Jump to content

Australia 2021 season. Open request to RCI...


Recommended Posts

OK RCI...we know you are going to cancel what is left of the Australia season...please..please make the announcement official and be done with it!!   Sister Celebrity is already canceled...so what's the hold up?  I have way too many FCC vouchers I can't use already.   I want refunds on my deposits.  Own up to it and be responsible...please!!  

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

They could open to Australian citizens only.

 

Yes, small chance could happen..for them, but from what I have heard and pulled up on the country's website..even the residents are not allowed to travel to some parts of the country.     

 

But what about the rest of us that cannot even travel to Australia/NZ due to restrictions?  Only fair we get refunded on our deposits for cruises that cannot happen for us.  And RCI knows it.  

 

Why only Celebrity that has cancelled the season...(same company)?  

Edited by island lady
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

 

Yes, could happen..for them.     But what about the rest of us that cannot even travel to Australia/NZ due to restrictions?  Only fair we get refunded on our deposits for cruises that cannot happen for us.  And RCI knows it.  

 

Why only Celebrity that has cancelled the season...(same company)?  

I feel the same issue is going to affect lots of non US Citizens once cruising resumes in the US.

 

No reason to think that all brands (separate companies) under RCG would have the same policies...those under carnival certainly don't.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I feel the same issue is going to affect lots of non US Citizens once cruising resumes in the US.

 

No reason to think that all brands (separate companies) under RCG would have the same policies...those under carnival certainly don't.

 

That's true.  At least Celebrity is doing the right thing, that was obvious to them.  

 

IMHO...I don't think there is anyone that actually believes there will be an early 2021 RCI Australia season.  I sure don't see any movement on the ships moving on down that way by January.  

Edited by island lady
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

They could open to Australian citizens only.

 

They could but it's not going to happen.  There is one small company talking about starting up, in Queensland I think, but it's a small company / ship with less than 100 pax.

There is no appetite for cruising down here.  There was a 2hr television special on cruising in general and C19 on Sunday night and it didn't show the industry in a favourable light obviously : (

 

To be fair to RCI, the Aus Govt only has the cruise ship ban in place until Dec 17 so they did go further than that and cancelled till December 31, but I agree - they KNOW it's not going to be happening for the next 12mths down here.

 

I fully understand where you're coming from though.  The uncertainty is so frustrating.  I'm just finishing up finalising return of my NRD deposit (already received back) and fare refund (paid by direct deposit, rang them today and gave bank account details for balance to be returned).  This was on a cruise I transferred to a short 3 nighter in November that I knew wouldn't be sailing to get my NRD back.

20/21 is done and dusted here.  I have made a couple of bookings for next season - TP from Hon - Syd next September and a NZ cruise out of Sydney in Jan '22.  I'm hopeful but in no way confident.

 

I hope you get a confirmation soon so you can start to sort your refunds.

 

I agree, it would be great if RCI could give people some certainty and just call it for this season.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, island lady said:

 

That's true.  At least Celebrity is doing the right thing, that was obvious to them.  

 

IMHO...I don't think there is anyone that actually believes there will be an early 2021 RCI Australia season.  I sure don't see any movement on the ships moving on down that way by January.  

They are sticking with the same game plan they have used from the start. A couple months at a time...after final payment. Don't think they will change now unfortunately 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BecAus said:

 

They could but it's not going to happen.  There is one small company talking about starting up, in Queensland I think, but it's a small company / ship with less than 100 pax.

There is no appetite for cruising down here.  There was a 2hr television special on cruising in general and C19 on Sunday night and it didn't show the industry in a favourable light obviously : (

 

To be fair to RCI, the Aus Govt only has the cruise ship ban in place until Dec 17 so they did go further than that and cancelled till December 31, but I agree - they KNOW it's not going to be happening for the next 12mths down here.

 

I fully understand where you're coming from though.  The uncertainty is so frustrating.  I'm just finishing up finalising return of my NRD deposit (already received back) and fare refund (paid by direct deposit, rang them today and gave bank account details for balance to be returned).  This was on a cruise I transferred to a short 3 nighter in November that I knew wouldn't be sailing to get my NRD back.

20/21 is done and dusted here.  I have made a couple of bookings for next season - TP from Hon - Syd next September and a NZ cruise out of Sydney in Jan '22.  I'm hopeful but in no way confident.

 

I hope you get a confirmation soon so you can start to sort your refunds.

 

I agree, it would be great if RCI could give people some certainty and just call it for this season.

 

Thanks...totally agree.   I am assuming your are from Australia?  Hope your draught has not continued.  Those were some bad fires...so sad.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They are sticking with the same game plan they have used from the start. A couple months at a time...after final payment. Don't think they will change now unfortunately 

 

Ugg...that is what I am afraid of also.  I have 8 legs booked starting with 2/10/21.  Assuming there is a chance I may be stuck for the first couple of finals...but I doubt it will go much past that.  I want refunds...not currently worthless FCC vouchers.  😞  Once the first one gets cancelled...they will all fall like Dominos.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, we're doing ok here thanks.   Like a lot of places we've had some terrible things going on, mainly on the East Coast I think.  Obviously we are about to go into our next Summer season so fingers crossed.

We are on the West Coast so things are pretty good here.  We have no C19 other than overseas acquired cases who are in hotel quarantine.  Melbourne looks to have their outbreak under control finally.

 

What is currently a problem is commercial shipping (livestock, iron ore ships etc..) that are arriving with C19 cases which may not bode well for the start up of cruising.  I think it is 4 ships in the last f/n that have arrived with crew (sometimes most of the crew) infected with the virus.   They are controlling it carefully at this stage and treating on ship or transferring to hotel quarantine or hospital as needed but it is going to do absolutely nothing for the possibility of passenger cruises starting up again whilst that is occurring unfortunately.

 

Stay safe x

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BecAus said:

Yes, we're doing ok here thanks.   Like a lot of places we've had some terrible things going on, mainly on the East Coast I think.  Obviously we are about to go into our next Summer season so fingers crossed.

We are on the West Coast so things are pretty good here.  We have no C19 other than overseas acquired cases who are in hotel quarantine.  Melbourne looks to have their outbreak under control finally.

 

What is currently a problem is commercial shipping (livestock, iron ore ships etc..) that are arriving with C19 cases which may not bode well for the start up of cruising.  I think it is 4 ships in the last f/n that have arrived with crew (sometimes most of the crew) infected with the virus.   They are controlling it carefully at this stage and treating on ship or transferring to hotel quarantine or hospital as needed but it is going to do absolutely nothing for the possibility of passenger cruises starting up again whilst that is occurring unfortunately.

 

Stay safe x

 

Ouch...happy to hear you are doing well though.  Very sad for all concerned.  

 

With your shipping information (and thanks also for that)...pretty much spells it out for cruising in Australia I should think.  

 

Stay safe as well...hope to return some day soon to normal lives again for all us.  🙂 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, island lady said:

 

Yes, small chance could happen..for them, but from what I have heard and pulled up on the country's website..even the residents are not allowed to travel to some parts of the country.     

 

But what about the rest of us that cannot even travel to Australia/NZ due to restrictions?  Only fair we get refunded on our deposits for cruises that cannot happen for us.  And RCI knows it.  

 

Why only Celebrity that has cancelled the season...(same company)?  

 

Different markets, different itineraries. Celebrity has more international passengers, and longer itineraries so fewer cruises to operate, and ships come all the way from the US which is lengthy so it made sense to cancel as was no longer economic.

 

RCL operates shorter itineraries with more flexibliity, and more local passengers, and also ships are closer by, out of Asia, so it's still viable - in fact, that happened at the start of the pandemic with cruise ships redirected here from Asia for short itineraries. Also, there have been successful sailiings already in Asia with a new local model. So in RCL's view it's still an option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

 

Different markets, different itineraries. Celebrity has more international passengers, and longer itineraries so fewer cruises to operate, and ships come all the way from the US which is lengthy so it made sense to cancel as was no longer economic.

 

RCL operates shorter itineraries with more flexibliity, and more local passengers, and also ships are closer by, out of Asia, so it's still viable - in fact, that happened at the start of the pandemic with cruise ships redirected here from Asia for short itineraries. Also, there have been successful sailiings already in Asia with a new local model. So in RCL's view it's still an option.

 

Good to know...hope you all get to cruise down there soon!  🙂 

 

Alas...I very much doubt any international passengers will be allowed into your country.  Thus, I wish RCI would simply admit to that fact and refund the deposits that international passengers have tied up, that won't be allowed down there to embark. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

 

Different markets, different itineraries. Celebrity has more international passengers, and longer itineraries so fewer cruises to operate, and ships come all the way from the US which is lengthy so it made sense to cancel as was no longer economic.

 

RCL operates shorter itineraries with more flexibliity, and more local passengers, and also ships are closer by, out of Asia, so it's still viable - in fact, that happened at the start of the pandemic with cruise ships redirected here from Asia for short itineraries. Also, there have been successful sailiings already in Asia with a new local model. So in RCL's view it's still an option.

 

By that measure Royal should at least cancel their circumnavigation of 16days Top End + 18days Bottom End this coming Feb/March or at least cancel it to non Aussie people.

Edited by zalusky
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, zalusky said:

 

By that measure Royal should at least cancel their circumnavigation of 16days Top End + 18days Bottom End this coming Feb/March or at least cancel it to non Aussie people.

 

Totally agree.  I am also on the short 5 night to Tasmania just before the top and bottom end longer cruises.  Certainly not interested in flying down there for the short cruise when I can't do the longer ones that follow directly after.  RCI really just needs to cancel what is left of the 2020/2021 season.  It's already been cut short as it is.  

 

And there is no way Australia is going to open their arms for me to come down there from the U.S. anyway.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have been told by the West Australian premier that WA probably won’t be open until after our state election in March. Therefore Royal should at least cancel the Top and Bottom cruises as they can’t stop in Perth. We were looking forward to this cruise as we have never had the chance to disembark in our home port before. Our final payment is due early December so hopefully we know how things stand by then.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/21/2020 at 10:15 PM, The_Big_M said:

 

RCL operates shorter itineraries with more flexibliity, and more local passengers, and also ships are closer by, out of Asia, so it's still viable - in fact, that happened at the start of the pandemic with cruise ships redirected here from Asia for short itineraries. Also, there have been successful sailiings already in Asia with a new local model. So in RCL's view it's still an option.

 

BTW...in my case our cruise is scheduled for Sydney embarkation on Serenade.  Which was to do the 2020/2021 season, but cancelled sailings until at least December 30th 2020.  

 

Serenade is NOT in Asia.  It is in the south Caribbean.  Not likely in the span of just 2 months that the ship will be able to interview, hire, train and bring on new crew, not to mention fuel and total restock.  Has to go from "warm layup" to "hot layup".  This all has to happen in just 2 months, with a whole lot of water to cover with it being half way around the world from Sydney.  Do you really think that will happen by January 1st?  I am quite sure RCI knows that as well, so I wish they would just make the official announcement and be done with it...IMHO.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, benjoon said:

We have been told by the West Australian premier that WA probably won’t be open until after our state election in March. Therefore Royal should at least cancel the Top and Bottom cruises as they can’t stop in Perth. We were looking forward to this cruise as we have never had the chance to disembark in our home port before. Our final payment is due early December so hopefully we know how things stand by then.

 

 

I totally agree, and IMHO...I am sure RCI knows the cruises will be cancelled as well.  Just frustrating they are making us wait.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2020 at 12:41 AM, island lady said:

 

BTW...in my case our cruise is scheduled for Sydney embarkation on Serenade.  Which was to do the 2020/2021 season, but cancelled sailings until at least December 30th 2020.  

 

Serenade is NOT in Asia.  It is in the south Caribbean.  Not likely in the span of just 2 months that the ship will be able to interview, hire, train and bring on new crew, not to mention fuel and total restock.  Has to go from "warm layup" to "hot layup".  This all has to happen in just 2 months, with a whole lot of water to cover with it being half way around the world from Sydney.  Do you really think that will happen by January 1st?  I am quite sure RCI knows that as well, so I wish they would just make the official announcement and be done with it...IMHO.   

 

If RCL got clearance to restart operations here, whether by Jan or Feb, the fact Serenade is in the Caribbean wouldn't be an impediment to them operating the cruises. 

 

They'd just pull one of their other ships out of Asia and replace itineraries with her.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

They'd just pull one of their other ships out of Asia and replace itineraries with her.

 

And why would you think that they'd do that? Most of Australian based RCL ships traverse from the Americas ie. Serenade, Radiance, Ovation etc. It's more likely that they would prep and plan all the logistics beforehand in order to arrive in time for the new assumed restart date of cruising. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

 

If RCL got clearance to restart operations here, whether by Jan or Feb, the fact Serenade is in the Caribbean wouldn't be an impediment to them operating the cruises. 

 

They'd just pull one of their other ships out of Asia and replace itineraries with her.

 

That's fine...but that also means that my Serenade cruise is cancelled.  Just need RCI to officially tell me so.  

 

Trying to get anything up and running in just 2 months....I don't think there is a chance that will happen. 

 

Plus, for me....Australia is not going to welcome pax from the U.S by January/February...even if they do pull that rabbit out of a hat and try to salvage what is left of the cruise season.  

 

I am sick of being strung along.    

 

 

Edited by island lady
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Ethanol95 said:

 

And why would you think that they'd do that? Most of Australian based RCL ships traverse from the Americas ie. Serenade, Radiance, Ovation etc. It's more likely that they would prep and plan all the logistics beforehand in order to arrive in time for the new assumed restart date of cruising. 

 

In normally scheduled times sure. But no business is going to let a revenue opportunity slip by as it's not in line with their goals and as required by their shareholders.

 

And as said earlier, there's even recent evidence of that when RCL ships were deployed from Asia to Australia as Covid ramped up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...