If the rumours are true that Celebrity will become an all inclusive cruiseline...

Quo Vadis?

On 10/20/2020 at 10:18 AM, Argo. said:

All of this speculation of getting points to reach a certain level may soon become meaningless. If the rumours are true that Celebrity will become an all inclusive cruiseline the perks are included in the fare, which I am sure will be substantially higher than now.  

We usually compare Celebrity, NCL and Royal Caribbean prior to booking a cruise.

Celebrity and Royal have great happy hour benefits, NCL does not.

When we first started cruising NCL would more than not be the lowest priced when comparing.  The last 2-3 years NCL went with price bundling, including drink packages that we don't want.  This pushed up NCL's bottom line price and made it non-competitive compared to Celebrity and Royal.

Please, Celebrity, don't do the all inclusive.   We don't want open bar, since we are moderate drinkers.   It you do this and raise your bottom line prices, you may be priced out for future cruises.

• Like 1

currently any one who books an upper suite is in effect booking all inclusive.

I have yet to see a suite guest behaving like it is a party free for all.

Because drinks are included Michaels/The Retreat it is not exactly a party venue but a sophistiacted bar to get a quite drink... with out having to pay extra. 

Why should drinks included mean party boat?

Edited by groryjm
  • Like 4

I'm somewhat surprised that there are rumors already yet they haven't announced anything.  Going all inclusive or including all the perks makes "lift and shift" easier on X, yet it's pretty generous for those who booked an inside stateroom without any perks assuming all inclusive applies to every stateroom.

11 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I'm somewhat surprised that there are rumors already yet they haven't announced anything.  Going all inclusive or including all the perks makes "lift and shift" easier on X, yet it's pretty generous for those who booked an inside stateroom without any perks assuming all inclusive applies to every stateroom.

No one knows for sure how they would handle it if they decided to go all-inclusive but I seriously doubt they would just allow all the current bookings to convert to all-inclusive.  That would be so unfair to those who booked with perks.  The uproar would be huge and ugly.  I don't know how they will handle it (if the rumor is true) but just converting current bookings makes zero sense to me.

27 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

No one knows for sure how they would handle it if they decided to go all-inclusive but I seriously doubt they would just allow all the current bookings to convert to all-inclusive.  That would be so unfair to those who booked with perks.  The uproar would be huge and ugly.  I don't know how they will handle it (if the rumor is true) but just converting current bookings makes zero sense to me.

Agreed. Makes no sense and not profitable for X. I would imagine that you would need to change an existing booking and pay any extra amount to enjoy the new benefits. They are a business intent on making a profit above everything else! 

45 minutes ago, dvt8 said:

They are a business intent on making a profit above everything else! 

Which is why I suspect the rumor is getting serious consideration.   Like bundling all the perks with Retreat bookings has pushed Suite prices way up I'm sure that's what they would like to do across the board.   If you want to book the room you must pay for all the perks as well as a way to boost the bottom line.

I suspect that's the way it would be handled.   Change the booking pricing structure to just bundle all perks with all staterooms leaving existing bookings alone.   If you want to change your booking it would have to be to an inclusive rate.

14 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Which is why I suspect the rumor is getting serious consideration.   Like bundling all the perks with Retreat bookings has pushed Suite prices way up I'm sure that's what they would like to do across the board.   If you want to book the room you must pay for all the perks as well as a way to boost the bottom line.

I suspect that's the way it would be handled.   Change the booking pricing structure to just bundle all perks with all staterooms leaving existing bookings alone.   If you want to change your booking it would have to be to an inclusive rate.

I agree  At the same time, if they were to bump prices up that way I find it hard to believe they will be able to fill all their ships, assuming they keep all their ships that is.  I wonder if instead of converting the entire fleet, they might break out a certain class of ships (obvious choice is Edge class) to become a unique all-inclusive line.  That makes the most sense to me.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I agree  At the same time, if they were to bump prices up that way I find it hard to believe they will be able to fill all their ships, assuming they keep all their ships that is.  I wonder if instead of converting the entire fleet, they might break out a certain class of ships (obvious choice is Edge class) to become a unique all-inclusive line.  That makes the most sense to me.

Per CLIA, they're not allowed to fill their ships at the moment and it'll most likely be a progressive capacity increase vs going from say 60% capacity to 100% overnight.  Cruise pricing generally follows the following pricing model in order to fill the ship (to the capacity %), offer deeper discounts via sail away pricing and deeper resident/military/gambler discounts as the sailing nears.

16 hours ago, groryjm said:

I have yet to see a suite guest behaving like it is a party free for all.

How would anyone know who stays in what cabin ?

While we've all seen people acting like , let's say " Out of Character " , we never know whether they are in a suite or in an inside on minnow deck. What's the difference anyway ? Just because someone stays in a suite doesn't make them any better or has more " class " than anyone else on the ship.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Pinboy said:

While we've all seen people acting like , let's say " Out of Character " , we never know whether they are in a suite or in an inside on minnow deck. What's the difference anyway ? Just because someone stays in a suite doesn't make them any better or has more " class " than anyone else on the ship.  

I think if you read  goryjm’s full reply, he was speaking about guests he saw in Michael’s/Retreat Lounge. Those guests are in suites or are Zeniths. You are quite correct that those guests are not better than any other guest on board the ship. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pinboy said:

By defenition anyone in a Michaels/retreat is either in a suite or zenith and as such is able to drink what ever they want in there at no extra cost. As I said earlier I have yet to see any of those in there behaving as if it is a loud party ship.  

46 minutes ago, groryjm said:

By defenition anyone in a Michaels/retreat is either in a suite or zenith and as such is able to drink what ever they want in there at no extra cost. As I said earlier I have yet to see any of those in there behaving as if it is a loud party ship.  

Blue Chip top tier members and certain VIPs may also be in there, but you are correct about behavior. Other than some rare loud talking, I've seen no behavior problems.

3 hours ago, groryjm said:

As I said earlier I have yet to see any of those in there behaving as if it is a loud party ship.  

That's fine -- But, doesn't it depend who is on the cruise at the time ? 

Last December we were on the Reflection and on a few occasions we did see one or to couples coming out of Michaels Club who enjoyed a little more xxxx than their body could tolerate. 

Generally speaking, Celebrity does not attract a " wild ,unruly behaving  " crowd ---- oops, one exception ---- the Oceanview Cafe.

15 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Not true, Michaels Club/Retreat also has members of the “Blue Chip” club and they were noisy and were very loud.    Don’t know if they were more boisterous than the suite and Zenith passengers but Michaels Club on the Reflection was too crowded and too noisy.

My experience on the Reflection.....so quiet you could enjoy a pre dinner snooze.  After dinner almost empty.  BUT....an enjoyable break away from the hustle elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AtSeaSoon said:

My experience on the Reflection.....so quiet you could enjoy a pre dinner snooze.  After dinner almost empty.  BUT....an enjoyable break away from the hustle elsewhere.

It just varies so much depending on the crowd on a particular sailing.  Last year we had the displeasure of sailing with a large corporate group on Reflection.  I wasn't in a suite so can't speak to the Retreat specifically.  But overall, it was a less than pleasant experience.  They completely booked up the specialty restaurants many nights, and the bars were overwhelmed in the hour or so before their reservations (I knew they were with the group as they had name tags).  Very crowded and very noisy.

15 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

It just varies so much depending on the crowd on a particular sailing.

That's exactly correct--- I said the same thing a few posts ago.

But, to the point of this thread----If Celebrity changes to AI, we will change cruise Lines or our travel preferences.

IMO, there will be too many passengers with that  " Gotta get my money's worth , eh " attitude.

Nope, not for me ( pas pour moi ) .

• Like 2

Just now, Pinboy said:

But, to the point of this thread----If Celebrity changes to AI, we will change cruise Lines or our travel preferences.

IMO, there will be too many passengers with that  " Gotta get my money's worth , eh " attitude.

There are already many of those, gotta my moneys...I never eat at the buffet but I do like my few times a cruise entertainment, sit in the a.m. with a cup of coffee and watch em rip, like they never saw a waffle before.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

I think it depends on where you are cruising 

we did 28 days on the Infinity last year , a Holy land cruise and TA , drink packages on both cruises, also a large number of people also had the package 

we saw very little intoxication on both cruises 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

I think it depends on where you are cruising 

we did 28 days on the Infinity last year , a Holy land cruise and TA , drink packages on both cruises, also a large number of people also had the package 

we saw very little intoxication on both cruises 

I understand why some folks do not like the idea of AI, but for us is well worth it.  I also really like the Celebrity product (Summit and Edge in particular) and atmosphere immensely and really have no desire to find another cruise line.  I suppose if I HAD to, I'd go with NCL.  Royal and Princess don't do it for me...too may kids.  I am also a never ever Carnival person.

I often cruise solo in a suite. That means I am in Michael’s Club/The Retreat and have a great opportunity to watch fellow suite  passengers. With most suite passengers having the premium package, there are many who do not utilize MC, preferring to socialize with others/family/friends in the various bars. The folks in MC are, generally, the older more sedate crowd, and generally experienced cruisers, not all, but most. I have never, ever, seen an obviously drunken  passenger in MC. I have seen some people who were clearly enjoying their cocktails, but no bad behavior. What I have observed, and unfortunately, was, once the target of, an obnoxious passenger.  It is the “I am in  a suite and entitled to everything” passenger. Alcohol has nothing to do with it. These folks are just plain rude to the concierge, the bartender, the server, and their fellow passengers. They are the same folks who, around the ship, make sure that everyone knows they are the suite. I describe it as “the make way for me. Important person coming thru” mentality. The point to this post is that the “included” beverages for suite passengers  do not result in  the I am going to get my money’s worth mentality.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Straughn said:

I often cruise solo in a suite. That means I am in Michael’s Club/The Retreat and have a great opportunity to watch fellow suite  passengers. With most suite passengers having the premium package, there are many who do not utilize MC, preferring to socialize with others/family/friends in the various bars. The folks in MC are, generally, the older more sedate crowd, and generally experienced cruisers, not all, but most. I have never, ever, seen an obviously drunken  passenger in MC. I have seen some people who were clearly enjoying their cocktails, but no bad behavior. What I have observed, and unfortunately, was, once the target of, an obnoxious passenger.  It is the “I am in  a suite and entitled to everything” passenger. Alcohol has nothing to do with it. These folks are just plain rude to the concierge, the bartender, the server, and their fellow passengers. They are the same folks who, around the ship, make sure that everyone knows they are the suite. I describe it as “the make way for me. Important person coming thru” mentality. The point to this post is that the “included” beverages for suite passengers  do not result in  the I am going to get my money’s worth mentality.

The most egregious behavior I have seen on Celebrity is at the buffet.  I do not eat from buffets on land or sea, but I do go for the pure "entertainment" value!

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2020 at 5:42 PM, groryjm said:

Perhaps not in Michael's/Retreat, but I have observed this behavior in Luminae.

We were on a TA one Spring on Reflection and a group of 12 friends had dinner almost every night at a long table in the back section of Luminae. They required many bottles of wine each night for their “party”. The more they drank, the louder they became. It made for a very unpleasant dining experience for everyone else trying to have a peaceful dinner. I have no problems with a group of friends/family in Luminae having dinner together but the behavior of this group was unbelievable. And sadly the Maitre D' wouldn’t say anything to them.

We have 2 cruises booked next year both in Aqua Class and with the 4 perks package included. We booked at a great deal which is lower than current booking prices with only one perk.  We also have the Premium drinks package with the 4 perks.  We basically have these cruises booked as an "all inclusive" deal and we love it. Other than shore excursions we have everything on the 2 cruises included.  I think the idea of X going all inclusive is a fantastic idea and would keep my business for years to come.