If the rumours are true that Celebrity will become an all inclusive cruiseline...

Quo Vadis?

On 10/20/2020 at 10:18 AM, Argo. said:

All of this speculation of getting points to reach a certain level may soon become meaningless. If the rumours are true that Celebrity will become an all inclusive cruiseline the perks are included in the fare, which I am sure will be substantially higher than now.  

You will pay dearly for it. I want to be able to choose what I want to spend my money on. The perks now offered just about cover the higher cost of the cruise when they are offered. Example. No perks 7 day $800 with perks the same 7 day $1200  Pick two is usually the only choice you have. Some cruise lines give you the option of perks and no perks, with the price reflecting both. I prefer that.

• Like 1

My source is confidential.

I did call a certain 800 number to get more information and the speculation was confirmed as in the talks stage.

The impact on loyalty programs was unknown.

I am not a travel agent other than booking cruises for my wife (who pays me well with TLC.)

If the rumour is true, then Celebrity has a free focus group on CC.

Since my crystal ball predicts no opening of borders between Canada and the USA until at least March 2021, we don't have to worry about booking any new cruises from any company.

Celebrity has been opaque in potential changes affecting passengers who are already booked.

We are living in an information vacuum.

By the way I like my avatar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, twangster said:

What is Celebrity then if not a premium brand?

I don't disagree with you, just curious how do they position Celebrity.  We all know what the experience is but how do they market Celebrity to the general public who hasn't cruised?

RCI - mass market entry level

Celebrity  - better than mass market but not premium

Azamara - Premium

SilverSea - Luxury

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

That's more or less how I'd stratify it, though I may call Celebrity "upper-end" or "superior" mass market. All the various cruise ship reviewers have their own vocabulary. To be fair, before the onset of lines like Oceania and Azamara, you would see some reviewers calling Celebrity, HAL and Cunard "premium". Still, it was more an acknowledgement that they are upper-level mass market.

Look at Carnival Corp, which often has multiple brands in its various slots -- some of which are even harder to quantify. Just looking at the ones that sail primarily from the US:

Carnival:  Entry-level mass market

Princess, HAL:  Superior level mass market

?? :  Premium

Seabourn:  Luxury

Of course Carnival has gone the route of having more geographic brands like AIDA, Costa, P&O Australia and the like....

I use a slightly different breakdown:

Mass Market/Mainstream - Aida, Carnival, Costa, MSC, NCL, P&O (both UK and Australia), Royal Caribbean

Premium Mass Market/Mainstream - Celebrity, Cunard, Fred Olsen, Holland America, Princess, SAGA,  TUI Mein Schiff

Ultra Premium/Luxury Lite - Azamara, Oceania, Viking

Luxury - Crystal, Regent, Seasourn, Silversea

Boutique/Expedition: Hapag Lloyd, Seadream, Windstar, Paul Gauguin, Ponant, Quark, etc

This list is by no mean exhaustive - just some examples, and some brands might overlap in one category or another in some peoples minds (examples MSC Yacht Club, NCL Haven, celebrity Suite Class, Cunard Grills, etc) but I'm going based on the total ship experience and general itinerary focus.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 1

Spoke with a captain on Celebrity.  There have been thousands of suggestions of possible changes.  He commented that dealing with COVID is a huge and continually changing project.  With a likely large reduction in passengers, Celebrity is likely mostly sold out for 2021.

Thus implimentation of a major marketing/repositioning move like all inclusive would be unlikely until all the COVID effects are in the past.  At least 2022.

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

That's more or less how I'd stratify it, though I may call Celebrity "upper-end" or "superior" mass market. All the various cruise ship reviewers have their own vocabulary. To be fair, before the onset of lines like Oceania and Azamara, you would see some reviewers calling Celebrity, HAL and Cunard "premium". Still, it was more an acknowledgement that they are upper-level mass market.

Look at Carnival Corp, which often has multiple brands in its various slots -- some of which are even harder to quantify. Just looking at the ones that sail primarily from the US:

Carnival:  Entry-level mass market

Princess, HAL:  Superior level mass market

?? :  Premium

Seabourn:  Luxury

Of course Carnival has gone the route of having more geographic brands like AIDA, Costa, P&O Australia and the like....

Retreat suites are more or less already all inclusive, minus select dining for Sky Suites, drinks, wifi, gratuities, premium bev package, all included.  Prices on Celebrity are going through the roof.  My 15 day TA for May 2021, which we booked in Jan 2020, in a S3 Sky, $11k, just looked to today and an S3 is now $14k.  

This has been an interesting read. I travel solo, often in suites, so I pay double with the perks included. I read that someone said that he/she has gotten suites with no perks included. I so wish that was a regular option. I would happily pay for one premium beverage package, one internet package, one set of gratuities, and accept no OBC. Yes, solos get double OBC, but that does not compensate for paying for the other three perks times 2.

On my cruises which are not in a suite, I book Aqua. I get a the sufficient number of Internet minutes for a 7 night cruise. No need to pay for that. If a perk is included, I select the beverage package and pay for the upgrade to premium. Gratuities, I pay for them and then tip my cabin steward generously. The  additional  $ I give him/her more than compensate for what was lost by not having two passengers in the cabin. And, the cabin steward gets all of those $, not just a prorated share.

i would be delighted to have a no perks option on all levels of cabin categories. If Celebrity goes to an all inclusive, based on two persons per cabin, I may well be priced out this cruise line.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Straughn said:

This has been an interesting read. I travel solo, often in suites, so I pay double with the perks included. I read that someone said that he/she has gotten suites with no perks included. I so wish that was a regular option. I would happily pay for one premium beverage package, one internet package, one set of gratuities, and accept no OBC. Yes, solos get double OBC, but that does not compensate for paying for the other three perks times 2.

On my cruises which are not in a suite, I book Aqua. I get a the sufficient number of Internet minutes for a 7 night cruise. No need to pay for that. If a perk is included, I select the beverage package and pay for the upgrade to premium. Gratuities, I pay for them and then tip my cabin steward generously. The  additional  $ I give him/her more than compensate for what was lost by not having two passengers in the cabin. And, the cabin steward gets all of those $, not just a prorated share.

i would be delighted to have a no perks option on all levels of cabin categories. If Celebrity goes to an all inclusive, based on two persons per cabin, I may well be priced out this cruise line.

I was able to book a no perks suite at a deeply discounted rate viA the last minute Exciting Deals. 

We are not interested in any perks. We pay as we go, if we wish anything. No booze, no nothing. Specialty dining if necessary. So all inclusive lines will not be purchased by us, we are not subsidizing anyone else. We pay for customized land tours, obviously this is an issue in the future.

That is why we have recently only cruised with Oceania, basic level, but they have proven not to deliver the value commensurate with their pricing and their frequent cancellation of ports will not do at all.

So we will await for a long while to determine if cruising is a real competitor to customized land vacations. 

To each their own of course.

1 hour ago, Straughn said:

I agree.  It is really annoying to have to pay twice for "perks."  That's why I love getting a resident rate or booking one of the last-minute rates that comes with no "perks" attached.  Celebrity could fix this if they were motivated and had a halfway competent IT department.  But of course they are not as it means more money in their pockets.

As far as their becoming an all inclusive, I have no interest in that concept either.  It's not so much a question of being priced out as it is of subsidizing others' drinking habits.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

We are not interested in any perks. We pay as we go, if we wish anything. No booze, no nothing. Specialty dining if necessary. So all inclusive lines will not be purchased by us, we are not subsidizing anyone else. We pay for customized land tours, obviously this is an issue in the future.

That is why we have recently only cruised with Oceania, basic level, but they have proven not to deliver the value commensurate with their pricing and their frequent cancellation of ports will not do at all.

So we will await for a long while to determine if cruising is a real competitor to customized land vacations. 

Yes definitely to each their own, which is what makes cruising such a great way to travel.  I am one that keeps an open mind, changes come, I do not denigrate them before I make a choice to have at least experienced it.  Every cruise I go on, is different and unique in it's own way.  I just know that I am ready to board the ship in May...fingers crossed!

I’ll say this - Princess has REALLY gotten it right with their two tier pricing structure. Base price “Saver Fares” room only no added perks, or you can book “Princess Plus” for $40pp/day extra (all room types, all sailings regardless of length and includes ALL guests in the room) you get their Premiere drink package, full gratuities and unlimited WiFi.  3rd & 4th guests can be outed out of Princess Plus if just guests 1&2 want it.  If traveling solo the price is based on the single supplement saver fare plus $40/day for just the one guest, so no one pays double for the perks upcharge when traveling solo.  If the guests are willing to book with a non-refundable deposit you get a discount per person (based on the individual sailing) that applies to both fare types and all guests and is the same for all categories on that sailing.  Princess Plus also combines with agency group rates at no extra charge, which often are lower than saver fares.  Even special “private” past guest offers are usually offered with the two pricing options.

I really can’t think of a more fair structure than that, and it is model I wish other lines would emulate. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 4

I have also heard the rumour.

I also mentioned in a forum that I received a survey a couple of months ago with various all inclusive options where I was asked to rate how likely I would pay for certain things etc included in the price - link below with more detail. 

People were calling me crazy at the time to think that the survey would lead to anything. But like I said, times have changed with covid and companies need to respond in the best way that they see fit for survival. 

By taking part in the survey it is clear that 'all inclusive' can mean many things. I'm sure they will be smart enough not to make an all inclusive offer infringe on what I would imagine to be a successful loyalty program. Time will tell. 

Edited by dvt8

8 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I agree.  It is really annoying to have to pay twice for "perks."  That's why I love getting a resident rate or booking one of the last-minute rates that comes with no "perks" attached.  Celebrity could fix this if they were motivated and had a halfway competent IT department.  But of course they are not as it means more money in their pockets.

As far as their becoming an all inclusive, I have no interest in that concept either.  It's not so much a question of being priced out as it is of subsidizing others' drinking habits.

We also have no need to cover drinks for others in our fare, we do take the basic drinks offering  because it includes water, juices, nice  teas, upgraded coffees and dh's  1 or 2 beers and a few glasses of wine durung the cruise. Plus you don't gave to sign for each item.

We actually preferred  X  before it introduced the drink packages which resulted in a big change in demographics...crossovers from other more party oriented cruise lines,,

19 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

You will pay dearly for it. I want to be able to choose what I want to spend my money on. The perks now offered just about cover the higher cost of the cruise when they are offered. Example. No perks 7 day $800 with perks the same 7 day $1200  Pick two is usually the only choice you have. Some cruise lines give you the option of perks and no perks, with the price reflecting both. I prefer that.

When reading these comments, I noticed your avatar.

All I can say is:

Thank you!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

My first thought is that all-inclusive for all passengers turns Celebrity into a loud party ship atmosphere.  Definitely not for me.

Isn't Azamara all inclusive? I haven’t heard that they turned into party ships.

• Like 3

Just now, C-Dragons said:

Isn't Azamara all inclusive? I haven’t heard that they turned into party ships.

Yeah but the difference is that Celebrity would be a mass market all-inclusive on large 3000 passenger ships.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

My first thought is that all-inclusive for all passengers turns Celebrity into a loud party ship atmosphere.  Definitely not for me.

That's exactly what I was thinking--- nor for me .

With regards to " Free " perks ,  I could be wrong , but, I assume somehow they are built into the price .

A base price with Gratuities included would be fine with express mention that " Gratuities cannot be removed at any time " .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

Yeah but the difference is that Celebrity would be a mass market all-inclusive on large 3000 passenger ships.  

Oh, I'm definitely not advocating for X to be all inclusive. I think people should have a choice in how they wish to spend their money.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Because the booking price will be higher, I don't see the partiers being attracted to X which historically has a higher age average than the big three.  All in, CCL charges $61/day for unlimited booze, the average per night rates for X before the presumed all inclusive increase is usually well over $100/night over CCL.  With that being said, due to many people being couped up and being slightly disappointed by the new cruise protocols, when any cruise line restarts I believe many will more than they did during pre-pandemic cruises.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

No offence but that’s exactly what posters said when Celebrity started the drink packages back when 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

Totally agree. All inclusive should be an option only.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, A Sixth? said:

No offence but that’s exactly what posters said when Celebrity started the drink packages back when 

And overall it has not been an issue.  Although for shorter cruises out of Florida, you can definitely tell the difference in the crowds - much more of a party atmosphere and the bars very crowded.  Will never forget the Connie spring break cruise from h**l a few years back.  700+ college spring breakers onboard, many of them over 21 and the ones under 21 had the older ones grabbing them shots and putting them into water bottles.  Animal house at sea.  So overall, I agree has not been an issue.  But at times, yes it sure has.

• Like 1