Cruise Critic Community
Cherbob

Sea conditions Singapore to Brisbane

Hi cruisers

would love to do the cruise next October Singapore to Brisbane but hubby is hesitant due to being prone to sea sickness.

Has anyone cruised top end Australia October/ November and have any input re how rough it could be.

many thanks for your info 

I have done this trip a few times and never encountered a problem. It has been like sailing on a millpond for most of the cruise. November is the start of the cyclone season. However, the season has been been late arriving in the last few years. Here is a link of cyclones around northern Australia going back to 1970. I don't think cyclones would be a problem.🤞

The other point to consider is that modern cruise ships are very stable. Plus there are plenty of good products to alleviate seasickness, both over the counter and on prescription.

Thank you, this is on Royal Princess which is a bigger ship than we normally cruise on so wasn’t sure if this would “roll” more. We normally only cruise the Asian waters because of his “fear”. 😁

No, the Royal class ships are very stable. We've been on Royal in the Med and one night the captain apologized that it might get a bit "roly poly" overnight. We didn't feel a thing. We had a cabin midships on Baja or Caribe deck - I can't remember exactly which now.

We've also been on Majestic in fairly high seas and it was much better than expected. 

Singapore to Brisbane will be a gorgeous cruise, we've gone through there on a March/April Sydney to Hong Kong cruise and it was lovely.

I agree. We did it several times Nov/Dec and had calm seas all the way.

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

Rough seas can happen anywhere and time of the year, there are no guarantees with weather. I recommend your husband take his usual medications or precautions with him just in case. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

1 minute ago, Cherbob said:

Many thanks everyone

Singapore is a great place  for a pre cruise stay . Big choice and range of Hotels .

36 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Singapore is a great place  for a pre cruise stay . Big choice and range of Hotels .

Agree try to spend time in Singapore prior to your cruise.  

Singapore to Sydney cruise was one of my favourite cruises.  As the ship travels close to the Queensland Coast and the Great Barrier Reef, it is a great cruise for sitting on a lounger on deck taking in the beautiful view.

We were very lucky the time we went up to Hong Kong on Golden Princess. We went though the Torres Strait during the day and the pilot gave a very interesting commentary about the area. The other times we went though there it was nighttime.

35 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We were very lucky the time we went up to Hong Kong on Golden Princess. We went though the Torres Strait during the day and the pilot gave a very interesting commentary about the area. The other times we went though there it was nighttime.

We went through during the day also and enjoyed extra commentary from the pilot, which he volunteered because he was going to Darwin with the ship.  

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

We went through during the day also and enjoyed extra commentary from the pilot, which he volunteered because he was going to Darwin with the ship.  

We went through the Torres Strait during the day too and had commentary as well. It was quite interesting.

Leigh

I've done the reverse, Sydney to Singapore in HAL Volendam which is a small ship. It was a very smooth cruise, especially through the equatorial Indonesian islands which probably reduce the amount of swell compared to open ocean cruising. At one point one of the ship's generators broke down which left us drifting without power for a couple of hours on a dead calm sea. Thinking at the time of the Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

"Day after day, week after week,

We stuck nor breath nor motion.

As idle as a painted ship

upon a painted ocean."

You can never predict weather conditions, sometimes what you think will be smooth sailing turns out differently.  One of our roughest voyages was Sydney to Noumea, other times it has been really calm.

Crossing the Great Australian Bight was supposed to be rough, calm as.  Same crossing from New York to Ireland.

Take the medication, cross your fingers and enjoy.

On 10/17/2020 at 12:24 PM, By The Bay said:

I have done this trip a few times and never encountered a problem. It has been like sailing on a millpond for most of the cruise. 

On our Singapore to Sydney cruise [Voyager OTS 2013] it was as if we were on a lake for many days. We just couldn't believe how calm it was.

2 hours ago, mr walker said:

On our Singapore to Sydney cruise [Voyager OTS 2013] it was as if we were on a lake for many days. We just couldn't believe how calm it was.

Do you think the seas were calmer because a lot of the route is close to islands and the Australian Coast, rather than the open Ocean?

When we cruised down the East Coast, I was surprised to see the Solstice, a larger ship, was closer to the Coast than we were on Ocean Princess, a smaller ship. I would recommend this cruise to everyone, as there is so much beautiful scenery to see en route.  Spending time in Singapore before or after the cruise is a bonus.  

Edited by MMDown Under

Although the seas may be relatively calm .if the wind gets up it can prevent  going ashore in the tender boats.

Here is a shot I took sailing through the Indonesian Islands. It is had to see the horizon without the Islands as a reference point.

image.thumb.png.5265f278f4a569a9af11ac09bd113eab.png

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

Here is a shot I took sailing through the Indonesian Islands. It is had to see the horizon without the Islands as a reference point.

image.thumb.png.5265f278f4a569a9af11ac09bd113eab.png

Wow that is amazing thank you looks fantastic

6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Do you think the seas were calmer because a lot of the route is close to islands and the Australian Coast, rather than the open Ocean?

When we cruised down the East Coast, I was surprised to see the Solstice, a larger ship, was closer to the Coast than we were on Ocean Princess, a smaller ship. I would recommend this cruise to everyone, as there is so much beautiful scenery to see en route.  Spending time in Singapore before or after the cruise is a bonus.  

Years ago we did the Brisbane to Port Douglas to Brisbane cruise.  Couldn’t get off ship at Port Douglas, 2nd Cruise this has happened for me, Seas too rough.  Ship was heading to Willis Island, had to turn back, too rough.  You can never tell, coming back from PNG down Coast it was beautiful and calm.

3 hours ago, Gwendy said:

Years ago we did the Brisbane to Port Douglas to Brisbane cruise.  Couldn’t get off ship at Port Douglas, 2nd Cruise this has happened for me, Seas too rough.  Ship was heading to Willis Island, had to turn back, too rough.  You can never tell, coming back from PNG down Coast it was beautiful and calm.

I would never travel north during the cyclone season, for that reason.  The risk of possible rough seas is higher. 

9 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I would never travel north during the cyclone season, for that reason.  The risk of possible rough seas is higher. 

We've been through there twice in cyclone season with no problems. One time a cyclone was going down into the Gulf of Carpentaria as we were going up the Queensland coast. We copped a bit of rain but the seas were fine.

The other time we had glorious weather and very calm seas for most of the voyage.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ