Congratulations Melbourne - one new case, no deaths

One of our sons and DILs hosted our family Christmas this year for 10 adults and 5 children. Their house was decorated beautifully - my DIL started making decorations in October. The food was superb with really good plum puddings. I always made the plum puddings for the decades I hosted Christmas dinner, but these were bought from Aldi. I felt they were as good as home made.

29 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I was looking for something like that, as I got one at a Christmas function last year and it was surprisingly good.  Do you make your custard or heat your bought custard?  I like custard on plum pudding.  Custard, cream and ice-cream - now that is luxury!

Brandy custard in a carton from Aldi. I prefer the custard cold straight out of the carton plus the ice cream and cream of course, the trifecta, lol.

Memories of Christmas pudding, family legend says that my Dad's spinster aunt worked in service to Queen Victoria and we have the royal Christmas pudding recipe. It's a great story but how true?

The recipe makes 6 kilos of pudding so a batch lasts a long time. After a messy mix in the "Baby bath" tub it would sit for a couple of days to meld the flavour. I don't really recall the early years when I think they were cooked in calico bags. I do recall that there came a point that my mom thought we should "can" them that way they would last nearly forever. So we would pack the jars and put them in the canner and there would be jarred Christmas pudding for many years.

Mom would serve it with warm vanilla cream sauce (like a sweet bechemel)

Edited by Blackduck59
3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Memories of Christmas pudding, family legend says that my Dad's spinster aunt worked in service to Queen Victoria and we have the royal Christmas pudding recipe. It's a great story but how true?

The recipe makes 6 kilos of pudding so a batch lasts a long time. After a messy mix in the "Baby bath" tub it would sit for a couple of days to meld the flavour. I don't really recall the early years when I think they were cooked in calico bags. I do recall that there came a point that my mom thought we should "can" them that way they would last nearly forever. So we would pack the jars and put them in the canner and there would be jarred Christmas pudding for many years.

With that quantity could easily be the royal Christmas pudding recipe.  Great that your mother found a way to enjoy Christmas pudding all year.  

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I was looking for something like that, as I got one at a Christmas function last year and it was surprisingly good.  Do you make your custard or heat your bought custard?  I like custard on plum pudding.  Custard, cream and ice-cream - now that is luxury!

Try the Bundaberg rum custard. It's wicked! Coles had it before Christmas.

59 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

If you cannot get that, just add a slurp of Bundy Rum into thy custard, like I do with my rum and raisin icecream, lubbly jubbly.  I put a slurp of brandy into my Aldi brandy custard too for the pud, I like to taste the spirit !!

GN-Simply-Indulge-2L-Rum-Raisin-400x332.png.06a89cedb1110df2ff8459582c7a88ce.png

7 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Thanks Leigh.  It fascinates me that you could cook plum puddings in a bag!

It is just an oven bag cut open and then pudding mixture put in the middle of it. The sides of the bag are then pulled together around the pudding and tied with string, just like you would with a calico cloth and then cooked in a large pot of water as per normal. I find it much easier, as you don't have to flour the oven bag as you would a cloth and I have never had the pudding stick to the bag. It looks like a pudding wrapped in cellophane.

Leigh

5 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Mom would serve it with warm vanilla cream sauce (like a sweet bechemel)

My  ancestors - great grandmother and her grandfather worked for Queen Victoria too at Windsor Castle and Windsor Great Park.

Leigh

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

If you cannot get that, just add a slurp of Bundy Rum into thy custard, like I do with my rum and raisin icecream, lubbly jubbly.  I put a slurp of brandy into my Aldi brandy custard too for the pud, I like to taste the spirit !!

GN-Simply-Indulge-2L-Rum-Raisin-400x332.png.06a89cedb1110df2ff8459582c7a88ce.png

I used the Aldi mint chocolate chip ice cream in the dessert I made for those who don't eat plum pudding on Christmas Day Les.

Leigh

6 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I couldn't get any brandy custard at Coles today so I bought vanilla to which I'll add some Bailey's. Coles are clearing their 700g puddings at 0.97c each!

6 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I couldn't get any brandy custard at Coles today so I bought vanilla to which I'll add some Bailey's. Coles are clearing their 700g puddings at 0.97c each!

And so much easier and cheaper than bagging puddings under the house.

2 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Lots of good numbers today. Note the decline in active cases, people in quarantine who tested positive are getting better.

472FA893-735D-465E-924C-1C8D260102EE.thumb.jpeg.7173331cfcfa300d6eb454c3d31e870b.jpeg

Doughnuts for sure, share this one around, Adrian. Everyone loves a pineapple doughnut.

1784995546_th(5).jpg.da4528040f811440218732d04cbb9425.jpg

Edited by NSWP
16 hours ago, pully8 said:

not keen on rum and raisin ice cream but love all the other ice cream products from golden north. 

Probably the best bulk icecream in the stores, I get mine from IGA.

15 hours ago, lyndarra said:

97c, cheap as chips, the more you eat the more you save.

18 hours ago, possum52 said:

It is just an oven bag cut open and then pudding mixture put in the middle of it. The sides of the bag are then pulled together around the pudding and tied with string, just like you would with a calico cloth and then cooked in a large pot of water as per normal. I find it much easier, as you don't have to flour the oven bag as you would a cloth and I have never had the pudding stick to the bag. It looks like a pudding wrapped in cellophane.

Leigh

I think it is a great idea.  I just would have never thought it possible.  

3 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Lots of good numbers today. Note the decline in active cases, people in quarantine who tested positive are getting better.

472FA893-735D-465E-924C-1C8D260102EE.thumb.jpeg.7173331cfcfa300d6eb454c3d31e870b.jpeg

Good news re decline in number of active cases, people in quarantine who tested positive getting better.  I'm amazed how many people in NSW are getting tested which shows how worried they must be.  

6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Good news re decline in number of active cases, people in quarantine who tested positive getting better.  I'm amazed how many people in NSW are getting tested which shows how worried they must be.  

Big population in NSW now. Greater Sydney is 7 million I believe, 25% of Australia population. So 3 new cases is a non event.

Govt just needs to keep a handle on NYE in CBD, probably using the same plan we used for the millenium, when I was Traffic Coordinator for City and Eastern Suburbs, keep the undesirables out.

Edited by NSWP
13 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Big population in NSW now. Greater Sydney is 7 million I believe, 25% of Australia population. So 3 new cases is a non event.

Govt just needs to keep a handle on NYE in CBD, probably using the same plan we used for the millenium, when I was Traffic Coordinator for City and Eastern Suburbs, keep the undesirables out.

Do you mean the Westies?

50 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Unfortunately one of the new cases, discovered late last night so not yet reported in stats, which is source unknown is in the Lane Cove LGA. 😮 That's all I know so far. No location alerts yet.

Sorry NSW people, why is the fireworks happening with warnings about crowds on the "foreshore" or whatever?  Way back in the last millenium when I was working in show business ... if there was no show, there was no audience.  Simples I think?  Keep the population safe. 

Is it 7 minutes of whoopie-de-doo colour and movement?  Why risk it?  Sorry, Old Lady signing off for the night. It's nearly my bedtime.

On 12/28/2020 at 4:13 PM, possum52 said:

Leigh

That seems like a very good idea and might give it a try next year. My mother used to make about a dozen puddings, all cooked in a cloth, and more than that in Christmas cakes until she went into care aged 95. I did try a cloth one several years ago and was not really a success.

Thank you for that hint.

Pam