Get Tested Shortly Before Required Testing?

8 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Obviously a valid test coming up negative.  I was talking about the unproven belief some have that people who have recovered can no longer be contagious.

Seems that your criteria is different than what is generally accepted by medical professionals. The CDC actually recommends against negative tests being a 'return to work' criteria because the virus may be shed in a detectable but unreplicatable form long after someone has recovered.   They've not been able to culture a virus from anyone more than 20 days from the onset of symptoms, but positive tests can persist much longer. 

How do you know that the lone negative test result is valid and not a false negative? 

Edited by D C
29 minutes ago, D C said:

Seems that your criteria is different than what is generally accepted by medical professionals. The CDC actually recommends against negative tests being a 'return to work' criteria because the virus may be shed in a detectable but unreplicatable form long after someone has recovered.   They've not been able to culture a virus from anyone more than 20 days from the onset of symptoms, but positive tests can persist much longer. 

How do you know that the lone negative test result is valid and not a false negative? 

There is not all that much that at this point is “generally accepted by medical professionals” .   As you mention - there is no certainty that a “negative test result is valid and not a false negative”.  What is “generally accepted” is the fact that we do not have certainty. 

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

There is not all that much that at this point is “generally accepted by medical professionals” .   As you mention - there is no certainty that a “negative test result is valid and not a false negative”.  What is “generally accepted” is the fact that we do not have certainty. 

The limits of when one is contagious IS well understood at this point, and it is NOT just when a test shows negative. 

Imperfect testing is the reason why one of the CDC's "resume normal activity" criteria is TWO negative tests at least 24 hours apart.  No single test should be blindly trusted. 

I think that anyone who has recovered from COVID19, has passed the point at which the virus has never been cultured, and has clearance from their physician should be allowed to board without testing at the port. 

19 minutes ago, D C said:

I think that anyone who has recovered from COVID19, has passed the point at which the virus has never been cultured, and has clearance from their physician should be allowed to board without testing at the port. 

So you deny the possibility of a second infection with COVID?  Once recovered NEVER retested?

2 hours ago, D C said:

That is a question that also I have wondered about whenever I read that the various cruises that have started in Europe gave a second test after a positive test and if it came up negative the passenger was accepted onboard.

3 hours ago, D C said:

What is your source of information that positive tests persist much longer after you are recovered? 

40 minutes ago, jwattle said:

What is your source of information that positive tests persist much longer after you are recovered? 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/duration-isolation.html

Data to date show that a person who has had and recovered from COVID-19 may have low levels of virus in their bodies for up to 3 months after diagnosis. This means that if the person who has recovered from COVID-19 is retested within 3 months of initial infection, they may continue to have a positive test result, even though they are not spreading COVID-19.

Edited by D C
1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

So you deny the possibility of a second infection with COVID?  Once recovered NEVER retested?

Approximately 40 million cases worldwide with 3 known cases of reinfection with little public case data available.  I'm neither denying the possibility, nor am I concerned about it.   

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I would advise you to stay in your room as there are few certainties in life. “Generally accepted by medical professionals” is more certain that anything you can come up with.

8 minutes ago, D C said:

Approximately 40 million cases worldwide with 3 known cases of reinfection with little public case data available.  I'm neither denying the possibility, nor am I concerned about it.   

Are there enough zeros to express that as a percent probability????!!! 😂

25 minutes ago, D C said:

Data to date show that a person who has had and recovered from COVID-19 may have low levels of virus in their bodies for up to 3 months after diagnosis. This means that if the person who has recovered from COVID-19 is retested within 3 months of initial infection, they may continue to have a positive test result, even though they are not spreading COVID-19.

And this from CDC “

• Available data indicate that persons with mild to moderate COVID-19 remain infectious no longer than 10 days after symptom onset. Persons with more severe to critical illness or severe immunocompromise likely remain infectious no longer than 20 days after symptom onset. The data in the article states very few incidences after 6 days so ten is used to be safe.
3 hours ago, jwattle said:

My daughter’s boyfriend was told this by the cdc representative who called him. Since he had no fever, he was given a certain amount of time to quarantine and told he didn’t have to retest because even if it was positive, he was no longer contagious. My daughter is living in her college off campus apartment, students are testing positive left and right there, these are the current protocols.

On 10/17/2020 at 2:12 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Agreed - with what “should be” - but do you really think even a majority would  voluntarily accept that “moral obligation”?

Well, yes.  I would have.  Now I must hope that most people really are not that dishonest to put others at risk.   If any person here on CC tested positive I would hope they would not purposely expose others.     

9 hours ago, D C said:

"This means that if the person who has recovered from COVID-19 is retested within 3 months of initial infection, they may continue to have a positive test result, even though they are not spreading COVID-19."

I read some of the CDC link.  Did you draw the conclusion quoted above?  I did not see that wording in the link, though it is very possible I missed it.  They do talk about the value of symptoms based over test based evaluations for ending quarantines.   

Edited by ldubs
On 10/17/2020 at 1:09 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I wonder if there will be any side effects to the vaccination .Yesterday I took the Senior Flu shot and during the night when I had to go to the bathroom my body would not move.I felt as though I was paralyzed.My wife,a retired RN believes it was from the injection because it was the first time I ever had one and never experienced it before.

Huh, I had the high octane dose and happily didn't notice anything.  I hope you are doing better.   

On 10/17/2020 at 5:35 PM, sanger727 said:

and a moral obligation that costs and inconveniences people very little is mask wearing. And it’s hard enough to get people to do that.

The costs of quarantining in a hotel and adding more time away from home, kids, work, etc will be the in the forefront of people’s minds; well over their ‘moral obligation’. They will simply wear a mask, head home, snd hope for the best if they are able to. 

the reason I am not willing to take a trip the required a Covid test is because I don’t want to be in that boat. We recently booked a trip to Mexico for later this year, specifically there because a Covid test isn’t required. And I don’t intend to get one. I understand that I could catch Covid before I go, while traveling there, while on the trip, and while traveling back. If I get sick I will get tested. If I don’t get sick, I’m perfectly fine continuing on without getting tested.  Don’t really want or need to know. Just like how we go on with our lives right now without getting tested eveyday.

The question is, God forbid if you become sick & test positive, will you knowingly expose others or do the right thing.   

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Well, yes.  I would have.  Now I must hope that most people really are not that dishonest to put others at risk.   If any person here on CC tested positive I would hope they would not purposely expose others.     

A noble hope - and, while I do not think they would intentionally expose others, I do think that a lot would simply go about doing what they want for themselves.  There are a lot of people who do not wear masks simply because they do not think that doing so will directly protect them- ignoring the fact that wearing masks protects others (while, of course, also protecting themselves).  Many will pay for phony cards which claim to exempt them from mask requirements— a number will make absurd claims that their doctors tell them not to.

Why do you think COVID infections are increasing now?  A lot of people just do not give a damn if their whims are denied or convenience is limited.

25 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

A noble hope - and, while I do not think they would intentionally expose others, I do think that a lot would simply go about doing what they want for themselves.  There are a lot of people who do not wear masks simply because they do not think that doing so will directly protect them- ignoring the fact that wearing masks protects others (while, of course, also protecting themselves).  Many will pay for phony cards which claim to exempt them from mask requirements— a number will make absurd claims that their doctors tell them not to.

Why do you think COVID infections are increasing now?  A lot of people just do not give a damn if their whims are denied or convenience is limited.

Keep in mind I was not talking about wearing a mask.   I'm talking about folks who know they are positive intentionally exposing others.   If folks would not intentionally expose others, as you say, then they would have to curb activities that would do that.   Can't have it both ways.   And I don't buy the argument that since I feel OK, it must be a false positive.  

Why are covid cases increasing?  According to the experts at CDC, it is due to opening up (who would have thought) with schools coming back in session being a big contributor especially in the Northeast.  The large increases among younger age groups (18-22) would likely correlate with the same group who would be less inclined to wear masks/distance.    

5 hours ago, ldubs said:

The question is, God forbid if you become sick & test positive, will you knowingly expose others or do the right thing.   

if I was sick and tested positive then I would follow the medical recommendations for isolation. I am also lucky enough to have the funds to cover The extra hotel days, no kids waiting for me at home, and a job that will let me stay off as long as needed for Covid without using my sick/vacation time. Many people are not in this position.

however, if I was healthy and tested positive for Covid, that would be a harder question to answer, especially with the number of reported false positives. But this is why I don’t plan to engage in Covid testing if I’m healthy.

12 hours ago, ldubs said:

"This means that if the person who has recovered from COVID-19 is retested within 3 months of initial infection, they may continue to have a positive test result, even though they are not spreading COVID-19."

I read some of the CDC link.  Did you draw the conclusion quoted above?  I did not see that wording in the link, though it is very possible I missed it.  They do talk about the value of symptoms based over test based evaluations for ending quarantines.   

The italicised portion of my post was copied directly from the CDC's page. 

28 minutes ago, D C said:

The italicised portion of my post was copied directly from the CDC's page. 

Thanks!  I should have figured that was why you used italics.  

7 hours ago, sanger727 said:

if I was sick and tested positive then I would follow the medical recommendations for isolation. I am also lucky enough to have the funds to cover The extra hotel days, no kids waiting for me at home, and a job that will let me stay off as long as needed for Covid without using my sick/vacation time. Many people are not in this position.

however, if I was healthy and tested positive for Covid, that would be a harder question to answer, especially with the number of reported false positives. But this is why I don’t plan to engage in Covid testing if I’m healthy.

Kind of a sticky situation.  What I read says that a false positive will happen less than 5% of the time.   

Stay healthy.  

On 10/16/2020 at 5:39 PM, jtwind said:

If you fly to where you are to embark, and test positive, wouldn't you be morally obligated not to board a flight home?

No because the CDC and airlines have convinced everyone it is impossible to contract nor pass Covid 19 through airports or airplanes.

48 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

No because the CDC and airlines have convinced everyone it is impossible to contract nor pass Covid 19 through airports or airplanes.

Good point. The latest research this week shows that with masks worn (as is required) even seated in adjacent seats, you would need to fly for 54 hours to be considered exposed. And that is also assuming that someone else on the plane is infected.

2 hours ago, bigrednole said:

Huh?  CDC cautions that there is an increased exposure from air travel.  

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

Huh?  CDC cautions that there is an increased exposure from air travel.  

Don’t know if CDC has caught up yet or not but see my previous post re new data on air travel. What one does in the airport may be a different story but no different than a grocery store for instance.