 at 11:05 AM, HLGW60 said:

If Biden wins the election, then I most certainly believe he will follow the science and take the advice of scientists and the top infectious disease experts in the country.

There are a couple of problems inherent to this. 

1.) Science doesn't give the right answer, it just informs policy. Science doesn't give us the moral value of a human life or a healthy economy. It also doesn't always provide the clear guidance we might with. Absent impractical scientific research like a large study with multiple cruises under proposed guidelines and follow up testing for case incidence and 'super spreader' events, if any...we're reduced to asking some scientists (many of whom have probably never been on a cruise and just read about them) to make a guess. That kind of guessing isn't good enough for drug approvals. My point is, science and scientists don't always provide a clear right answer; they provide some data (often speculative) about the options.

2.) Old adage - where you stand on an issue depends on where you sit. The top infectious disease experts and the CDC basically function to mitigate and prevent the spread of serious infectious disease. That is their priority. That is an important consideration...but it is not the only important consideration.

If I said Trump will take the advice of economists and business experts, imagine what alarm bells would go off in your minds. Well, a perspective and resultant policy informed solely to professional disease prevention people can be just as bad. 

We need both, not one or the other. 

On 10/15/2020 at 11:05 AM, HLGW60 said:

The economy is going to take a hit until we can get this virus under control.

Yes, I recently read an estimated 16 trillion dollars, triple the impact of the great recession. This in a nation with a staggeringly immense national debt and horrendous annual spending deficits...before the pandemic hit. Where we already read of the plight of Millennials due to the economic hit of the great recession. Many service sector workers such as restaurant staff (and owners!) lost their jobs (and businesses!), and there's growing alarm at how job loss selectively impacts women (I suspect childcare without in-person school is a big factor). 

If (and that's a big 'if') a vaccine is approved this year, it'll likely be well into 2021 before there's widespread immunization, the success rate won't be perfect, and people will still be asked to wear masks and socially distance for months to come, judging from what Dr. Fauci has said before. 

If cruising can't resume till the most conservative 'nobody can get sick' set are satisfied, the mainstream industry whose product we know and love may be driven bankrupt. 

Get the word out so people can make informed decisions and the industry put prudent protocol measures in place...then let the public decide for themselves. 

P.S.: And let's be clear, politics and clout are a big part of this. If the survival of Carnival, Royal Caribbean and NCL were replaced with Amazon, Wal-mart and Microsoft, the CDC would suddenly decide the science could allow reopening. 

Edited by drrich2
  • Like 2