Odyssey sailing from Southampton *new*

28 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

5 hour time difference from US to UK  and jet lag is a downer for a 3 day cruise.

Living in the UK makes it interesting for me.

It is actually my bucket list dream to fly to NY for the day.... earliest flight gets you in around 11a. Cab into town. Early lunch. Afternoon matinee on Broadway, shopping, dinner then back to JFK for the 11p flight home!!! 
Simples. 

28 minutes ago, little britain said:

It is actually my bucket list dream to fly to NY for the day.... earliest flight gets you in around 11a. Cab into town. Early lunch. Afternoon matinee on Broadway, shopping, dinner then back to JFK for the 11p flight home!!! 
Simples. 

Concorde was ideal for doing that.

Good luck for that but not for us.

Over 30 visits to the US since 1992 doesn't make jetlag any easier to cope with.

Graham.

55 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Concorde was ideal for doing that.

Good luck for that but not for us.

Over 30 visits to the US since 1992 doesn't make jetlag any easier to cope with.

Graham.

Totally agree and yes Concorde was the only way to go to New York for a short stay.

Three nights in New York with the flying involved nowadays is the minimum I’d consider.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, heatherbelle said:

currently anyone arriving from most overseas countries including the US has to quarantine here in the U.K. for 14 days on arrival.  You are not allowed out of your house/hotel even for food shopping.

I cannot see the situation being any different in April as it is now.

I really hope you're wrong and the UK government sorts out some way of testing that will allow that time to be greatly reduced.

My daughter has had to quarantine after paying us a quick visit here in Portugal at the start of this month. Tomorrow is the last day and it can't come a moment too soon. She's really struggled with it. 😞

• Like 1

9 hours ago, little britain said:

Simples. 

I hope you get to go but a shopping trip to NY for 1 or 3 days does not appeal

10 minutes ago, jules27556 said:

According to RCCL website, Odyssey cruises cancelled including April 17th sailing.

Flying to Rome a week prior to April 30th 9 day cruise.

Will only go if I have been vaccinated and of course if US citizens can enter.

Fingers crossed!

Just had an email from a U.K. TA 17/4 cruise is listed as being available.

21 hours ago, little britain said:

Simples. 

In our youth, hubby got a job interview in Ontario. Flew out from UK one day, up all night catching up with his best friend. Day long Interview next day and flew back that night. He got the job offer, but we ended up not going. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, heatherbelle said:

Just had an email from a U.K. TA 17/4 cruise is listed as being available.

Hello,

Yes, the RCI website does say Odyssey cancelled to 17th April - but that was the 'old' sailings' schedule. These cruises are new and in typical RCI IT fashion, the website is at least two versions out of date.

Perhaps not definitive but at least suggestive, Southampton cruise parking has listed this sailing.

Regards,

Cublet

11 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Yes, the RCI website does say Odyssey cancelled to 17th April - but that was the 'old' sailings' schedule. These cruises are new and in typical RCI IT fashion, the website is at least two versions out of date.

Perhaps not definitive but at least suggestive, Southampton cruise parking has listed this sailing.

Regards,

Cublet

Have you booked one of these cruises??

Booked the 3 day!!  Am happy with the restrictions on board as its no different to land at present. School, work, leisure - all changed.  I actually feel more reassured that there will be protocols for all passengers and crew before embarking.  (Thanks again to Little Britain.  I now only book via a US travel agent and saved £120 compared to the UK site.  Plus we got $50 onboard spend, which is not even offered by the UK!!).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, panamapd said:

Booked the 3 day!!  Am happy with the restrictions on board as its no different to land at present. School, work, leisure - all changed.  I actually feel more reassured that there will be protocols for all passengers and crew before embarking.  (Thanks again to Little Britain.  I now only book via a US travel agent and saved £120 compared to the UK site.  Plus we got $50 onboard spend, which is not even offered by the UK!!).

We also usually book via a USA travel agent.

18 hours ago, little britain said:

Have you booked one of these cruises??

Hello,

Yes the three night, first thing Friday morning.

I know I posted it somewhere but I said a JS was cheaper than a balcony.

Regards,

Cublet

16 hours ago, panamapd said:

can I ask who you managed to get travel insurance with.  My company won’t cover me whilst the U.K. government say we can’t cruise.

12 minutes ago, heatherbelle said:

can I ask who you managed to get travel insurance with.  My company won’t cover me whilst the U.K. government say we can’t cruise.

No UK insurance company covers cruises whilst the FCO say “no go” but for us,  it is worth taking a chance with the view that we cannot keep living like mice in a cotton wool padded cage any longer and life must return to normal soon.

And I don’t think RCI would put their new flagship shiny new cruise ship on sale if they didn’t have insider knowledge that it would be a go and that the FCO guidelines will change.

JMHO.

Edited by little britain