Jump to content

If the rumours are true that Celebrity will become an all inclusive cruiseline...


Recommended Posts

Just now, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Not ALL Celebrity ships. Just checking. The Equinox sailing Jan2 is $683.00 6 night ocean view with $100 OBC no other perks. That is about normal. Checking on the Apex. There are several cruises for next year that are not really expensive at all.

 

Then check again when the new pricing comes out next week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Not ALL Celebrity ships. Just checking. The Equinox sailing Jan2 is $683.00 6 night ocean view with $100 OBC no other perks. That is about normal. Checking on the Apex. There are several cruises for next year that are not really expensive at all.

Yes, ALL ships, excluding Galapagos. But not until the program launches on Tuesday, November 17.

I suppose a lot of people will be checking their current booking compared to the new price, first thing Tuesday morning.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just took a look at pricing and assumed it included the new program.  For comparison, my Jan 2022 reservation in the Retreat on the Apex is costing me $5194 total.  If I were to book it now, it is $9024.  I just assumed this was because of the new program.  My apologies for assuming that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kebrown said:

I noticed that some of the fares include Wi-Fi Surf and some include Wi-Fi Stream.  I know this is probably a stupid question, but what is the difference between Wi-Fi Surf and Wi-Fi Stream?  I thought all Wi-Fi was the same.

Wifi  stream is more for movies. Under the new pricing you can upgrade to streaming at a cost.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Life Buoy said:

I've been on several Crystal cruises and have booked two more for 2021. They only require men to wear a jacket on formal nights and many go without a tie. The atmosphere is, as you say, quite different and I favor it. The price difference narrows as Celebrity raises prices. The reverse might be true If Crystal raises prices as well. Each will need to look at the pros and cons in terms of their own preferences, but I expect all the luxury lines to gain for Celebrity's decision to go AI. 

That was my point - I think luxury lines will become much more attractive if X goes AI, especially Regent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kebrown said:

I noticed that some of the fares include Wi-Fi Surf and some include Wi-Fi Stream.  I know this is probably a stupid question, but what is the difference between Wi-Fi Surf and Wi-Fi Stream?  I thought all Wi-Fi was the same.

 

Bandwidth is different, and some apps are restricted on the surf package

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

X is trying to position itself going forward as a luxury line.

If Celebrity wishes to be a luxury line, it will have to reinstate all the cutbacks of the last ten years (or more).  Each time we cruise, something else is missing!

And the higher  quality of the food and presentation will have to return,

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cantstopingcruising said:

If Celebrity wishes to be a luxury line, it will have to reinstate all the cutbacks of the last ten years (or more).  Each time we cruise, something else is missing!

And the higher  quality of the food and presentation will have to return,


They will also need to pull back on the constant, and intrusive, hard sell for ancillary items like specialty dining and spa treatments. It was so bad on my last two Celebrity cruises that I switched to Holland for my Alaska trip in 2019 and didn’t even consider them in my 2020/21/22 planning.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tfred said:

 Holland America had perfected the art of attracting pax that didn't spend anything while on board - look at where they are now.  Mothballed a bunch of ships and basically on the ropes.  

 

There is no reason to run a business long term that doesnt make a profit or enough profit

 

It has long been rumored that HAL by itself was not profitable as a whole. From my experience their consumer base wants the lowest room only rate (for their chosen room type) and does not spend in bars, casino, spa, excursions etc.  I think the new president (who was the Chief Operating Officer at Carnival Cruises for years) has been sent in to right the ship. An Increase in fares and revenues is imperative or Carnival Corp my have to merge the brand or sell it. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:


They will also need to pull back on the constant, and intrusive, hard sell for ancillary items like specialty dining and spa treatments. It was so bad on my last two Celebrity cruises that I switched to Holland for my Alaska trip in 2019 and didn’t even consider them in my 2020/21/22 planning.

 

We have been on 20+ Celebrity cruises and have not experienced constant or intrusive selling of spa treatments.  Yes they have staff outside the OV,  they would politely ask if we were interested in a treatment but never pushed it.

Most times the same with Specialty restaurants  although they would occasion swing through a bar before dinner, but again a smile and no thanks and they moved on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cantstopingcruising said:

If Celebrity wishes to be a luxury line, it will have to reinstate all the cutbacks of the last ten years (or more).  Each time we cruise, something else is missing!

And the higher  quality of the food and presentation will have to return,

The true luxury lines feature smaller ships with under 1000 passengers. Don't think that a larger ship can deliver what the luxury passengers desire.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jelayne said:

 

We have been on 20+ Celebrity cruises and have not experienced constant or intrusive selling of spa treatments.  Yes they have staff outside the OV,  they would politely ask if we were interested in a treatment but never pushed it.

Most times the same with Specialty restaurants  although they would occasion swing through a bar before dinner, but again a smile and no thanks and they moved on.


On my last two cruises ( more so on Summit in 2018 than Equinox in 2017)  they were constantly barraging us to try and sell specialty dining - by the lol, in the bars/lounges, at the table in the Oceanview and the main dining room. Often times multiple staff going around each venue hitting up people 2, 3 or more times. It became virtually impossible to have a conversation, or enjoy a meal, without being interrupted. They also blocked getting on/off the elevators when going ashore or coming back (right by the security scanner) so that you almost had to push through them to get to the elevator or stairs.  The spa staff also basically blocked access to/from the forward elevators on several decks to try and hard sell services. It was a real turnoff all around and a big change from all my previous Celebrity cruises. 
 

Hardly what I would classify as “Modern Luxury”

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:


On my last two cruises ( more so on Summit in 2018 than Equinox in 2017)  they were constantly barraging us to try and sell specialty dining - by the lol, in the bars/lounges, at the table in the Oceanview and the main dining room. Often times multiple staff going around each venue hitting up people 2, 3 or more times. It became virtually impossible to have a conversation, or enjoy a meal, without being interrupted. They also blocked getting on/off the elevators when going ashore or coming back (right by the security scanner) so that you almost had to push through them to get to the elevator or stairs.  The spa staff also basically blocked access to/from the forward elevators on several decks to try and hard sell services. It was a real turnoff all around and a big change from all my previous Celebrity cruises. 
 

Hardly what I would classify as “Modern Luxury”

I was on the Equinox last fall, saw nothing like this at all.  I suppose all sailings vary.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree other lux lines will get a sampling once X implements this.  We sailed O on a TP a year ago and loved it.  Booked O again for a TA a year from now.  Granted, we had to pay an upcharge for open bar, but it was well worth it.  Downside for us was the paltry little casino.  Have enjoyed Regent as well, and considered Silver Sea but they didn't have the itinerary we wanted.  No casino means no Viking for us, otherwise we're open.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

As a person who does not like large ships, I'll be taking a good look at Viking.

We prefer the larger ships and all the options they offer for our vacation, but with less people....therefore pricier.  Maybe worth it to some of us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:


On my last two cruises ( more so on Summit in 2018 than Equinox in 2017)  they were constantly barraging us to try and sell specialty dining - by the lol, in the bars/lounges, at the table in the Oceanview and the main dining room. Often times multiple staff going around each venue hitting up people 2, 3 or more times. It became virtually impossible to have a conversation, or enjoy a meal, without being interrupted. They also blocked getting on/off the elevators when going ashore or coming back (right by the security scanner) so that you almost had to push through them to get to the elevator or stairs.  The spa staff also basically blocked access to/from the forward elevators on several decks to try and hard sell services. It was a real turnoff all around and a big change from all my previous Celebrity cruises. 
 

Hardly what I would classify as “Modern Luxury”

 

If we ever had staff blocking the elevators  or bothering us during a meal we would be speaking to the Maitre d and/or the Hotel Director.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jelayne said:

 

If we ever had staff blocking the elevators  or bothering us during a meal we would be speaking to the Maitre d and/or the Hotel Director.

Ditto!  We usually sail twice a year on X, S class ships, never had this problem EVER.  Sometimes, early in the cruise, we would be approached outside the OC,  we would decline and that was it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Ditto!  We usually sail twice a year on X, S class ships, never had this problem EVER.  Sometimes, early in the cruise, we would be approached outside the OC,  we would decline and that was it.

Never once has any Celebrity upseller approached (blocking???) me at an elevator or in the dining room or a bar, never.  If they did, it would the first and only time.  Other more public places, yes but never intrusive or pushy, we simply say no thanks, have a great day and keep moving along.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, marieps said:

Here's a chart on the new pricing beginning Nov 17th.  Pretty self explanatory.

new pricing.PNG

If this is common for Celebrity, it will drive up prices.  For those of us that want NO PERKS, I may wind up booking more Royal Caribbean cruises.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 4774Papa said:

If this is common for Celebrity, it will drive up prices.  For those of us that want NO PERKS, I may wind up booking more Royal Caribbean cruises.

Clearly they have done many market studies and made a conscious decision to compete with the luxury market (though I already feel they are there with Edge and Apex) and they are appealing to a more affluent and younger market of folks.  It is a gamble one that I feel will be met with great success.  Then again, I love to gamble.🃏🎲

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tfred said:

there isn't any (or enough profit) in a cruise only offer

The Cruise Line should make sure there is a profit or not offer the cruise at that price point.

People shouldn't have to pay for something that they will not use. Liquor, as an example , is a costly add-on for non-drinkers.

However, IMO--- Gratuities should always be included in the price, with absolutely no possibility of removing them --- period.  I've seen and read enough on CC where some people find an excuse to " stiff " the Staff. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

The Cruise Line should make sure there is a profit or not offer the cruise at that price point.

People shouldn't have to pay for something that they will not use. Liquor, as an example , is a costly add-on for non-drinkers.

However, IMO--- Gratuities should always be included in the price, with absolutely no possibility of removing them --- period.  I've seen and read enough on CC where some people find an excuse to " stiff " the Staff. 

 

 

 

Just walk by customer relations the day before the cruise ends, those staff should be getting combat pay.  The scene some people make is beyond pathetic.  PAY THE DARN TIPS ALREADY!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...