The Daily for Monday Oct 19, 2020

richwmn

today is Rain Forest Day, Multicultural Diversity Day, and New Friends Day

Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy.

Meal suggestion for today - Carolina Pulled Pork

Drink of the Day - Amaretto Sour

Wine of the day - Matua Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough vintage 2016

Balboa Anchorage
Koningsdam

Brindisi Italy Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Caracas Bay
Oosterdam

Katakolon Greece Anchorage
Noordam

Torquay GB
Nieuw Statendam
Volendam
Westerdam
Zaandam

Willemstad
Eurodam
Nieuw Amsterdam

1019World.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

Good morning Rich and all the wonderful dailyites.  Roy for your care and congratulations lists, and Cat for your wine descriptions.

Different group of days, can't make new friends in person right now.

Will store the menu for another day, scallops with mac and cheese tonight.

Amaretto Sour:

1 1/2 ounces amaretto liqueur
3/4 ounce cask-proof bourbon
1 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1 teaspoon rich simple syrup
1/2 ounce egg white, beaten
Garnish: lemon twist
Garnish: 2 brandied cherries

Steps
Add all ingredients into a shaker and dry-shake (no ice).
Add ice and shake again until chilled.
Strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice.
Garnish with a lemon twist and 2 skewered brandied cherries.

Stay safe, social distance, and please wear your mask.  Prayers and congratulations where needed.

• Like 13

Thank you for the Daily, Rich, and a great selection of days.  That quote sounds like the mantra of a lot of politicians.  I'll pass on today's meal suggestion, my alternative is Lingonberry Soup, Macadamia Crusted Chicken, and Apple Buckle, as served on the Amsterdam October 19, 2017.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

California and Colorado Wildfires

Debbie’s nephew and his girlfriend

Family and friends of Denise’s friend who died of cancer October 13

Sharon’s book club member

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

StLouisCruisers MIL improving

Fall colors

Hearing from Denise

A getaway for Cruising-Along

Early voting in Florida

and Vancouver Island Government and tour operators banding together for a coastal cleanup

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Love the combination of days.  Rain Forests & diversity are ever so important and new friends are always nice to find.

Love the quote.

That drink of the day sounds good @summer slope but sounds like it might be strong 😉 

Nice to see a white wine today.  Looking forward to @cat shepard description.

Going to pass on the pork since I took Argentinian tenderloin out of the freezer yesterday to bbq.  Got to bbq while we can.  It will soon be time to put it away 😞 

Another heavy fall clean up day here.  I got around 23 hostas done yesterday but there’s still a pile to go along with garden clean up & leaves before I can plant my bulbs.

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those who need them and a clink of the glass in toast to those on the Celebration list.

Have a great Monday everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 15

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! These three days should be celebrated every day of each year! I will toast to all the Dailyites tonight - my new friends. I must agree with Roy about today’s quote. I have adopted “Wake Me Up” as my 2020 theme song, because of the first line of its chorus “Wake me up when it’s all over....”

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. It was lovely to see you yesterday, Denise! Joy - hope you had a wonderful start to your new year! We have a white wine today!

Summer - I have never heard of the term “dry shake” before. A bit misleading, since one is shaking liquids. 🤔

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating - especially my new friends.

Stay well everyone!

This New Zealand SB has great ratings, and an amazing average price of $12 - if you can find it. I found one vendor who would ship to the states. That bottle would cost you $28 - but that might include shipping. This sounds like a really nice wine. @erewhon do you ship?🙃

#40 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017 

Here at Matua, Sauvignon Blanc is pretty special. That's because back in 1974, we produced NZ's very first Sauvignon Blanc. 10 years later, they were making it in Marlborough. Now, Marlborough Sauvy is world famous for its unique, fresh flavors. For this wine, we've chosen grapes from across Marlborough, giving you the best crisp and tropical flavors Marlborough has to offer all in one sip!

WS90 Wine Spectator

Succulent, fleshy peach and nectarine flavors are accented by Key lime, mango and ruby grapefruit notes. Shows nice intensity on the long, expressive finish.
  • Like 16

Good morning Rich. Thanks for our dose of Daily.

I wouldn't mind trying a taste of the Amaretto Sour. Not warm and fuzzy on the wine description this morning.

Tonight we are going to dinner with friends. It is prime rib night at one of our favorite restaurants in Georgetown.

Good morning sweet sisters Ann and Denise. Hope we get to see you today Deeni. Ann and I have really been missing you and praying fervently.

@kazu do you need to dig up your hostas or just prep them for winter?

Good morning Dailyites, Roy, Jacqui, Father, summer... All of you are my new friends!

Sometimes, new friendships can be surprising, amusing, and come in all shapes and sizes:

25 Heartwarming Moments When Animals Gave Big Hugs

Pictures Of Funny Animals: Funny Pictures Of Animals Hugging

So our day today is cleaning lady day, repair workers day, and market day. Not anywhere near Rich's exciting list!

Have a wonderful day. Hope we continue making new friends here on Rich's thread. Be kind. Call a loved one.

• Like 12

While I have several sunrises for this date in my archives I will do one from my morning walk which came early.  It started at my neighborhood shopping center and makes a loop past my middle school to a neighborhood p  It's a cloudy day so I wasn't expecting anything but there was some decent color as I started my walk.  I didn't see anything in the park but on my return segment it was just coming up over the roof of the middle school:

dawn101920.thumb.jpg.b509a908581e6899002ed33e12cc2a65.jpg

Roy

• Like 17

Good morning all.   I have made so many friends while cruising and I owe that to CC.  I would have made more had the pandemic not interrupted our lives.  On the bright side, I have got to know a lot of you on this thread and hopefully at some point in the not too distant future we get to meet in person on the high seas.  We hare having leftovers for dinner, pork tenderloin, not pulled.  I like the quote and will take a pass on the drink.  Lots of work still to be done in the garden but today is a stay indoors kind of a day, there is always tomorrow!  Have a wonderful day everyone, and again my thanks for this friendly thread and to those who make it a place to come back to everyday.  

• Like 14

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  A great selection of days; rain forests should be celebrated and revered, as should multicultural diversity.  We seem to make friends on every cruise we've taken, and miss the experience, but look forward to the future when we can once more.

I like the menu suggestion for today, but we had pulled pork the other night, so I think I might put together the baked spaghetti that was suggested a few days ago.  I have to make a trip to the grocery store to pick up some extra parmesan cheese, and maybe ingredients for a Greek salad.  Speaking of Greek salad, 3 years ago today we were in Nafplion where we took a tour to see the Corinth Canal - a memory forever etched in my mind that we were actually there - and after stopped for our traditional "beer in every port" and a snack.  This had to be the tastiest Greek salad we've ever had:
22519610_10154700626450633_123627236017036790_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=_8H2Z404b_oAX-L1tlW&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc3-1.fna&oh=bf28c78d8c32528550754bf2ce079ae3&oe=5FB24023

@Seasick Sailor  I have to tell you, I have a phobia about snakes, so your photo made me shreik.  Thinking of the consequences with that little boy just made my whole body quake.   The monkey and pigeon, on the other hand, was adorable.

Prayers for everyone on the list, and even for those who don't think they need them.  We'll raise our glass and toast all on the celebratory side of things at dinner tonight.  Stay well, be safe!

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 16

48 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

While I have several sunrises for this date in my archives I will do one from my morning walk which came early.  It started at my neighborhood shopping center and makes a loop past my middle school to a neighborhood p  It's a cloudy day so I wasn't expecting anything but there was some decent color as I started my walk.  I didn't see anything in the park but on my return segment it was just coming up over the roof of the middle school:

dawn101920.thumb.jpg.b509a908581e6899002ed33e12cc2a65.jpg

Roy

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

GOOD MORNING ROY! NOW THIS PUT A BIG SMILE ON MY FACE JUST NOW. A NEW DAY TO START WITH MY FIRST SUNRISE AND THE BEGINNING TO A WONDERFUL WEEK!

Thank you my friend

Denise😊

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all my new friends here, I can start every day with good cheer and optimism.  And it gets better as the day goes along!

This Carolina Girl could have pulled pork for dinner over and over, and a nice Sauvignon Blanc always goes with it.

Stay safe and kind.

Cindy

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

GOOD MORNING ROY! NOW THIS PUT A BIG SMILE ON MY FACE JUST NOW. A NEW DAY TO START WITH MY FIRST SUNRISE AND THE BEGINNING TO A WONDERFUL WEEK!

Thank you my friend

Denise😊

Denise! There you are sweet pea! So happy to see your 💮

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

I AM BACK!!! First I want everyone to know how much I appreciated all of your caring thoughts and prayers!! 🙏 THANK YOU!

🌸 Good morning Rich!! Finally took a look at the map again and see The Noordam is in KATAKOLON! That brought back memories when we were on The Windstar!! That is where I first had on the beach fried sardines and octopus!! Drank a lot of Ouzo!! LOL! Thank you for keeping the days, quotes, meal suggestions, wine, and drink of the day!! It is always fun to read!

I agree with Roy on the quote!! First thing I thought of was politics.

🌺Roy, celebrations/care list is wonderful for you to do daily! I think of KK so much! 
I hope she is doing better!

🌺🌺🌺🌺

GOOD MORNING MY SISTERS!

Dear Joy I know you had a great birthday!

You looked so cute in your pumpkin shirt from your sister!  Your cake 🎂 is so good! Shawn got me one for Mother’s Day! Yum

🌺🌺🌺 

Dear Ann! Thanks for always being there for me. As I say you and Joy are my rock!

Seems like you ground me! Have you done anything Kayaking lately? Last time for us was last week. We went out near our home called Beacons to lay wreaths in ocean for our friend.  PS! I love NZ wines and wish I could buy this one!

🌺🌸🌺🌸

Summer thanks for your drink description!

For me though I will pass !! Appreciate you doing this for us! 

TO EVERYONE MAKE THIS THE BEST DAY!

ALWAYS APPRECIATE THE NEW BEGINNINGS IF EVERY DAY!

Denise😊

• Like 12

Good Morning All,

And happy Monday!

Were starting to have lower temperatures here in SoCal, finally. Lots of errands to be done today.

Our first batch of gelato turned out fine. The machine takes longer than the freeze sleeve, but there was no hard crust. Interestingly the texture was closer to soft serve when it was done spinning than with the old machine. I ran your suggestions by DH and his choice was the cranberry and walnut flavor. It went well with the appeltaart. Will try the vanilla carmel and the cheddar cheese flavors in upcoming weeks. DH was intrigued by the cheese after I reminded him of the ensemada surprise.

@ger_77  what type of cheese is that on the salad?

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 9

38 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

image.thumb.png.f5c0bee71c400148bc0f7f02c878d295.png

The sundial at Saint John Parish Church in Barbados is telling me it is time to go vote today!

Dropped my ballot off the other day and this morning verified it was in and accepted. One thing taken care of.... now on to the rest of the list.

Susan

• Like 8