If the rumours are true that Celebrity will become an all inclusive cruiseline...

Quo Vadis?

All of this speculation of getting points to reach a certain level may soon become meaningless. If the rumours are true that Celebrity will become an all inclusive cruiseline the perks are included in the fare, which I am sure will be substantially higher than now.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Argo. said:

All of this speculation of getting points to reach a certain level may soon become meaningless. If the rumours are true that Celebrity will become an all inclusive cruiseline the perks are included in the fare, which I am sure will be substantially higher than now.  

I can only imagine the outrage if after attaching points to promotions Celebrity would take an action to render those points meaningless. The rumor on another site is that Celebrity is about to announce that they will become an all inclusive line. Eliminating drinks and internet as a benefit perk will affect Elites, Elite+ and Zenith levels. They would now pay for benifits that they received as a perk.Note that this is only a rumor started by a usually reliable zenith member on FB and should be treated as a rumor unless  Celebrity responds.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Orator said:

I can only imagine the outrage if after attaching points to promotions Celebrity would take an action to render those points meaningless. The rumor on another site is that Celebrity is about to announce that they will become an all inclusive line. Eliminating drinks and internet as a benefit perk will affect Elites, Elite+ and Zenith levels. They would now pay for benifits that they received as a perk.Note that this is only a rumor started by a usually reliable zenith member on FB and should be treated as a rumor unless  Celebrity responds.

This ("all-inclusive line") is news -- and very interesting news -- to us, "Orator."  Your negative reaction is justifiable, and surely "X" is aware of this potential problem.  That is why we think that, if they do go "all-inclusive," they will grant cruise-fare discounts to Elites/Elite+s/Zeniths accordingly, so that we do not have to pay (by cash) for something that they told us we were "earning" (by loyalty).  Time will tell.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jg51 said:

This ("all-inclusive line") is news -- and very interesting news -- to us, "Orator."  Your negative reaction is justifiable, and surely "X" is aware of this potential problem.  That is why we think that, if they do go "all-inclusive," they will grant cruise-fare discounts to Elites/Elite+s/Zeniths accordingly, so that we do not have to pay (by cash) for something that they told us we were "earning" (by loyalty).  Time will tell.

Other lines do offer discounts for loyalty. The more cruises you take, the larger the discount.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Argo. said:

True enough ... IF such rumors are true, I had not heard that rumor till now.  But ya, here folks work for club points to get perks that you get 'free' that you paid for LOL.  

4 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

If Celebrity really is contemplating a move to AI, one has to wonder about the logic of running these PUP contests or offering double points.

Makes sense if they attach discounts to the number of points. 

1 hour ago, jg51 said:

I wouldn't take that for granted.   The current CBP included promo they wouldn't let me substitute a different perk.  Also when booking suites they force you to pay for the PBP and Wifi that you already get.  

7 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Does anyone have a source for the AI rumor?  I haven't seen or heard anything about it and nothing comes up in google.

Have heard that rumor for years. The logic of the way they sell cruises with the various perks is a step in that direction. It would not be surprising. As for loyalty points certainly the loyalty program would continue. It could easily be adjusted to that reality. The points we have earned will get us something if we wish to continue cruising with Celebrity if they go AI. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Have heard that rumor for years. The logic of the way they sell cruises with the various perks is a step in that direction. It would not be surprising. As for loyalty points certainly the loyalty program would continue. It could easily be adjusted to that reality. The points we have earned will get us something if we wish to continue cruising with Celebrity if they go AI. 

Maybe they'll implement a program similar to the one Princess just introduced where you can get free unlimited internet, free drinks and free gratuities for an additional $40 per person per day. This way if you're happy with your loyalty perks, you can always opt for the "cruise only" fare and pay separately for any extras you may want. But if not, you would now have a reasonable option to purchase their AI option. Just a thought ...

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Maybe they'll implement a program similar to the one Princess just introduced where you can get free unlimited internet, free drinks and free gratuities for an additional $40 per person per day. This way if you're happy with your loyalty perks, you can always opt for the "cruise only" fare and pay separately for any extras you may want. But if not, you would now have a reasonable option to purchase their AI option. Just a thought ...

I would be all in on this!  Though at $40pp/day it is not exactly "free".  But sign me up!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fouremco said:

If Celebrity really is contemplating a move to AI, one has to wonder about the logic of running these PUP contests or offering double points.

Even though it is all-inclusive, cruise lines can still offer more benefits for the higher tier members, such as extra OBC, 1 or 2 category upgrade of cabin, etc.

For example, we can use the luxury line Regent Seven Seas Cruises (which is all-inclusive) and their member benefits as reference: https://www.rssc.com/seven-seas-society/members-benefits

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Wouldn't that would work against Celebrity? The more points out there, the higher the discounts and the lower the profits. 

What if instead of discounts the higher points equated to OBC. Would be similar to the amount the levels cost them now. And substantially more profitable than a cruise discount since you would still have to spend the money with them. 

Would this "all inclusive" include specialty dining as well or just the things that are included in the current promotions. I would be willing to pay additional for "all inclusive" but would want "all inclusive". Not paying an extra dollar per glass of wine if I wanted one above the classic package limit, not being able to get a martini bar without paying extra, not paying extra for half the restaurants on the ship. That isn't "all inclusive" to me, it's basically just the same as what they offer today without the promotions ever rotating and without being able to opt out. 

• Like 1

As has been pointed out, just rumor's which have been floated around for a while, I heard from some of my friends who work in the industry a few years ago about this.  It is probably something that has been discussed, as should be, but going in this direction would change there market audience overall.  They would alienate a big percentage of there base I think and how much more is out there to fill all the ships for an all inclusive.  Regent is not a fair comparison I believe all there ships are under 1000, think about filling all of celebrities ships with over 2000 ppl each voyage, customer base is not out there for a change like that.   It makes sense the Galapagos cruises include everything, already paying a huge premium for this.  Many do not need all the perks these days anyway.  I never get the internet unless its one of the perks, or share it with someone.  The OBC is nice and great if on shorter cruises 7 days or less longer take grats, math thing.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

not interested as the cruise price would be higher and I have no need of these extras. I get all I want from elite perks. 

I agree with your " down east " thinking.

Some folks don't drink liquor ,use the internet or need OBC ( ?? ) to spend , yet will be paying for it in the price of the cruise.

It's just a rumor at this time, so, not to worry about it.

My guess--- it won't happen.

With Celebrity and Azamara combining their loyalty programs and now that SilverSea has been 100% acquired it's left me wondering how they are going to market Celebrity versus Azamara. 

Now that SilverSea is the luxury brand within the Royal Caribbean Group where does that leave Azamara?  The SilverSea Venetian Society loyalty program is absent of the perks and benefits and remains stand alone, no status recognition from the other brands.  With AI luxury cruising, loyalty perks and benefits take on a different meaning (have little value).

Will RCG merge Celebrity with Azamara?  Is that where this rumor is going?

56 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

not interested as the cruise price would be higher and I have no need of these extras. I get all I want from elite perks. They would lose my business

Like everything else in life, until you see the numbers, you don't know if it makes sense in your case or not.  

Math isn't hard.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

I agree with your " down east " thinking.

Some folks don't drink liquor ,use the internet or need OBC ( ?? ) to spend , yet will be paying for it in the price of the cruise.

It's just a rumor at this time, so, not to worry about it.

My guess--- it won't happen.

I don't see it happening either, I suspect there's big $$$ in selling packages...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

On the cruises I am watching Celebrity is doing something similar.   Book a refundable deposit and get 2 perks add the other 2 perks for $35 per day.  That has been an option on many sailing for quite awhile.