Will HAL follow Princess' and RCI's

DFWGUYZ

The benefit is more to the cruise line than the wearer.  They'll know where you are at most times, or at least where your bracelet/pendant is.  Of course, locating a lost loved one is nice.  Contact tracing can be done.  Instead of a key card, this will open your door, charge your room for an item purchased.  Logging off/on the ship is done through a reader rather than a scanner.  And, possibly, less lost bracelets/pendants than key cards.  Makes sense to me.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, 0bnxshs said:

The benefit is more to the cruise line than the wearer.  They'll know where you are at most times, or at least where your bracelet/pendant is.  Of course, locating a lost loved one is nice.  Contact tracing can be done.  Instead of a key card, this will open your door, charge your room for an item purchased.  Logging off/on the ship is done through a reader rather than a scanner.  And, possibly, less lost bracelets/pendants than key cards.  Makes sense to me.

Thanks for elaborating on the benefits.  Much appreciated.  I’ve never lost a key card but I am fussy on my jewelry and bracelets - LOL 😉  I would be concerned as being spotted in ports with such a bracelet as a tourist.  It’s sort of like wearing a lanyard in port?  

Time will tell I guess.

• Like 1

Disney has been using this same tech, Magicbands, for over 7 years now with millions having used it with no issue or hospital gown needed (and Disney doesn't so much as sneeze without examining how it will effect their bottom line, people spend more $$ with Magicbands). You can do anything with them in the parks and resorts from park tickets, opening your room door, paying for purchases/food/drinks, getting photos taken, entering attractions for timed passes, etc. We loved it as it made one (or many) less thing (card/s in pocket or lanyard) to keep up with and exchanged it for a bracelet that just stays on your wrist, is water proof, and in true Disney fashion is even customizable.

Tech upgrades are welcome to us. Using QR codes for hands free easy menus, ordering drinks from your own phone via in house app to be sent to your numbered table anywhere on the ship even (that would be nice change rather than hunting and hoping for waitstaff), and personal devices for in cabin interface for almost everything at least to me is a safe, convenient, and logical change. But this doesn't mean paper menus or in person service will be gone.

• Like 7

I was going to also use Disney as an example of how successful their magic bands have been.  RCI's is basically the same.  It's the room key and on board credit card.  They're waterproof so you don't need to remove it in the pool, etc.  They're actually very convenient.

They're not mandatory on RCI.  You can still opt for the key card if you prefer.  I would assume that if HAL goes to these, they'll also provide it as an option.  However, this is HAL.  They're just now starting to figure out how to make an interactive tv work....a technology that's been on RCI for over 20 years.  So I wouldn't count on wristbands any time soon.

And trust me.....people in ports already know who the cruise people are. 

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I was going to also use Disney as an example of how successful their magic bands have been.  RCI's is basically the same.  It's the room key and on board credit card.  They're waterproof so you don't need to remove it in the pool, etc.  They're actually very convenient.

They're not mandatory on RCI.  You can still opt for the key card if you prefer.  I would assume that if HAL goes to these, they'll also provide it as an option.  However, this is HAL.  They're just now starting to figure out how to make an interactive tv work....a technology that's been on RCI for over 20 years.  So I wouldn't count on it wristbands any time soon.

True.

Having never cruised prior to universal ship card technology, were people very averse to that simple and convenient change too? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JimnKaren said:

I don't own and hand-held device. I don't intend to own one.

If HAL provides some sort of 'wrist band' then I will wear it on my ankle.

Jim

So we'll be able to ID you when we see someone waving their foot at their cable door.... 😁 Just kidding....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Many times that is true, but I have managed to fool a number of them when I speak French in a very convincing accent..... then they are not quite sure.  Some have even asked.

RFID bands are the sort of thing you need to try in order to realize how nice they are. I’ve worn them several times at Disney and twice on RCCL. After getting used to them, I dislike going back to carrying a key card on other lines. I’d love to see all modern lines offer these. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Yes, probably, but there are travellers and there are tourists.  In certain ports we count ourselves as one of the former and I’ve many a nice chat with locals as has DH.

The locals do know the difference 😉. We’ve even fooled some a few of the times. 😄 

• Like 2

Princess calls theirs the Medallion. I carried it in my pocket on the Royal Princess as I am not big on wearing IDs around my neck or as a bracelet. Before the COVID, it was not available on all ships - who knows about the future. I liked it because as you got to your cabin door, it unlocked and you could turn the handle and go in.

One rather perplexing situation, was once I returned to my cabin, and the steward said - you were in Sabatinis and then on deck 16. So your steward will always know where you are. Big Brother is watching etc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Princess calls theirs the Medallion. I carried it in my pocket on the Royal Princess as I am not big on wearing IDs around my neck or as a bracelet. Before the COVID, it was not available on all ships - who knows about the future. I liked it because as you got to your cabin door, it unlocked and you could turn the handle and go in.

One rather perplexing situation, was once I returned to my cabin, and the steward said - you were in Sabatinis and then on deck 16. So your steward will always know where you are. Big Brother is watching etc.

I can only think of the positives, knowing where your guests are would better expedite services for the Stewards. No interruptions while in the cabin. Efficient time management for the Stewards.  

• Like 2