Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Nothing specific enough where we can so oh they always serve X on that night. The chef could choose to pick some of the more fancier options for that night, but it's no guarantee and I don't particularly remember that being so. There's more than 7 menus they can rotate through so on a normal 7 day cruise there's always options that someone never sees. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

norwegian's policy is "FREESTYLE" there is no dress up night.  if youre too dressed up you may feel really awkward and out of place as i'm sure most of the other diners will be casual. if we're in the same mdr, i'll be in jeans and tennis shoes. Consequently, there is no special menu  per se. ive been on 18 ncl cruises in the past 10 years and never saw a special menu, unless you end up at dinner with the officers (and even then i'm not really sure the menu changes.  We're platinum+ and one of the perks is dinner with the officers, to me its no big deal, and if i need to dress up for dinner, i will definitely pass this golden opportunity.

however, there is a dress up or not where you can have a really nice photo taken

i wear a suit and tie 4 days per week, on vacation, no way!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, complawyer said:

norwegian's policy is "FREESTYLE" there is no dress up night. 

For years there's been a night known variously as "Dress Up or Not Night", "Norwegian's Night Out" and maybe another name or two that I've forgotten. It's also the night the captain will pose for pictures with the passengers. Normally it's the second night of the cruise...the night of the first full cruise day. 

 

There are still a fair number of passengers who get dressed up that night, particularly if they're having photos taken.

 

To answer  the OP's question, there's no special dining room menu that night, but the night definitely exists, and it's still mentioned in the ncl.com FAQs:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#!#what-clothes-should-i-pack

"Special Events: Theme Nights and Parties

Our newest event, Norwegian's Night Out, is the perfect opportunity to get dressed up for an evening of cocktails, fine dining and great entertainment. You may also want to pack an all-white ensemble for our iconic White Hot Party."

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2020 at 8:38 PM, complawyer said:

if youre too dressed up you may feel really awkward and out of place as i'm sure most of the other diners will be casual.

Totally disagree. There are folks that like to dress up and look decent (not be underdressed with tennis shoes and a t-shirt) when going to a restaurant. You most certainly would not feel awkward if you dressed your best. 

 

As for the menu, there is no special menu (e.g., lobster). NCL has a standard set of 14 menus that they rotate through at the discretion of the executive chef onboard. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

specifically to bird travels: i respect your right to disagree, that being said , however, i think one of the main selling points of a norwegian cruise is the freestyle dining. i believe if you were to check the mdr you will find that most of the guests are casually dressed and very few are in a suit and tie (or a women in a dress or fancy outfit) i didnt mean to imply that im in the restaurant in a jockey t shirt, it's either a collared short sleeve of a short sleeve t. the jeans are always designer type. i dont  go in looking slovenly, but i do want a casual vacation and not to have to get dressed up. in my first few cruises, back in the 80's i would pack a suit for each night (7) and my tux.  for better or worse, those days are dead and gone.

 

but to each his own. i think if a man shows up for dinner in a tux, and a woman in a gown, they will in fact feel overdressed.im not excited nor do i have any desire to have my picture taken with the captain.

 

in any even, i hope this blows over soon so we call all get back to cruising, and if we ever find each other on the same cruise, the drinks are on me

 

stay safe

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2020 at 6:17 PM, reeinaz said:

Is there a special menu in the MDR for dress up or not night like how Carnival has on their formal night?

The special on this night is usually spaghetti and meatballs with and extra side of sauce.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Totally disagree. There are folks that like to dress up and look decent (not be underdressed with tennis shoes and a t-shirt) when going to a restaurant. You most certainly would not feel awkward if you dressed your best. 

And then I'm somewhat in the middle.  I bring some button-downs and polos for dinner, even for the MDR venues.  Though on my last cruise I think I wore jeans at the MDRs and brought khakis for the specialty venues..

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Trimone said:

Manhattan? 

Yes, Manhattan on the BA/BA plus ships, however, the smaller ships, it's the aft MDR but it's only "more formal" not really formal. Even le Bistro is only More formal not really formal.  If DH and I were celebrating a special occasion, we'd dress up, not totally formal, no tux for him but evening gown for me... only b/c I loved wearing it. 

No one should feel embarrassed or centred-out b/c of their garb.  I'm pretty sure the staff finds it very nice when a couple arrives for dinner in evening/formal wear.  

 

That doesn't mean that  formal wear is necessary, however, it is very much acceptable. 

I wouldn't hesitate to dress in formal wear for dinner on any cruise line, including NCL. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2020 at 2:38 AM, complawyer said:

norwegian's policy is "FREESTYLE" there is no dress up night.

 

From the beginning Freestyle was not about not having to dress up. When Freestyle started they had formal nights.

 

We like the Freestyle for two reasons:

 

1. We choose who to eat with.

2. We choose when to eat.

 

We like to dress up for some nights on a cruise. We are not really bothered if other choose not to dress up but it's nice when most of the passengers dress up some nights.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I have the "CAPTAIN'S GALA MENU" from our first cruise on the Norwegian Wind 2004. I don't remember what I ate but some of the things they had was: 

 

Timbale of Smoked Sturgeon with Caviar.  

 

The Gala Salad.

 

Linguini alla Vongole.

 

Crisp Crouton-Crusted Grouper with Toasted Almonds. 

 

Fillet of Beef Tenderloin "Wellington".

 

"Arlette" of Fresh Strawberries.

 

Peach "Baba" with White Chocolate Mousse.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2020 at 8:34 AM, Sweetnspicy said:

Only at Le Bistro! 

Shorts are allowed in all restaurants for all meals except in Le Bistro and one other restaurant.
 

On small ships and the Epic, gents are asked to wear long pants (dockers or jeans) in Le Bistro and the aft main dining room.

 

On Breakaway [Plus] ships, it is Le Bistro and Ocean Blue/Bayamo. on the Breakaway, they have tried long pants in the Manhattan Room from time to time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Shorts are allowed in all restaurants for all meals except in Le Bistro and one other restaurant.
 

On small ships and the Epic, gents are asked to wear long pants (dockers or jeans) in Le Bistro and the aft main dining room.

 

On Breakaway [Plus] ships, it is Le Bistro and Ocean Blue/Bayamo. on the Breakaway, they have tried long pants in the Manhattan Room from time to time. 

Whether they've required long pants in a dining room other than Le Bistro has varied from ship to ship, itinerary to itinerary and year to year.

 

We've been on cruises on the Gem where shorts were permitted in the aft dining room, leaving only Le Bistro requiring long pants and then on other cruises on the same ship where pants have been required in Grand Pacific in addition to Le Bistro. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2020 at 7:29 PM, FranknBeans said:

The special on this night is usually spaghetti and meatballs with and extra side of sauce.

Which is particularly suited for a white dinner jacket (tuxedo) and dress shirt!  Especially after a modest cocktail or three before dinner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2020 at 11:19 PM, BirdTravels said:

Totally disagree. There are folks that like to dress up and look decent (not be underdressed with tennis shoes and a t-shirt) when going to a restaurant. You most certainly would not feel awkward if you dressed your best. 

 

On 10/23/2020 at 12:03 AM, complawyer said:

specifically to bird travels: i respect your right to disagree, that being said , however, i think one of the main selling points of a norwegian cruise is the freestyle dining. i believe if you were to check the mdr you will find that most of the guests are casually dressed and very few are in a suit and tie (or a women in a dress or fancy outfit) 

<snip>

but to each his own. i think if a man shows up for dinner in a tux, and a woman in a gown, they will in fact feel overdressed.

I think the point of freestyle is to wear what you want (within the guidelines).  I see people dressed nice and wish to myself that I'd brought a suit so I could do one night "out" so to speak.  But, packing all I need in a carry-on is more to my liking, so, the suit stays home.

I'm with Bird on this one, I can't imagine why anyone would care about anyone being dressed in a suit or even a tux.  But, this really is a personal thing - if you are the self conscious type, I suppose you might have some sort of self conscious feeling related to being dressed nicer than most others around you.  But I think for most people that want to dress up, it just wouldn't matter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

 

I think the point of freestyle is to wear what you want (within the guidelines).  I see people dressed nice and wish to myself that I'd brought a suit so I could do one night "out" so to speak.  But, packing all I need in a carry-on is more to my liking, so, the suit stays home.

I'm with Bird on this one, I can't imagine why anyone would care about anyone being dressed in a suit or even a tux.  But, this really is a personal thing - if you are the self conscious type, I suppose you might have some sort of self conscious feeling related to being dressed nicer than most others around you.  But I think for most people that want to dress up, it just wouldn't matter.

Dress Up Or Not Night

 

IMG_1243.JPG

Edited by GA Dave
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2020 at 11:19 PM, BirdTravels said:

Totally disagree. There are folks that like to dress up and look decent (not be underdressed with tennis shoes and a t-shirt) when going to a restaurant. You most certainly would not feel awkward if you dressed your best. 

 

As for the menu, there is no special menu (e.g., lobster). NCL has a standard set of 14 menus that they rotate through at the discretion of the executive chef onboard. 

Agree, BT...I grew up with the saying, "always better to be over dressed than not"

 

That said, Happy Travels to all, hopefully sooner than later...and to the OP, unless NCL changes things up, they always had NCL Night Out something like that mentioned by others, lots of picture taking, no pressure to do so, if it's not your thing, keep on walking.  I go through spells with it on different cruises.....

Edited by PTC DAWG
Link to post
Share on other sites

very poor lighting, the photographer should be ashamed of himself/herself, and did they actually charge for this picture, as to my prior post regarding formal nights/dress up. ok bird travels, you win. there is absolutely nothing wrong with people dressing to the 9's for a night or two out in either the mdr or one of the specialty restaurants.

 

personally however, i prefer casual. again, if we ever find  ourselves on the same ship, the drinks are on me.

 

i concede defeat

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, complawyer said:

very poor lighting, the photographer should be ashamed of himself/herself, and did they actually charge for this picture, as to my prior post regarding formal nights/dress up.

No, I did not pay for it.  It was taken by another senior crew member using my i-phone, and I had forgotten to turn the automatic flash feature on.  This was at the Captain's cocktail party, which was held in the old Fat Cats Jazz & Blues Club on the Getaway, which has been replaced by Sid Norman's.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...