Jump to content

UK Gov set to ease measures


Recommended Posts

Everyone will have their own view on whether to restart cruising however I'm hearing some encouraging talk that the UK Government is set to ease the FCO travel advice on cruising. A number of factors have played into this:

 

  • UK Gov have watched other countries restart
  • The current outbreak on Costa has been effectively controlled.
  • The Canary islands are set to welcome cruise ships back including those from the UK
  • UK cruise companies have now released their procedures in conjunction with CLIA.
  • Commitment to mandatory testing of everyone on board.
  • The first cruise call was made to Portsmouth this week. This is the first call in 7 months.
  • UK Gov now accept the argument that a cruise ship is no worse than a long-haul aircraft.

 

Public announcement may be a few weeks away but, in the same way that airlines and package holiday companies were briefed in advance about air bridges, I understand cruise companies have/are to be briefed.

 

If this does happen, expect restart to be phased like Costa. Start with cruises to nowhere, extend to UK ports in Tier 1 areas.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Molecrochip

Yay! Southampton is currently in Tier one, but who knows how long that will last? 

I am one of those who would try cruising under the new protocols before I decide if I would like it or not. Not too concerned about mask wearing as I have to wear one at work anyway and I've got used to it. 

I know we all have our own views on this, I guess we just have to do what is right for ourselves

Cathy

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Everyone will have their own view on whether to restart cruising however I'm hearing some encouraging talk that the UK Government is set to ease the FCO travel advice on cruising. A number of factors have played into this:

 

  • UK Gov have watched other countries restart
  • The current outbreak on Costa has been effectively controlled.
  • The Canary islands are set to welcome cruise ships back including those from the UK
  • UK cruise companies have now released their procedures in conjunction with CLIA.
  • Commitment to mandatory testing of everyone on board.
  • The first cruise call was made to Portsmouth this week. This is the first call in 7 months.
  • UK Gov now accept the argument that a cruise ship is no worse than a long-haul aircraft.

 

Public announcement may be a few weeks away but, in the same way that airlines and package holiday companies were briefed in advance about air bridges, I understand cruise companies have/are to be briefed.

 

If this does happen, expect restart to be phased like Costa. Start with cruises to nowhere, extend to UK ports in Tier 1 areas.

Thanks for the update.

I will be watching closely to see how things develop.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My personal view is that I‘m choosing between a holiday or no holiday, i’m not choosing between rules now and rules 12 months ago.

 

if I don’t go on a cruise, I will stay at home, continue day to day life, wear a mask to the shops or appointments, maybe go to a restaurant.

 

People need to remember that the new protocols are a first implementation. They will change over time. Some like pre boating testing may hang around. Others like bubbled trips may be eased based on destination and current local incidence of the virus.

 

I understand some people will want to wait for a couple of years and that’s ok.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cathygh said:

Thanks Molecrochip

Yay! Southampton is currently in Tier one, but who knows how long that will last? 

I am one of those who would try cruising under the new protocols before I decide if I would like it or not. Not too concerned about mask wearing as I have to wear one at work anyway and I've got used to it. 

I know we all have our own views on this, I guess we just have to do what is right for ourselves

Cathy

 

I am in agreement.

 

We too are in Tier One down here, can they dock at Falmouth?!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have the piece of research at hand but I've posted it previously.

 

Some of the points that sprang to mind were:

  • 12 hours sat amongst a plane full of people compared to 5 minutes walking through the ship. On a plane, in economy, you are in close contact (<2m for 15 mins+) with 30ish people whereas can control this on a cruise ship to avoid close contact.
  • You can escape to your own cabin/balcony on a cruise ship and have access to outside decks which need no artificial ventilation.
  • You sit further apart when unmasked (eating/drinking etc.) on a cruise ship.
  • 99% of air is fresh on a cruise ship compared to 80% every 5 minutes on a plane.
  • It is possible to socially distance on a cruise ship. Its not on a place. That's without considering mask wearing.
  • All cruise ships carry doctors and medical equipment superior to planes.

When I find the research article I will post but it was independently carried out by a university not connected with cruising.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I don't have the piece of research at hand but I've posted it previously.

 

Some of the points that sprang to mind were:

  • 12 hours sat amongst a plane full of people compared to 5 minutes walking through the ship. On a plane, in economy, you are in close contact (<2m for 15 mins+) with 30ish people whereas can control this on a cruise ship to avoid close contact.
  • You can escape to your own cabin/balcony on a cruise ship and have access to outside decks which need no artificial ventilation.
  • You sit further apart when unmasked (eating/drinking etc.) on a cruise ship.
  • 99% of air is fresh on a cruise ship compared to 80% every 5 minutes on a plane.
  • It is possible to socially distance on a cruise ship. Its not on a place. That's without considering mask wearing.
  • All cruise ships carry doctors and medical equipment superior to planes.

When I find the research article I will post but it was independently carried out by a university not connected with cruising.

The question was, where is the proof that the UK government accepted that argument?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

The question was, where is the proof that the UK government accepted that argument?

Sorry, I thought you wanted the long haul flight v cruise proof.

 

I can't give you proof today in the same way that I can't give you proof that the government are changing their stance on cruising because its not been announced to the public but instead is being discussed in the industry. Throughout this whole saga, I've tried to share snippets of information ahead of time that won't get me or anyone else into trouble. It does however mean that I can't always offer up the proof at the same time.... that it doesn't mean its not true.

 

I hope my track record with cancellations, Oceana sale, Iona progress and handover proves that my information is generally reliable.

Edited by molecrochip
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Sorry, I thought you wanted the long haul flight v cruise proof.

 

I can't give you proof today in the same way that I can't give you proof that the government are changing their stance on cruising because its not been announced to the public but instead is being discussed in the industry. Throughout this whole saga, I've tried to share snippets of information ahead of time that won't get me or anyone else into trouble. It does however mean that I can't always offer up the proof at the same time.... that it doesn't mean its not true.

 

I hope my track record with cancellations, Oceana sale, Iona progress and handover proves that my information is generally reliable.

We all know you're a credible source of info. You've proved it enough times. The info you provide just doesn't suit some people's agendas. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Sorry, I thought you wanted the long haul flight v cruise proof.

 

I can't give you proof today in the same way that I can't give you proof that the government are changing their stance on cruising because its not been announced to the public but instead is being discussed in the industry. Throughout this whole saga, I've tried to share snippets of information ahead of time that won't get me or anyone else into trouble. It does however mean that I can't always offer up the proof at the same time.... that it doesn't mean its not true.

 

I hope my track record with cancellations, Oceana sale, Iona progress and handover proves that my information is generally reliable.

Your inside information is appreciated by most on here.

Thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting news.

I thank Molecrochip for giving us these snippets, and have no doubt that this is genuine.

 

My comment would be that it seems very strange timing for the government to be considering lifting the restrictions on cruise ship travel, with the backdrop of sharply rising infections and increasing restrictions on every day life.

 

I can only think that this is a preparation for the spring, when it might be hoped that the situation will be improved. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Interesting news.

I thank Molecrochip for giving us these snippets, and have no doubt that this is genuine.

 

My comment would be that it seems very strange timing for the government to be considering lifting the restrictions on cruise ship travel, with the backdrop of sharply rising infections and increasing restrictions on every day life.

 

I can only think that this is a preparation for the spring, when it might be hoped that the situation will be improved. 

Ready for 6th March 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Sorry, I thought you wanted the long haul flight v cruise proof.

 

I can't give you proof today in the same way that I can't give you proof that the government are changing their stance on cruising because its not been announced to the public but instead is being discussed in the industry. Throughout this whole saga, I've tried to share snippets of information ahead of time that won't get me or anyone else into trouble. It does however mean that I can't always offer up the proof at the same time.... that it doesn't mean its not true.

 

I hope my track record with cancellations, Oceana sale, Iona progress and handover proves that my information is generally reliable.

Thank you, so its all still at the discussion stage, but maybe a little more advanced, not doubting your sincerity, just asking a question.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I don't need to. Molecrochip has explained it for you. Do let me know if I can help you with anything. 

I was going to offer the same advice, until I saw Moley's reply, which was expressed far better than mine would have been, and probably far more politely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Interesting news.

I thank Molecrochip for giving us these snippets, and have no doubt that this is genuine.

 

My comment would be that it seems very strange timing for the government to be considering lifting the restrictions on cruise ship travel, with the backdrop of sharply rising infections and increasing restrictions on every day life.

 

I can only think that this is a preparation for the spring, when it might be hoped that the situation will be improved. 

I think that goes without saying, since they have already cancelled most cruises into March.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

With the numbers absolutely skyrocketing in Spain, France and Italy, not to mention us, I can't see cruising being anything but Cruise to Nowhere.  The numbers today are quite terrifying.

Well, I'm off to Lanzarote next week. Infection rates there are lower than virtually everywhere in the UK, so it will be good to have 3 weeks of safety in the sun!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Well, I'm off to Lanzarote next week. Infection rates there are lower than virtually everywhere in the UK, so it will be good to have 3 weeks of safety in the sun!

Hope you have a fantastic holiday Wowzz.🍺🍺🍺

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Well, I'm off to Lanzarote next week. Infection rates there are lower than virtually everywhere in the UK, so it will be good to have 3 weeks of safety in the sun!

April for us, but if prices don't skyrocket perhaps another trip before that. Maybe a Canaries cruise Christmas time 🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Sorry, I thought you wanted the long haul flight v cruise proof.

 

I can't give you proof today in the same way that I can't give you proof that the government are changing their stance on cruising because its not been announced to the public but instead is being discussed in the industry. Throughout this whole saga, I've tried to share snippets of information ahead of time that won't get me or anyone else into trouble. It does however mean that I can't always offer up the proof at the same time.... that it doesn't mean its not true.

 

I hope my track record with cancellations, Oceana sale, Iona progress and handover proves that my information is generally reliable.

You've proved time and again how reliable your information is, and I am grateful for all the information you can give us. 

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...