Cruise Critic Community
jtwind

Get Tested Shortly Before Required Testing?

3 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Don’t know if CDC has caught up yet or not but see my previous post re new data on air travel. What one does in the airport may be a different story but no different than a grocery store for instance.

I read about that DOD study and think it is very encouraging.  My comment was directed at a post claiming the CDC said something that I don't think they said.     

Edited by ldubs

12 hours ago, ldubs said:

Huh?  CDC cautions that there is an increased exposure from air travel.  

It was sarcasm. Airlines are just as infectious as anything else. Because there is no No-Fly order in place, it is implied air travel is completely safe.

It oesnt matter when you do your testing, its not like you re given it forever. You will have to renew your results before every trip and and every foreign flight. Moreover, I doubt that you will be able to keep it cause they crew will collect it before you enter (probably)

10 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I had a bad night and was in the ER this morning.I am okay now,thanks.

Glad you are feeling better.

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Thanks,Woodstock

As a long hauler, allow me to say just a few things:

One of the reasons it isn't recommended to retest after infection is because you may still shed virus cells after you are no longer infected.  Depending on how many cycles a test sample is run, it may pick up more of those "dead" cells and thus show a positive result.  

Not everyone who has had CV-19 has antibodies for the same amount of time.  Some have them for 6 months, some for a month.  The one way we can find out is when we donate plasma - they will do an antibody test.  If you still have them, you donate.  More sensitive tests, like given at Mt. Sinai in NYC, will also give you a titer level which tells the "velocity" of your antibodies, not just "yes" or "no" like most tests.  I know some in Survivor Corps who have donated for months.  I was unlucky and my antibodies died out by June. 

Remember - your CV19 test is no more than a snapshot of when you get the swab shoved up your nose.   Today it may be negative, but no guarantee it'll be negative tomorrow.   

Re-infection:  True that no many have been "verified" as re-infected.  But, I can say that many people are getting symptoms again.  Over 100,000 people in Survivor Corps and more than 5 are afraid of re-infection.  Problem is - many, many health care providers still do not believe symptoms other than the first-reported respiratory symptoms.  I had to fight like Hell to get what going on with me as CV-19 as it happened late January/early February when the US said it wasn't an issue and no testing was available. (I worked in a resort condo building as a concierge and dealt with people from around the World).  There are sooooo many more now.  If you were infected back in March and now in October, you've lost your taste or you've got GI issues or you have a low grade fever, do you just ignore it or do you think it's still long haul or do you fear that it's back again?  Despite what some obese person in Washington DC says, some of us who had CV-19 do still have major issues and worry about what's next.  

Masks - no masks are 100% preventative of keeping CV-19 at bay.  But, they are better than nothing,  So, #wearthedamnmask.

Edited by slidergirl

17 hours ago, bigrednole said:

It was sarcasm. Airlines are just as infectious as anything else. Because there is no No-Fly order in place, it is implied air travel is completely safe.

There is no such implication that it is completely safe.   Perhaps read the CDC comments on the subject.   Additionally you might find the DOD findings mentioned earlier by another poster to be of interest.