Jump to content

Philip Herbert moves on


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Captain Jose, Russ, Larry Pimentel, Nicole, Bonnie and now Philip...or may be it is just me missing all those people...

Ivi

There are still many originals and long serving. Johannes, Magnus, Carl, Heike, Ryszard, Eric, Tony. And more importantly they have hired and promoted some amazing quality people like Antonio, Gianmario, Tomasz, Elisabeth, Ernest. 

 

Nothing ever stays the same. Some of those you mention have moved on for personal reasons. Some because of circumstances. Am I right in saying that Bonnie has left for now, but as and when cruising resumes then so will her role?

 

Phil 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anchor Light said:

Yes, for sure let's look ahead and think about the great new hires and those promoted and their anticipated ongoing contributions but let's not forget the legacy of those who made such a significant impact and have moved on - no matter the reasons.

I'm not forgetting the legacy. I don't think anyone is. I'm just saying that nothing ever stays the same and from the moves that Azamara made with personnel they have done a very good job. All the people are quality. Not one can I say "I don't think much of that choice" and I've met all of them except Gianmario. He went up hugely in my estimation though when I saw how he handled the crew and covid when it was all going horrible. 

 

Phil 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Captain Jose, Russ, Larry Pimentel, Nicole, Bonnie and now Philip...or may be it is just me missing all those people...

Ivi


I do hope that Bonnie’s absence is temporary and that she will return as our CBO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Captain Jose, Russ, Larry Pimentel, Nicole, Bonnie and now Philip...or may be it is just me missing all those people...

Ivi

Bonnie may not have gone permanently, but be on furlough. Hopefully she will be back!

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I'm not forgetting the legacy. I don't think anyone is. I'm just saying that nothing ever stays the same and from the moves that Azamara made with personnel they have done a very good job. All the people are quality. Not one can I say "I don't think much of that choice" and I've met all of them except Gianmario. He went up hugely in my estimation though when I saw how he handled the crew and covid when it was all going horrible. 

 

Phil 

 

Gianmario has slotted in perfectly Phil, as you will no doubt see in the future. ☺️

Trish

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have only cruised five time on Azamara but all with Philip Including the Japan intensive last year.  We quickly found out just how great a Hotel Director he is.  We also got to meet Barbo on an least a couple of our cruises.  He recognized us immediately on our check in for the Japan trip and always found time for a chat whenever we crossed paths.  We are already signed up for Back to Back cruises in the Adriatic in April on Quest and we were really looking forward to seeing him once again.  Oh well, S--t happens and we all move on. 

 

Dave in Sequim,  Mostly cruise on Oceania and a happy R ship vet.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

After our 22 Azamara Cruises since 2008, most of them with Philip as hotel director, we can say: He was a wonderful hotel director, always helpful and open to the suggestions and needs of the guests and a true gentleman. His service orientation and prudence were particularly evident in critical situations: On our first cruise with him in March 2012, we had a fire on board the Quest in the Sulu Sea. Our last trip with him was also his last Azamara cruise: The corona odyssey through the Indian Ocean in February / March 2020.
His departure is a great loss for Azamara. We will miss him. But we trust that Azamara, as in other cases, will find a suitable successor.
Anke & Dieter

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had the chance to sit next to him at a dinner for suite guests on one cruise.  He made me feel like I was the most important person in the world.  I have never seen him without a smile.  I was so looking forward to sailing again sometime with him.  

I do noticed that he has moved on to another line and was grateful that he will still be helping people have a wonderful vacation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anybody know what his position is?

As he stated he would be having more time at home so is he likely to be shore based and involved in recruiting staff rather than being ship based .

Although with only 1 ship at the moment this may bve his initial standard setting.

Would love to know if any body has info.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, procter said:

Does anybody know what his position is?

As he stated he would be having more time at home so is he likely to be shore based and involved in recruiting staff rather than being ship based .

Although with only 1 ship at the moment this may bve his initial standard setting.

Would love to know if any body has info.

LinkedIn has him down as Hotel Director. What that entails I'm not sure.  You really have to be on the ship I would have thought so more time at home doesn't seem to add up. Unless the contract time will be shorter and that is what he means. 

 

I did a bit of Googling. Ritz Carlton Yachts are behind schedule and that was even before Covid. And they are over budget. They have one completed ship, Evira, that they hope to start sailing in the Med in April 2021. To me it seems an odd decision to leave a group that you've worked for for so long to something so unknown and not even up and running. Unless Philip knows something we don't. 

 

Phil 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure he will know what he is doing, he was instrumental in the start up of Azamara

We were on round trip Celebrity Hawaiian cruise with Phillip has HD,, when we reached Hawaii he was suddenly replaced.

Another officer told me that he had been sent to trouble shoot for Azamara who were having major problems with the early cruises.

Edited by Bloodaxe
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure that will be the reason and an excellent hire for them I would say. It's just odd to me that he has decided to leave right now. Of course I have no knowledge of how much he was enjoying Azamara, any salary hike he might enjoyor the like, but in these terribly uncertain times, joining a company that is yet to start operations, was overdue even before Covid, has had issues with the shipyard building their ships and is over budget, it just seems an odd risk. Coming from working for the same group for many years.

 

Just my opinion of course, but it does get me thinking of the situation at Azamara. 

 

Phil 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We feel privileged to have sailed with Philip on his last sailing with Azamara (Feb/Mar).

With lots of snafus on that sailing (ports were banning us left and right, the disembarkation port was changed twice, sailing cut short) Philip was, as always, doing a yeoman's job.  Helping pax modify air/hotel/other reservations, usually sitting with them on the phone in his office.

He will be missed, for certain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2020 at 7:15 AM, excitedofharpenden said:

There are still many originals and long serving. Johannes, Magnus, Carl, Heike, Ryszard, Eric, Tony. And more importantly they have hired and promoted some amazing quality people like Antonio, Gianmario, Tomasz, Elisabeth, Ernest. 

 

Nothing ever stays the same. Some of those you mention have moved on for personal reasons. Some because of circumstances. Am I right in saying that Bonnie has left for now, but as and when cruising resumes then so will her role?

 

Phil 

Don't forget Iwan for promotions!!

Edited by laurieb
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, laurieb said:

Don't forget Iwan for promotions!!

I'll admit I'm a bit selfish. I was disappointed to see him cover the F&B Manager role when I was last on that ship because I think his creations as Executive Chef are amazing. He really is so talented. But of course I want him to have the best job he can do. 

 

Phil 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I'll admit I'm a bit selfish. I was disappointed to see him cover the F&B Manager role when I was last on that ship because I think his creations as Executive Chef are amazing. He really is so talented. But of course I want him to have the best job he can do. 

 

Phil 

I totally agree!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps Philip's new role gives him more time at home. As someone whose husband worked away from home you reach a point when it would be great to share more time together. To allow them to spend more time as a couple or perhaps to see that it is an opportunity that might not occur again as the years go by. We all appreciated Philip but we forget that our lives change over a decade of sailing as do those who have been the backbone of our fantastic trips. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Philip is the epitome of customer service and professionalism.  A true gentleman to echo others' statements and what he did for Mrs. LOP's birthday and her surprise guests was beyond compare (16 months in the planning).

We wish him and Barbro and Sir Mugsley all the best in their future life and hope to enjoy their company once again.

 

Bon voyage Philip!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...