Venice port

The Mommy

Hello All

We have our first med cruise booked from Venice in September 2021 but we are expecting that it may be transferred to Ravenna? Not sure when we will know?

We will need a hotel for 1 night pre-cruise and I am wondering if it would be easier to reserve one in Ravenna rather than travel into Venice and then go back again the next day?

Would anyone have any advice please?

Many Thanks

12 minutes ago, The Mommy said:

Hello All

We have our first med cruise booked from Venice in September 2021 but we are expecting that it may be transferred to Ravenna? Not sure when we will know?

We will need a hotel for 1 night pre-cruise and I am wondering if it would be easier to reserve one in Ravenna rather than travel into Venice and then go back again the next day?

Many Thanks

Since that is a 2 1/2 hour drive I would rather wait or simply book hotels in both places (refundable).

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, The Mommy said:

Hello All

Many Thanks

I'd choose Ravenna, as Venice will be more expensive and a schlep to Ravenna if indeed you do depart from there.  If you choose Ravenna, I'd strongly suggest you build in an extra day to enjoy seeing the spectacular Byzantine mosaics in town.  They really are wonderful, and a destination in and of their own right.  The Basilica de San Vitale is the highlight, IMO, but there are other sites and a small museum as well.  Go for the combined ticket.  We stayed in a lovely little inn we found on booking.com.  There are plenty of choices.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Mommy said:

Hello All

Many Thanks

Why do you thing the departure port will be changed to Ravenna?

1 hour ago, billyu said:

Why do you thing the departure port will be changed to Ravenna?

Thus was announced in July by Royal.  Venice is restricting the number of ships.

"Royal Caribbean Replaces Cruises from Venice for Summer 2021 with Nearby Ravenna. (4:52 p.m. EDT) -- Royal Caribbean is advising passengers booked on cruises departing from Venice next summer that their voyages will now depart from the town of Ravenna, located roughly 88 miles (143 kilometers) to the south.July 2020"

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Thus was announced in July by Royal.  Venice is restricting the number of ships.

"Royal Caribbean Replaces Cruises from Venice for Summer 2021 with Nearby Ravenna. (4:52 p.m. EDT) -- Royal Caribbean is advising passengers booked on cruises departing from Venice next summer that their voyages will now depart from the town of Ravenna, located roughly 88 miles (143 kilometers) to the south.July 2020"

This is exactly correct except that it isn't really restricting the number of ships, Venice is restricting the size of the ships. Nothing Celebrity owns will be allowed to dock there again. Want to leave from Venice, try Azamara, Oceania, Viking (their 960 guest ships are about as big as will get into Venice.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m not convinced celebrity will be moving .  With the pandemic Venice is now more keen on keeping hold of any possible cruise income.  There have been a number of demonstrations by port workers who could lose their jobs and pressure for MSC and Costa to include Venice as a port in their start up cruises

Yes RCC moved departure port but I would not assume that celebrity will follow 

in the mad world we live in anything could happy 

• Like 1

We really hope it doesn't change.  Of course, at this point, having had to cancel 4 cruise so far in this pandemic, we also hope we actually get to go at all...

But, at least as of now, we have a cruise ENDING in Venice in late July...

We've arranged to pick up and drop off a rental car at Piazzale Roma...and are planning on driving around Austria--to Vienna and back in a big circle, then spending two last nights in Venice before flying home out of Marco Polo.  We avoided one-way rental car charges by picking up and dropping off in Venice (rather than, say, picking up in Venice and dropping off in Vienna).

I assume, if they changed to Ravenna, we'd just take the shuttle to Venice (hope they'd drop off at P. Roma, not just the airport) and the rest would be the same--other than adjusting the pick-up time...but, it's just an additional hassle...

I guess the bigger hassle would be for those who planned on flying out of Marco Polo same day and had early flights (our flight out of Venice, albeit 10 days later, is at 10:40 am.  Anyone on that same flight but on disembarkation day might have made it if the ship is docked in Venice...but not in Ravenna!).

Another note for those visiting Ravenna:  I heartily recommend heading down to San Marino for a visit.  It's an incredibly picturesque place...and one of the smallest independent countries in the world...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, DrKoob said:

This is exactly correct except that it isn't really restricting the number of ships, Venice is restricting the size of the ships. Nothing Celebrity owns will be allowed to dock there again. Want to leave from Venice, try Azamara, Oceania, Viking (their 960 guest ships are about as big as will get into Venice.)

Thank you.  Am guessing when Celebrity resumes sailing from Italy they will provide the same transfers as Royal to and/or from the Venice airport.  Florence and Bologna are about the same distance as well.

On 10/16/2020 at 3:35 AM, DrKoob said:

Nothing I have found online suggests there is any current ban on cruise ships using Venice Marittima port. There was a ban for vessels over 55,000 tons a few years back, but it was overturned soon after (that's Italian politics for you). There are various other suggestions such as a new channel to avoid passing St Marks or creating a new cruise terminal on the mainland at Marghera, but these all involve large investment. I suspect such investment is unlikely in the current environment. I really hope Celebrity can continue to use Marittima, and I think Venice probably needs some tourist income back soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning All

Thank you for all your help with this. I decided to call our TA and the Celebrity office. I have received this e mail from celebrity Customer Services to confirm our telephone conversation.:-

I can confirm that this Ship will be sailing out from Venice , Rome.

Kind Regards

Sophie Sheppard
Guest Support Unit
Celebrity Cruises
3 The Heights I Brooklands I Weybridge I Surrey I KT13 0NY
T: 0844 493 2092
CustomerServiceUK@CelebrityCruises.com  I 
www.celebritycruises.co.uk

Our TA tells me that Connie is very close to the weight limit imposed for sailing out of Venice so should be OK.

19 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

A confirmation indicating that the departure will be from "Venice, Rome" doesn't provide great confidence. SMH.

I guess it depends on the question asked. Connie WILL be starting cruises in Venice and Rome during the season, but also some start in Barcelona.

I hope it was lack of geographical awareness/grammar of the Guest Support Unit agent and nothing more.

But I agree it does not fill me with confidence.

17 minutes ago, stevenmary said:

I guess it depends on the question asked. Connie WILL be starting cruises in Venice and Rome during the season, but also some start in Barcelona.

I hope it was lack of geographical awareness/grammar of the Guest Support Unit agent and nothing more.

And that's exactly the point.

If the question was... "Will constellation still be sailing from Venice" ....poor answer

However if the question was...."Where in Italy will constellation sail from"...poor question.

In my opinion Constellation will not be moved out of Venice due to port requirements, They are to keen to get some money back into the city after the shutdown. However whether it will sail at all because of the pandemic is a very different question

PS i'm booked of constellation return Venice 4th October 21... Fingers crossed 

Stuart

20 hours ago, stevenmary said:

Here is my question:-

We have a cruise booked for 6th September 2021 sailing from Venice.
Can you tell me if we will sail from Venice or Ravenna please?

Regards
Gail

I also asked our TA about possible relocation to Ravenna.

She told me she had no information that there was any changes to the booking and said that Constellation is only just over the designated weight limit for sailing out of Venice so would not break any guidelines on tonnage restrictions

On 10/22/2020 at 11:39 AM, york survey said:

And that's exactly the point.

If the question was... "Will constellation still be sailing from Venice" ....poor answer

However if the question was...."Where in Italy will constellation sail from"...poor question.

In my opinion Constellation will not be moved out of Venice due to port requirements, They are to keen to get some money back into the city after the shutdown. However whether it will sail at all because of the pandemic is a very different question

PS i'm booked of constellation return Venice 4th October 21... Fingers crossed 

Stuart

Just booked this cruise, and I too have my fingers crossed that we will sail :)

Genzi

• Like 1