Ocean Cruising - January or not

2 hours ago, almostretired said:

For what it is worth, one of the large travel consortiums has pulled all marketing for Crystal.

I think it speaks more about the motives of that consortium

I understand that this is driven as much by their own interests ie trying to obtain outstanding commissions as it is by any concern to protect customers interests 

It’s times like these when you find out who your true “friends” are 

13 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

May I ask why?

Three years is a long time .  The world is full of uncertainties right now, one of which is the financial stability of Crystal.  Don’t get me wrong, I have a twenty plus year love affair with this line and am hoping for the best.  My conservative management of my finances trumps romance.  

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

I think it speaks more about the motives of that consortium

I understand that this is driven as much by their own interests ie trying to obtain outstanding commissions as it is by any concern to protect customers interests 

It’s times like these when you find out who your true “friends” are 

You may be right.  Of course, why put money into advertising a product that has an unknown future, not just when but if.

2 hours ago, SusieQft said:

I do not see anything in the letter about an option for a cash refund instead of the 125% FCC.  Does anyone know if there is a fine print footnote about that option?  Not that Crystal is able to pay cash refunds, but is that option now officially off the table for this cancellation?

Recipient email advises to request a refund by November 6, 2020.

I read this to be: If I anticipate I will not sail on a Crystal ship by December 31, 2023, I must request the Serenity refund by November 6, 2020 — it allows 14 days to decide from the date of Recipient email.

i compared the current Refund language to the text of the July 2020 Endeavor Cancellation. 

The text on Crystal’s website is a tad different than the Recipient email.

2 hours ago, ryndam said:

There is a refund option offered after 12/31/23 if one cannot use the FCC before then.

Note: If you are unable to redeem your Credits by December 31, 2023, you may request a refund of the original cruise fare paid.

Is this just for the World Cruise and segments?  I cancelled a Crystal River cruise eleven days ago and my paperwork said that credits are being processed against the two credit cards I used.  If I had cancelled today, would I just get FCC?

thanks for any info,

Marc

2 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Is this just for the World Cruise and segments?  I cancelled a Crystal River cruise eleven days ago and my paperwork said that credits are being processed against the two credit cards I used.  If I had cancelled today, would I just get FCC?

thanks for any info,

Marc

Marc, I do not know. This is the information that was on our cancellation email from Crystal. It was only for our World Cruise segments. We did not have any other cancellations this year.

Rob

7 minutes ago, Merry Twinkletoes said:

Recipient email advises to request a refund by November 6, 2020.

I read this to be: If I anticipate I will not sail on a Crystal ship by December 31, 2023, I must request the Serenity refund by November 6, 2020 — it allows 14 days to decide from the date of Recipient email.

i compared the current Refund language to the text of the July 2020 Endeavor Cancellation. 

The text on Crystal’s website is a tad different than the Recipient email.

8 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

thanks for any info,

Marc

Marc, 

here’s the press release...only for the world cruise and segments, no river cruises were cancelled.

see post #64

Nancy

From the Crystal Cruises passenger contract (US):

9. Itinerary/Right To Change/Detention:

Crystal Cruises reserves the right at its sole option and discretion and that of the Captain of the Ship without liability for damages or refund of any kind, to deviate from the Ship’s advertised or ordinary itinerary or route, to delay, advance or cancel any sailing, to omit or change ports of call, to arrange for substantially equivalent transportation by another vessel and/or by other means of transportation, to cause the Guest to disembark from the Ship temporarily or permanently, to tow or to be towed or assist other vessels or to perform any similar act which, in its sole judgment and discretion, is justified for any reason. Crystal Cruises may for any reason whatsoever cancel any sailing at any time before departure of the Ship. In such event, Crystal Cruises’ only liability will be to refund to the Guest the amount it has received for the Ticket. If a voyage is cancelled due to mechanical failure of the Ship, the Guest will be entitled to a full refund of the Cruise Fare, or a partial refund for voyages that are terminated early due to those failures.  If a voyage is terminated early due to mechanical failure of the Ship, the Guest is also entitled to transportation to the Ship’s scheduled port of disembarkation or the Guest’s home city, at the discretion and expense of Crystal Cruises, as well as lodging at the unscheduled port of disembarkation, if required, at the expense of Crystal Cruises. 

This is noted at the bottom as Version 27 dated June 9, 2020 updated October 24, 2020.

I would guess that the real issue is what Crystal has "received" for the Ticket and whether the use of a FCC constitutes "receipt" of an "amount".  The Definitions section (Section 1) does not appear to have a definition of either term.  And it appears that Crystal is busy making changes to its contract.  Presumably guests entered into a contract on a given date and presumably the contract that was in place at that time is the one that should be applicable for that cruise.  So maybe this provision has changed and maybe it has not.  But in most contractual situations one party does not have the power to unilaterally make changes without the agreement of the other contracting party.  Just FYI to all.  Good luck.  We are not booked until the 2020 World Cruise so this does not apply to us - Yet?

I don't think the current situation in the USA or now in Europe is going to help get the cruises underway.  I don't see cruises going for several months.  River Cruise wouldn't happen anyway until March.

With so few places Americans can visit and with the requirement to quarantine I think we will be faced with this for awhile.  If I am proven wrong that is great but at least in North America we are in Autumn with Winter coming.  Scientists had said things could get a lot worse then and based on the data (in the USA) we broke the daily record for infections) their prediction has proven to be spot-on.

Maybe Spring time will be better with people getting outdoors more and the potential of a vaccine(s) which gets out to the general pubic hopefully in second and third quarter of next year.

Time will tell.

Keith

Mr. B and I are hoping for a cruise to nowhere, out in the Gulf of Mexico! March or April is probably the earliest it can be arranged, but we’d do it in January or February, if it were offered.

16 minutes ago, May B said:

Mr. B and I are hoping for a cruise to nowhere, out in the Gulf of Mexico! March or April is probably the earliest it can be arranged, but we’d do it in January or February, if it were offered.

Given that it's over 12,000 miles from Singapore to Panama, via the Pacific, and then another 1500 or so from Panama to Tampa, I really can't see Crystal repositioning a ship to do a "nowhere cruise" that you describe.

Not that moving one to the Med is that much shorter.  But, assuming they can be operated, Crystal can get a higher margin on those cruise fares.  And even if lots of FCC get used, it still takes that off the books.

3 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

I really can't see Crystal repositioning a ship to do a "nowhere cruise" that you describe.

I agree.  But someone else with more ships is likely to start out with such an itinerary.  It just probably won't be a luxury line.

9 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Given that it's over 12,000 miles from Singapore to Panama, via the Pacific, and then another 1500 or so from Panama to Tampa, I really can't see Crystal repositioning a ship to do a "nowhere cruise" that you describe.

Not that moving one to the Med is that much shorter.  But, assuming they can be operated, Crystal can get a higher margin on those cruise fares.  And even if lots of FCC get used, it still takes that off the books.

We’d drive to Miami for Crystal. Would that help?

I think SusieQft is right. We’d settle for a Celebrity, out of Tampa; but we’d spend the whole cruise reminding each other how Crystal would be doing it. Still, we’d know what to expect, and we like reminding each other of things, so I think it would satisfy the urge.

Edited by May B

Cruises to nowhere are now specifically prohibited. Details are in this post:

Post #4 by chengkp75 spells it out:

"According to CBP [U.S. Customs & Border Protection], while cruises to nowhere are specifically allowed under the PVSA, they were never legal from CBP's viewpoint regarding  crew visas, and were only allowed on periodic scheduling when one or two were needed to align itineraries.

The court case mentioned above was Resorts World Bimini Superfast (owned by Genting Group, a past owner of NCLH, and owner of Star and Genting cruises) v Winkowski, and came about when they tried to expand their gambling cruises to nowhere out of Fort Lauderdale.  Once the court ruled against Bimini Superfast, CBP had to hold the other cruise lines to the same standard, and started enforcing the ban on cruises to nowhere."

Edited by Shorex
15 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

I would think the faster and cheaper route goes thru the Med to the East Coast.  30 days transit at 15 knots from Klang to Miami.

Just my speculation but I do not see Serenity going to Miami.  

As I said, near term I don't see sailings for a few more months.  At that point doesn't make a whole lot of sense to take it to the USA.  

Also keep in mind that ports like Miami will be very crowded once lines such as Carnival, RCI, NCL, etc., etc., etc., start service.

And if nothing changes in the way we are addressing COVID-19 as a country we are in for a very dark Winter and the next four to eight weeks will be very telling with the potential to have a nightmare with respect to the number of people infected with the virus in the USA making it far less attractive for Crystal to do USA based itineraries.  

As I mentioned early time will tell.  

But whatever happens you don't publish a new itinerary today and expect to sail tomorrow.

In other words it reenforces my view that we are a few months out even if something was announced this second.

I do look forward to the day Crystal will sail and we will sail.  Just think it will take awhile.  I hope I am proven wrong.  Then again, I would love to be proven wrong the on the spread of the virus but that takes 300 million people in the USA to do a better job than we are presently doing.

Keith

It was June 7, 2019 that I was scheduled to go on Symphony from Lisbon.  I still have my voucher from TAP Air Portugal for a flight from SFO to Lisbon. I sure wish I could go in 2021!  Doesn't look promising though......

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
wrong

So, obviously, this thread’s topic “Cruising in January or Not” is (and has been for some time, regardless of optimism) a definite Not. As are February, March and at least most of April.  It’s doubtful we’ll be sailing until summer. 

It doesn’t matter what the CDC is strong-armed to allow and when. Or what the mass-market lines leap to do. Crystal has to rationally consider what is practically achievable, the risk levels, all the country unknowns, the US infection rate, the expense of staging the crew, and so forth. I appreciate their seriousness and thought rather than rushing to do something rash. At this point I’m just honestly hoping they survive.  

The other part of the cruse equation is people have to want to go. Here in NYC we had a very hard time in the spring and even though things are very good here now in regard to the pandemic people are still very cautious. Example is restaurants have finally opened to allow indoor dinning at 25% however I have read many still prefer outdoor seating as a precaution. I have gone to places where I just didn't feel good about the setup and just left. This makes me wonder if a line did start up here would they even get the passengers?