Jump to content

Oh Canada! We really miss you


kangforpres
 Share

Recommended Posts

Prime Minister Trudeau is doing the correct thing.  The 2nd wave is impacting Europe now.  It will move across the pond in a short period of time while the United States is still dealing with the impact of the 1st attack.

 

Oh Canada!  I miss you as well!

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s hard to say if early Alaska and New England/Canada cruises will be impacted at this stage of the game.  That’s a bit in the future and a lot will depend on how we all deal with covid.

I did hear a supposition that the Canada/U.S. border would probably not open for a year from when the closure began but it’s all a guessing game.

 

Heck, the borders are literally closed here not just for the U.S. but for much of Canada unless they are coming for a valid reason and willing to quarantine.  West Jet has stopped flying here because it’s too difficult for many to get into the Atlantic Bubble.

We are separated from friends and family right now, but I can’t dispute the decisions being made by our different provincial and Federal government and agree wholeheartedly.  Stay safe everyone and wear a mask 😷 for everyone’s sake.

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Prime Minister Trudeau is doing the correct thing.  The 2nd wave is impacting Europe now.  It will move across the pond in a short period of time while the United States is still dealing with the impact of the 1st attack.

 

Oh Canada!  I miss you as well!

 

Mechanistically speaking, how will this happen?  Is there any Europe - North American travel?

 

- Joel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, kazu said:

I did hear a supposition that the Canada/U.S. border would probably not open for a year from when the closure began

 

I remember reading that as well.  I think it's realistic. 

 

😀  Fortunately, some of our seafood restaurants are still able to obtain those delicious P.E.I. mussels!  👍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, cl.klink said:

 

Mechanistically speaking, how will this happen?  Is there any Europe - North American travel?

 

- Joel

The virus doesn't need to cross the pond; it's already here.  The conditions (primarily weather) that cause the spike are making their way across the pond.

 

Roy

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I imagine come January there will be far more Canadians missing the south lands than US citizens missing Canada.  I have been traveling lately and speaking with friends and relatives where schools and businesses opened in August.   So far things are going very well.  It is all a matter of training. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I imagine come January there will be far more Canadians missing the south lands than US citizens missing Canada.  I have been traveling lately and speaking with friends and relatives where schools and businesses opened in August.   So far things are going very well.  It is all a matter of training. 

There are already a lot of “snowbirds” missing their trips down south especially those that travel in their RV’s and can’t cross the border.  If they have their RV’s down south they are allowed (but not recommended by the Canadian government) to fly there.  However, their concern should be getting enough medical coverage. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I imagine come January there will be far more Canadians missing the south lands than US citizens missing Canada.  

 

At this time of year, yes.  Cost wise a trip on VIA Rail's The Canadian, if it was still operating, would attract this Ohioan.  I have unspent Canadian dollars that I would be pleased to contribute to their economy. 

 

What will be the impact be on the economy of those States where the Canadian--and indeed the American snowbirds--fail to arrive?   

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, rkacruiser said:

 

At this time of year, yes.  Cost wise a trip on VIA Rail's The Canadian, if it was still operating, would attract this Ohioan.  I have unspent Canadian dollars that I would be pleased to contribute to their economy. 

 

What will be the impact be on the economy of those States where the Canadian--and indeed the American snowbirds--fail to arrive?   

I don’t know the economic impact to the US, I doubt it is vast in the grand scheme of the economy.   It would impact cruising if it were to resume this winter. I take very few Caribbean cruises (did too many in my youth) but when I do I have found the ships to have a very large percentage of Canadians.  I also have spent a month in Arizona every winter for business and there  are many Canadians as well as Australians living as snowbirds. Those, though, could easily be replaced with US citizens.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I imagine come January there will be far more Canadians missing the south lands than US citizens missing Canada.  I have been traveling lately and speaking with friends and relatives where schools and businesses opened in August.   So far things are going very well.  It is all a matter of training. 

 

We will definitely miss our winter in the islands.   But have no wish to put ourselves at higher risk.  We have many friends that visit California and Arizona as well,  five flights a day from our city to Palm Springs on one airline alone.  We’ve  heard that city is concerned re the loss of visitors for sure.  

 

I am however perplexed by your statement that things are going very well.  Not sure where you are referring to?  Latest CNN news I’ve read is that corona is surging across the US in all but two states?   We are seeing that some hospitals in Utah for example are overwhelmed.  And what training?  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been looking at the May 1st...Van to Van ....Alaska on the Koningsdam....price not too bad for a balcony and using my FCC to hold it......wonder if I am just dreaming and not a reality??????.....how could these beautiful ports ever handle thousands of cruisers  now each and every day of the season......it probably would be a disaster in the works.....easy for us to drive to Van and back home...at least we do not have to fly....that is a bonus anyways.....keep on dreaming as the winter starts to close in....snow in the hills today....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I don’t know the economic impact to the US, I doubt it is vast in the grand scheme of the economy.   It would impact cruising if it were to resume this winter. I take very few Caribbean cruises (did too many in my youth) but when I do I have found the ships to have a very large percentage of Canadians.  I also have spent a month in Arizona every winter for business and there  are many Canadians as well as Australians living as snowbirds. Those, though, could easily be replaced with US citizens.   

Who's going to replace the US citizens? We typically spend January in FL. Not this year. Our friends won't be going either.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, TomBeckCruise said:

Who's going to replace the US citizens? We typically spend January in FL. Not this year. Our friends won't be going either.

 

My friends aren’t going either.  They own a condo in Florida and I doubt they will rent it out.  I think the restaurants, golf courses, etc will miss the snowbirds.  And unless people rent their homes, condos, RV’s, trailers, there’s no place for other people to go I don’t think other than hotels?

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TomBeckCruise said:

Who's going to replace the US citizens? We typically spend January in FL. Not this year. Our friends won't be going either.

I have been traveling and people who once cruised and took tour type of vacations are out in force at the RV destination campgrounds.  I was looking for a picnic spot in a state park Tuesday and not a single site was available.  Most of the people were on the mature side.   I visited other state parks along the way and it was the same everywhere I went.   I did stay in hotels also. We selected retro, gentrified motor court types and they were full.  The proprietors said it had been full all summer and fall 

Edited by Mary229
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I have been traveling and people who once cruised and took tour type of vacations are out in force at the RV destination campgrounds.  I was looking for a picnic spot in a state park Tuesday and not a single site was available.  Most of the people were on the mature side.   I visited other state parks along the way and it was the same everywhere I went.   I did stay in hotels also. We selected retro, gentrified motor court types and they were full.  The proprietors said it had been full all summer and fall 

Adding instead of editing further.   I have said before this cruise critic forum seems to be populated by a more mature crowd and our views probably skew to the more cautious. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Adding instead of editing further.   I have said before this cruise critic forum seems to be populated by a more mature crowd and our views probably skew to the more cautious. 

 

I don't understand this statement.  Are you saying that because this Forum may be "more of a mature crowd" that we are not more cautious?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, rkacruiser said:

 

I don't understand this statement.  Are you saying that because this Forum may be "more of a mature crowd" that we are not more cautious?  

I am saying we are more mature (age) and more cautious 

 

I say that without judgment.  Older people and those with conditions should be more  cautious 

Edited by Mary229
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I have been traveling and people who once cruised and took tour type of vacations are out in force at the RV destination campgrounds.  I was looking for a picnic spot in a state park Tuesday and not a single site was available.  Most of the people were on the mature side.   I visited other state parks along the way and it was the same everywhere I went.   I did stay in hotels also. We selected retro, gentrified motor court types and they were full.  The proprietors said it had been full all summer and fall 

We know people that own travel trailers, and they are getting out. People want outdoors hoping to avoid crowds and indoor activities.  We also know people that are using hotels, but most are at least somewhat uncomfortable do that.

I don't know any  older travelers that choose to eat  at restaurants  unless they can eat outside.

Preexisting conditions for us so - - -

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My son and family from Michigan are leasing a penthouse condominium in Clearwater, Florida for the months of December and January.  Normally they don't do that but this year want a reward for being so careful to not spread coronavirus.  They've invited us to come down for a visit and we probably will.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I am saying we are more mature (age) and more cautious 

 

 

I am in my 7th decade of life.  I am very cautious to the point that a few friends think I am paranoid.  I still don't understand what you meant by what you posted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...