If the rumours are true that Celebrity will become an all inclusive cruiseline...

Quo Vadis?

On 10/26/2020 at 5:04 PM, Pinboy said:

That's exactly correct--- I said the same thing a few posts ago.

But, to the point of this thread----If Celebrity changes to AI, we will change cruise Lines or our travel preferences.

IMO, there will be too many passengers with that  " Gotta get my money's worth , eh " attitude.

Nope, not for me ( pas pour moi ) .

IMO, if people were going to have the "gotta get my money's worth" attitude it would already be happening due to the # of people that have the unlimited drink package included as part of their booking.

Edited by lovemylab
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, lovemylab said:

IMO, if people were going to have the "gotta get my money's worth" attitude it would already be happening due to the # of people that have the unlimited drink package included as part of their booking.

Celebrity AI, I am all in!

On 10/21/2020 at 5:44 PM, davekathy said:

I actually agree with you. 😉

Does anyone think that celebrity might be posting these crazy ideas to see how we all respond.  Or some crazy person who doesn’t  have anything better to do! Some of this stuff just doesn’t make sense!  Why would celebrity spend money on the PUP program, just to tell us the varies levels will be nonexistent.  I want to think positive, we have enough negative stuff going on!

On 10/20/2020 at 10:18 AM, Argo. said:

All of this speculation of getting points to reach a certain level may soon become meaningless. If the rumours are true that Celebrity will become an all inclusive cruiseline the perks are included in the fare, which I am sure will be substantially higher than now.  

Not entirely. Perks such as priority boarding and departure, special exclusive events such as cocktails and meet the captain, premium bathroom soaps and amenities, afternoon canapes and treats delivered to the room,  priority seating in the theater and priority reservations in premium restaurants, and so on could go to highest loyalty tiers. 

What might be impacted is classes such as Concierge Class or Aqua Class cabins.  Not sure what advantages they would have if paid perks are now all-inclusive.

Edited by Silvery Seas Cruiser

The chance of them going to all inclusive is probably about 0. They know what percentage of their customers currently buy all four perks, and I'm guessing that number is pretty low. The people that don't buy it because they don't want/need them so it's pretty stupid to pay hundreds of dollars for something you didn't want to begin with. They surely aren't going to throw them in at no extra charge. Rather than paying the extra money, people would either not go or go with some line that gives them options.

We had all four once because we had a suite, and we ever got anywhere near the value of it because we don't change what we want just to justify the extra cost.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ocdublin said:

Does anyone think that celebrity might be posting these crazy ideas to see how we all respond. 

That’s the crazy thing about social media, celebrity has not posted anything.  This is rumor is from someone seeing something posted on Facebook on a celebrity group.maybe, slightly, doubtful the person has some insight but would have the same if I posted ooohh I heard that Edge n Apex collided and sunk. All fake news.  

4 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

The chance of them going to all inclusive is probably about 0. They know what percentage of their customers currently buy all four perks, and I'm guessing that number is pretty low. The people that don't buy it because they don't want/need them so it's pretty stupid to pay hundreds of dollars for something you didn't want to begin with. They surely aren't going to throw them in at no extra charge. Rather than paying the extra money, people would either not go or go with some line that gives them options.

We had all four once because we had a suite, and we ever got anywhere near the value of it because we don't change what we want just to justify the extra cost.

I do think that all inclusive is happening but I think it would be futile for us to guess what AI will actually include. Celebrity would have a huge amount of customer insight for them to understand the types of customers that they want to attract and they would also understand how much they are willing to pay. This might not sit well with many of their existing customers but it is quite clear that they have been chasing a younger and more affluent demographic for some time - just look at the edge series and all of the marketing targeted at the LGBT demographic. It actually makes even more sense when RCCL would be trying to differentiate between all of their brands and to fend off competition from young/hip newcomers such as virgin cruises. 

Just my thoughts but I'm sure the rumour will either come to fruition shortly or just die like many of them before. 

Edited by dvt8

53 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

That’s the crazy thing about social media, celebrity has not posted anything.  This is rumor is from someone seeing something posted on Facebook on a celebrity group.maybe, slightly, doubtful the person has some insight but would have the same if I posted ooohh I heard that Edge n Apex collided and sunk. All fake news.  

If it's anything I've come to realize over the last few years: if someone says it's fake  news, it will be the gospel truth.😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bikerunner said:

I am not saying it is true, but the rumor is definitely not from someone seeing something posted on Facebook.  It is from a Zenith member who has some connections at Celebrity.  He has not said it is a for sure; he said it is a rumor.  Considering many of us got surveys from Celebrity asking questions related to the topic, I suspect it is very possible they are looking into it.  I also suspect perhaps for some of their ships, like Edge class.    It may not come to pass, but this is not your garden variety social media rumor.

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

I am not saying it is true, but the rumor is definitely not from someone seeing something posted on Facebook.  It is from a Zenith member who has some connections at Celebrity.  He has not said it is a for sure; he said it is a rumor.  Considering many of us got surveys from Celebrity asking questions related to the topic, I suspect it is very possible they are looking into it.  I also suspect perhaps for some of their ships, like Edge class.    It may not come to pass, but this is not your garden variety social media rumor.

Wouldn’t doubt they are looking at it as an option overall Everything is always on the table including decommissioning ships, selling ships etc  going all inclusive and thinking of making a major change like that during this surreal time would completely put them out of business as they would lose most of core customers by pricing them out.  Like posted earlier big difference running all inclusive on 1000or less ships vs over 2000.  just find it totally improbable and just a rumor.  The zenith person might have some insight but without any executive level celebrity person saying its true or whatever this is the same as all the” correct breaking news “ given out there with anonymous sources which so much has been false overall when story comes out.  

22 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

The OP said it was a rumour. A rumour is a rumour. It could be true and it could not be true. What's this with fake news?

Rumour, Rumor, it all takes up space and thought on a slow news discussion board dedicated to cruising when nobody is cruising.  Just some fun and speculation.

• Like 1

I suggest you check it out. I did and celebrity is definitely considering it to move to all inclusive. Right now you can purchase an all inclusive cruise with Celebrity. Ask your TA or call Celebrity. Remember ALL inclusive is really not ALL. It does cover most everything you would normally pay extra for. However, when you find out how much the cruise will be, you are paying for all the extras. You may not use all what you are paying for.

57 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I suggest you check it out. I did and celebrity is definitely considering it to move to all inclusive. Right now you can purchase an all inclusive cruise with Celebrity. Ask your TA or call Celebrity. Remember ALL inclusive is really not ALL. It does cover most everything you would normally pay extra for. However, when you find out how much the cruise will be, you are paying for all the extras. You may not use all what you are paying for.

Good point. All inclusive can mean many things.  I actually agree on some point if celebrity does “all inclusive” with it including tips and drinks.  Of course then this would bring out the idiotic popcorn discussion of tips and why can’t I pay the people individually.  The price point added be around 75 or so pp per night probably higher.  But seeing when booking prices 1500 higher on a 10 day cruise than use to would drive to many people away. Yes many here break it down but the average consumer nope.    

All inclusive limits passenger choice by requiring the purchase of a total package that many would not find useful. It would also raise prices closer to the all inclusive luxury lines that might be harmful to Celebrity's bottom line by inticing some to "for a few dollars more" try a truly luxury line.  As I have learned " you try it, you'll like it"  might come into play. Celebrity can and should offer special promtions and bundle pricing options for those who desire more, but should, IMHO not go the "all inclusive" route. I also believe that reducing perks earned through loyalty .

Really doesn't matter whether or not you like the idea of X going AI or not, it's all about competition.  Right now Americans can visit Mexico without even taking a Covid test and there are Mexican AI resort deals to be had.  And once cruising resumes, nearly every port that allows cruise ship will most likely be open to tourists which will most likely have huge discounted accommodations.

I'll share my personal trip to Hawaii which just waived their quarantine IF you produce a negative Covid test...I booked the following about 3 weeks ago, mainly a change of scenery where I'll telework by day, and play late afternoon-night.  Going with another couple so we can split some costs.  Please note that this is over weekdays and not the weekend.

Airfare $361 main cabin ($288 for basic) LAX to HNL round trip on Hawaiian airlines.  To my surprise Hawaiian matched my United Airlines status and it appears we'll be upgraded to lie flat first on both legs but either way my girl and I can each check up to three bags for free.

Hotel $275/night all in (no resort fees!) 800+ sq/ft two bedroom and two bathroom Oceanview suite w/balcony at the newly renovated Embassy Suites Waikiki beach walk.  Free daily hot breakfast (take out only).

Rental car, $29/day all in for a guaranteed Jeep Wrangler (can remove the roof), lowest option was an economy for $14/day all in.

Parking FREE, found a free option across the street, saves the $40/night embassy suites charges.

Inter island flight RTs average at about $80 flight

While there are many closures, some restaurants are offering unique al fresco dining, it isn't as difficult to last minute reservations, it's a great teleworking change of scenery for us.  I would LOVE to telework on a scenic cruise yet the wifi is too slow/unreliable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

It would have been nice to hear “the news” from the horse's mouth, i.e. Celebrity, rather than indulge in all this speculation.

Over the last six months what information about anything, other  than sales, has Celebrity given us.  Nada, nix, nothing..

Without speculation, these boards would have nothing to "talk" about.

• Like 2

All-inclusive might be a good idea for the post-Covid environment.  The crew will have lots of new duties because of the Covid regs.  If all passengers have free drinks, that saves time charging for individual drinks.  If all passengers have prepaid gratuities that spares crew worries about passengers getting angry over rule enforcement and cancelling their tips, and saves time at the front desk.  Internet is no longer the luxury it once was and bandwidth has been increased, so might as well include it for everybody.  Yes it will increase the prices, but this should help make Inside cabins 'break even' rather than loss leaders.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Yes it will increase the prices, but this should help make Inside cabins 'break even' rather than loss leaders.

I would really like to know, if ships are sailing at reduced capacity, which cabin categories will not be offered for booking.

The lack of guidance on this ticks me off more than anything... other than not cruising at all.

8 minutes ago, Argo. said:

I would really like to know, if ships are sailing at reduced capacity, which cabin categories will not be offered for booking.

The lack of guidance on this ticks me off more than anything... other than not cruising at all.

Generally speaking, most ships that have resumed sailing simply seal off entire decks.  Makes logically sense in that it saves the crew from having to continually clean the hallways. 

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

2 minutes ago, Argo. said:

You are assuming this knowledge is known but being kept secret.  Given the 40 page laundry list of details that still have to be worked out, how likely is it that marketing has had a chance to cost out the answer?

9 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

All-inclusive might be a good idea for the post-Covid environment.  The crew will have lots of new duties because of the Covid regs.  If all passengers have free drinks, that saves time charging for individual drinks.  If all passengers have prepaid gratuities that spares crew worries about passengers getting angry over rule enforcement and cancelling their tips, and saves time at the front desk.  Internet is no longer the luxury it once was and bandwidth has been increased, so might as well include it for everybody.  Yes it will increase the prices, but this should help make Inside cabins 'break even' rather than loss leaders.

Drinks, if you have the drink "perk" they still give you a receipt to sign with the option to apply additional gratuities.  That process may change yet I'd imagine you have to perform some action, perhaps on your phone to "confirm" the drink.

Internet, they really need to increase the bandwidth if they're opening free for all.  Also, if they're installing new tech/protocols and allowing you to perform actions on your phone, that will bog down the internet.  MSC is doing QR codes for the menus, you need the internet to view the menu.

6 hours ago, Argo. said:

If it's anything I've come to realize over the last few years: if someone says it's fake  news, it will be the gospel truth.😉

We have found the opposite to be true, "Argo."  If the charge of "fake news" is made, some quick checking almost always results in the "news" having been determined to be fake indeed.  That is because the generators of fake news are almost always people on the same part of the "spectrum" (folks with non-functioning consciences, who believe that it is OK to lie [even under oath] and to perpetrate other nefarious acts too).

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Also, if they're installing new tech/protocols and allowing you to perform actions on your phone, that will bog down the internet.  MSC is doing QR codes for the menus, you need the internet to view the menu.

No, that uses the intranet.  You can do it without even having an internet package.

• Thanks 1