Jump to content

If the rumours are true that Celebrity will become an all inclusive cruiseline...


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:


Not to sound harsh but Celebrity are making it clear that you, and others like you, are not the kind of customer they want to retain or attract. They want those who are willing to pay a premium to sail an all inclusive brand AND spend extra on Specialty Dining, Shore Excursions, Spa, Casino, etc, etc, etc.  Those who spend little no no extra beyond a base room rate are simply not the consumer they wish to attract going forward. 

 Holland America had perfected the art of attracting pax that didn't spend anything while on board - look at where they are now.  Mothballed a bunch of ships and basically on the ropes.  

 

There is no reason to run a business long term that doesnt make a profit or enough profit

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jelayne said:

For us the All Inclusive is a positive.  We are Elite+ and the Happy Hour drinks never went to the Happy Hour or used the coupons for a number of reasons (too early, didn’t like choices,  etc). When we didn’t get a beverage package as a perk we purchased it.  240 minutes of internet was fine for a short cruise but 7 days + we would purchase internet & the discount was beneficial.   We  normally do 12+ Night cruises & B2Bs so the laundry perks are the ones we appreciate the most followed by priority tendering.  Hopefully any changes will retain or enhance the laundry perks

 

I also like the idea of the All Inclusive. We book sky suites and do enjoy going to the Happy Hour less the Edge. It is in a room with no windows. We order our drinks from the bar with our PDP. We do enjoy MC, just not before dinner. Hoping to enjoy the Retreat on Millie in June 2021. Booked a cruise yesterday for May 2022.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tfred said:

 Holland America had perfected the art of attracting pax that didn't spend anything while on board - look at where they are now.  Mothballed a bunch of ships and basically on the ropes.  

 

There is no reason to run a business long term that doesnt make a profit or enough profit

Sure they need to make a profit, but if I really want all of the bells and whistles included in the price then I might as well book a luxury line.  

Guess the price will determine if it's worth booking X or some other line.

Edited by mek
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mek said:

Guess the price will determine if it's worth booking X or some other line.

That goes with anything we purchase --- 

Relating to cruising , there are those who don't drink alcohol, don't need the internet  , don't need OBC ( can choose what to spend on their own ) and do their own gratuities . 

Why not also offer a Cruise Only package without any " Free Perks " ( ??? )  that are built into the price anyway ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pinboy said:

That goes with anything we purchase --- 

Relating to cruising , there are those who don't drink alcohol, don't need the internet  , don't need OBC ( can choose what to spend on their own ) and do their own gratuities . 

Why not also offer a Cruise Only package without any " Free Perks " ( ??? )  that are built into the price anyway ? 

Sure, but if a mass line has pricing that starts encroaching into luxury pricing, then why would people not switch to luxury, unless like me, they simply don't care for smaller ships?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tfred said:

 Holland America had perfected the art of attracting pax that didn't spend anything while on board - look at where they are now.  Mothballed a bunch of ships and basically on the ropes. 

Those ships that were recently mothballed were of a similar age to Horizon, Zenith, Century and similar to those Royal also scrapped... (I think)

on the ropes.?  Are HAL revenues separated from the rest of the Carnival empire for comparison purposes?  Just wondering how it compares to Celebrity revenue details.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mek said:

Sure they need to make a profit, but if I really want all of the bells and whistles included in the price then I might as well book a luxury line.  

Guess the price will determine if it's worth booking X or some other line.

the atmosphere on the luxury lines is different - assuming that you mean Crystal and Seabourne crowd.  That is really two steps above X.  Dressier and a tad more formal.  

 

Viking et al are the next step above X.  I think that X is looking to poach these people who like the feel of Viking but are looking for a slightly larger ship

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, marieps said:

The webinar also revealed what we have figured out already:  Gen X is their ideal guest.  They had a picture of Jack Dorsey on the graphic.  Eeeeck.

 

Gen X and $75k+/yr users are also Twitter's prime users (ignoring the <24 age group), so the parallel makes sense if that's the customer they are seeking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, marieps said:

The webinar also revealed what we have figured out already:  Gen X is their ideal guest.  They had a picture of Jack Dorsey on the graphic.  Eeeeck.

Gen X is where all the money is with a ship this size.  They have to get out of the traditional cruisers segment and expand to people who normally take a land vacation at an upscale resort

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

That goes with anything we purchase --- 

Relating to cruising , there are those who don't drink alcohol, don't need the internet  , don't need OBC ( can choose what to spend on their own ) and do their own gratuities . 

Why not also offer a Cruise Only package without any " Free Perks " ( ??? )  that are built into the price anyway ? 

there isn't any (or enough profit) in a cruise only offer.  If they did that, they would offer what airlines and hotels do - a limited amount of space at that price.  Miss it and you have to buy a better room. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, tfred said:

the atmosphere on the luxury lines is different - assuming that you mean Crystal and Seabourne crowd.  That is really two steps above X.  Dressier and a tad more formal.  

 

Viking et al are the next step above X.  I think that X is looking to poach these people who like the feel of Viking but are looking for a slightly larger ship

As a person who does not like large ships, I'll be taking a good look at Viking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Argo. said:

Those ships that were recently mothballed were of a similar age to Horizon, Zenith, Century and similar to those Royal also scrapped... (I think)

on the ropes.?  Are HAL revenues separated from the rest of the Carnival empire for comparison purposes?  Just wondering how it compares to Celebrity revenue details.

don't know, but I doubt revenue was great.  They changed management prior to covid - generally that isn't a good sign.  Hard to determine who their target market actually was looking at the ads.

 

we had looked at them prior to covid and they were always at the bottom in pricing - $800 pp for a balcony.  With a small ship that is hard to turn a profit.  Given the size of the ships they should try to compete with Viking with a Ditch twist to it - not that easy though.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, tfred said:

the atmosphere on the luxury lines is different - assuming that you mean Crystal and Seabourne crowd.  That is really two steps above X.  Dressier and a tad more formal.  

 

Viking et al are the next step above X.  I think that X is looking to poach these people who like the feel of Viking but are looking for a slightly larger ship

I've been on several Crystal cruises and have booked two more for 2021. They only require men to wear a jacket on formal nights and many go without a tie. The atmosphere is, as you say, quite different and I favor it. The price difference narrows as Celebrity raises prices. The reverse might be true If Crystal raises prices as well. Each will need to look at the pros and cons in terms of their own preferences, but I expect all the luxury lines to gain for Celebrity's decision to go AI. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed that some of the fares include Wi-Fi Surf and some include Wi-Fi Stream.  I know this is probably a stupid question, but what is the difference between Wi-Fi Surf and Wi-Fi Stream?  I thought all Wi-Fi was the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Life Buoy said:

I've been on several Crystal cruises and have booked two more for 2021. They only require men to wear a jacket on formal nights and many go without a tie. The atmosphere is, as you say, quite different and I favor it. The price difference narrows as Celebrity raises prices. The reverse might be true If Crystal raises prices as well. Each will need to look at the pros and cons in terms of their own preferences, but I expect all the luxury lines to gain for Celebrity's decision to go AI. 

The price difference for singles is significant:  Celebrity is 200%, Crystal generally 125%.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kebrown said:

I noticed that some of the fares include Wi-Fi Surf and some include Wi-Fi Stream.  I know this is probably a stupid question, but what is the difference between Wi-Fi Surf and Wi-Fi Stream?  I thought all Wi-Fi was the same.

All wi-fi is not the same.  I'm curious to know how they will differentiate between the two.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, mek said:

Sure, but if a mass line has pricing that starts encroaching into luxury pricing, then why would people not switch to luxury, unless like me, they simply don't care for smaller ships?

X is trying to position itself going forward as a luxury line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Doesn't look like it if they're gonna continue to stiff us for two drink packages, etc.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that it isn’t fair.

I wonder if X has done research on single Gen-X'ers, since they will be their target demographic. No one wants to pay double, regardless of their age or bank account.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, gskimmel said:

I just took a look at the pricing for the Retreat with the new program and the pricing (in my opinion) is absurd.  For that type of money, I can be on Silversea or Crystal.

 

Where did you see new pricing.  I didn't think they were rolling out the program until 11/17.   This isn't much of a difference for Retreat since you were having all 4 perks included in the fare for the last couple of years anyway.  They will have to bump the fare to cover the increased benefit of Indulge package which includes $$ for shore excursions.

 

The current pricing is crazy for suites.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...