Horizon vs Mardi Gras?

landsear

If you've never been to any of the ports on either itinerary, choose the itinerary.  If indifferent to ports, choose the longer cruise😁.   

Personally, I would wait for reviews of the new Mardi Gras before deciding.  Layouts and dining and activities are different from Horizon.

In my book one day longer is always better and Eastern is better than Western. So like you said, easy decision in my book too with one caveat. I personally would not book a cruise on any new ship during the first three months it starts sailing. There are always issues and problems, mostly minor, when new ships start sailing, so I avoid booking cruises on new ships during that timeframe. 

• Like 1

I prefer the eastern to the western and would prefer an extra day, so I would choose Mardi Gras.  I am actually booked on the Mardi Gras for April.  Although I have never been on the Horizon, I have been on the Panorama and Vista.  I'm ready to cruise on a brand new Carnival ship that is like none of the others.

5 hours ago, Moviela said:

I am curious about Mardi Gras. The ships name on the bow looks like stick on letters instead of being painted, and why is the Havana section in the bow?

The Havana section is not in the bow.  It is located on deck 8, starboard side, just front of the Atrium.

Now, compared to it's location on the 3 Vista Class ships, it's in a worse position, IMHO.  Had a great aft view on deck five, with a pool, 2 oversized hot tubs and 2 tiki huts that you could soak your feet in.

• Like 1

The Mardi Gras is also over 40% bigger than the Vista Class ships and will have different food and entertainment options.  We enjoyed our 2 Horizon cruises staying in the Havana area, but tastes evolve and that's why our next two Carnival cruises are on the first two Excellence Class ships.

We loved our sailing on Horizon, great ship with great options for entertainment and food.

Loved the layout, and had an aft family harbor balcony - it felt like we had a private deck to ourselves.

We will hopefully be sailing on Mardi Gras in June/July (B2B), in different class cabins for each leg.

So many more options for entertainment and food - very much looking forward to it.

We have done eastern sailings many times, been to those ports over and over,

so we would choose western (or southern) over eastern,

but the choice of ship is higher on our list than where it is going.

Love our sea days!

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to sail on Horizon again,

in the 8 day we took on her, we barely got to half of what was offered!

(the reason we chose to do B2B on MG...to experience more of the ship)

Although Horizon is smaller than Mardi Gras, by quite a bit,

it is still a huge ship in comparing it to most of the other class ships CCL has.

On 10/16/2020 at 5:17 AM, landsear said:

Mardi Gras is one night longer and $232 more expensive. Mardi Gras is Eastern Caribbean and Horizon is Western. Sort of seems like a no brainer to go Mardi Gras but just wanted to hear other's opinions. Thanks!

Regarding the ship, since the Mardi Gras hasn't sailed yet, none of us really know, except what we read in advertisement. It is an Excellence class ship, same as AIDAnova, Costa Smeralda and P&O Iona. You might research accordingly. The Horizon is a Vista Class. If you have been on it or it's sisters, then you know.

If you like the experience of larger ships, then either will suffice.

Regarding the itinerary, Eastern Caribbean has a more, well, European feel, if you will. Excursions tend toward the cultural. Western excursions tend toward active interests. Suggest you do your research and go with the itinerary that offers the excursions you enjoy.

Edited by mtnesterz