whale watching? opinions please

kclark0637

We are booked for Alaska in May (keeping fingers crossed...obviously, we realize it might not even happen). Initially, I had wanted to book a whale watching excursion, but then I started thinking back to a trip to the beach we did once. We did a dolphin cruise, and while it was neat'ish, it was honestly pretty boring in our opinions.

Are whale watching excursions comparable to this, or is it totally different? Thoughts and opinions welcome. Thank you!

If you’re asking about humpback whale tours you’re guaranteed to see humpbacks but that may only be a back and/or a tail from a distance.  There is also bubble net feeding which is less frequent and breaching that is even less frequent.  I will always do a whale watch tour in Juneau and hope for the best although I’m thinking that you may not be satisfied with this tour based on your post.

The scenery that you will view from the ship is amazing.  There will be lots of snow on the mountains in May.  Juneau and Icy Strait are good ports for whale watching.  Who knows how many whales you will see but most people enjoy whale watching excursions in the rugged waters of Alaska.  

Edited by oaktreerb

By law, any tour boat can only get so close to a whale.  Now if the whale comes close to the boat, that is another story.  The excitement of spotting the first whael will bring every passenger enjoying the warmth of the larger whale watching boats rushing outside to the railings to get a photograph.  If seeing wildlife is not your thing for Juneau, take the flight excursion to Taku Lodge for a salmon dinner or maybe a Mendenhall Glacier trek.

May is the month when whale calves are experiencing the Alaska waters: for the first time:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/humpback-whales/juneau-2009-westerdam-alaska-153-2.jpg

Or the Orca that appears so close to the excursion boat that its length will not all fit into the camera frame:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/orcas/juneau-2009-westerdam-alaska-060-2.jpg

• Like 1