If you test positive at the terminal?

ALWAYS CRUZIN

They indicate you and anyone in your group will not be allowed to board if you or anyone with you test positive. If you park off site and take a shuttle or bus to the ship and you are tested positive. They indicate everyone on the bus or shuttle will not be allowed to board. Will they have the names of everyone that were on the bus or shuttle? What happens to everyone then? I see a lot of what if's. We always park off site. Guess to play it safe we will park at the pier next time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

They indicate you and anyone in your group will not be allowed to board if you or anyone with you test positive. If you park off site and take a shuttle or bus to the ship and you are tested positive. They indicate everyone on the bus or shuttle will not be allowed to board. Will they have the names of everyone that were on the bus or shuttle? What happens to everyone then? I see a lot of what if's. We always park off site. Guess to play it safe we will park at the pier next time.

If thats the case, we will only uber in a private car to the port for our march cruise.   

22 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I haven’t given too much thought to this issue, but your post makes a good point about the benefit of parking your car at the port, which we always do. 

I noted the rcl quantum sailing out of singapore is offering a refund if you are denied boarding. In addition it says thru the end of next January (at least that's how I read it) if you have covid within 5 weeks of boarding, you can get a refund. 

I'd expect more along these lines from usa cruises, though we can only watch other cruises for now.

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

That’s how it works for ships currently sailing in Europe. Why would you expect different here? Parking at the port isn’t much more expensive than off site...the additional cost is always worth the convenience. 

I don't think everyone has followed all of the rules of Europe cruises so I think it's fine for someone to mention it without getting their head bitten off.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I don't think everyone has followed all of the rules of Europe cruises so I think it's fine for someone to mention it without getting their head bitten off.

Not everyone has but it’s been a pretty big topic with OP already having awareness of the facts 🙂 

Suggest patience.

The existing cruise itineraries if the Sail Safely guidelines are put in place are likely to change for some weeks as cruises to private islands or controlled locations was suggested by the CLIA and the CDC.

Since no ships have full crews on board - that will add additional time.  Then the cruise lines need at least a couple weeks of training.

Then you have the current level of COVID.  Move forward to January.  Will ports allow cruising?  Will the CDC allow cruising.  Will the Federal Judge revoke the 60 day no sail order until probation inspections are complete?

You should know more about December 1st.

FWIW - I would be getting tested - even if not required maybe 3 days ahead of my cruise.  Even if you can drive home, who knows what the rules will be in the future?  

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

Thanks for this very important topic. This exact dilemma has been my deepest concern after we all are free to return to Cruising. A family arrives at the port and one of the family members tests positive? What do they do? Is it right to send everybody back home? What if they drove to the pier or flew in the for the Cruise? Can they immediately change flights and/or book a hotel stay? Are they immediately refunded their monies or rebooked on another cruise? Are they retested due to the "False Positive" results that can occur? Will Carnival loose patronage behind this type of move? 

There are soo many unanswered issues with this topic? To me and my family this is quite serious. Will be interesting to see what the "policy" will reveal? 

Stay Tuned.     

4 hours ago, Host Carolyn said:

Back on topic please!!!! Re testing positive at  terminal for embarkation. Thank you!!

Honestly .. particularly it one didn't have symptoms  ( ie asymptomatic )

It would be a bit of a downer.... get all ready then bingo no cruise. go home....

Don 

18 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Not everyone owns a car 

That's irrelevant, since the OP was talking about taking a shuttle or a bus, and the possible consequences  It could be from a parking lot, an airport,  or a hotel. The result would be the same.

And the solution is the same. Don't take a bus or shuttle. Take a taxi or Uber. 

15 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Or lives within driving distance of a port.

True. I feel for people longing to cruise again but who live nowhere near a cruise port and who need to rely on any type of mass transportation to get there.  

I did change a cruise that I had for Feb 2021 departing from Los Angeles to one departing from Port Canaveral. Why? Because I can drive to Port Canaveral.

While the cruise out of Port Canaveral will be repetitive for me, I’m choosing to keep things as simple as possible for the time being (which includes not flying to meet my ship). Once restrictions start easing off, I’ll expand my horizons and look at cruises and destinations farther from home. 

Edited by Tapi

11 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Interesting.  I had not realized that everyone who shared a bus with a positive passenger would be turned away.   I wonder how would they even track that.  I think your idea to park at the pier is a good one.   

2 minutes ago, jtwind said:

And I still didn't get an answer about whether trip insurance would reimburse the money spent on a flight to and from a postive test at a terminal.

It would certainly depend on your trip insurance.  The policy I reviewed required a test no more than 4 days pre cruise.  If you test positive at the pier after flying across the country - being reimbursed for your airline fare is the least of your problems.  How about cost of being quarantined as you then could not fly home after a positive test?

Lots of speculation.  Answers should start coming soon.

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

I wonder how would they even track that.

If we’re talking about the ship’s shuttle from the airport, they check everyone in. So, I think they’d have a pretty good record of those who were on the bus.  Those from hotels or private shuttles from parking lots would be another story.  Very interesting thread. One I hadn’t thought about.  We’re not cruising before 2022, so we’ll be following early voyages to see how everything “shakes out!”

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jtwind said:

And I still didn't get an answer about whether trip insurance would reimburse the money spent on a flight to and from a postive test at a terminal.

The only way you will know for sure is to call the insurance company you intend to use.

I read Princess is allowing the Covid test to be within 5 days of the cruise, so you could take the test and get the result before even flying to the cruise, eliminating your concerns. I think the cruise lines will definitely refund your money in that case, but you’d have to deal with the airlines to see if they’ll give you a credit.