Jump to content

UK Gov set to ease measures


Recommended Posts

Not disputing the reliability of the information as the source has proven to be reliable.  That said, I think its a reach for the FCO to use the recent call of SeaDream to Portsmouth as being the  benchmark for UK cruising as let's face it this is like comparing a single passenger in a taxi to a train car jammed end to end.....SeaDream embarked 19 passengers.....19!!!   Not 1000+ but less than 20!!!

 

Lets all just put things into perspective here, which is what I think the FCO need to do as well because its like the old adage of comparing apples and oranges....they might be fruit, and they might be round, but they're dynamically different and until case numbers go down across the UK i think rushing to get the industry started based in part on the fact a handful of well-healed passengers can escape is beyond negligent and careless.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Our friend Moley is a fantastic source of knowledge who is reliable time and time again, but I do feel there is sometimes an understandable, industry led optimism/positivity in some posts. 

We are all worrying about further lockdowns and confusing tiers, but apparently we can go cruising soon? 

Things can change on a sixpence, so I don't doubt the information but I think there is more hope than reality at the moment. 

Andy 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Not disputing the reliability of the information as the source has proven to be reliable.  That said, I think its a reach for the FCO to use the recent call of SeaDream to Portsmouth as being the  benchmark for UK cruising as let's face it this is like comparing a single passenger in a taxi to a train car jammed end to end.....SeaDream embarked 19 passengers.....19!!!   Not 1000+ but less than 20!!!

 

Lets all just put things into perspective here, which is what I think the FCO need to do as well because its like the old adage of comparing apples and oranges....they might be fruit, and they might be round, but they're dynamically different and until case numbers go down across the UK i think rushing to get the industry started based in part on the fact a handful of well-healed passengers can escape is beyond negligent and careless.

 

48 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Our friend Moley is a fantastic source of knowledge who is reliable time and time again, but I do feel there is sometimes an understandable, industry led optimism/positivity in some posts. 

We are all worrying about further lockdowns and confusing tiers, but apparently we can go cruising soon? 

Things can change on a sixpence, so I don't doubt the information but I think there is more hope than reality at the moment. 

Andy 

I don't  believe that anyone is assuming we can go cruising soon, P&O have cancelled until into March, and Moley understands that short trial cruises around the UK will probably be done as testers initially. So it will certainly be late March for these at the earliest, and probably early summer before scheduled cruising restarts. Equally many on here have commented about how long it might take to have all the ships fully crewed, and re-arrange the purchasing of provisions and sort out charter flights for fly cruises. 

Taking all this into account, I don't think that beginning to discuss the relaxation of FCO cruising guidance at this point is far too early, seems to me just about right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I'd be quite happy to do a bit of test driving.

I would be happy to be a cruise tester, but if you don't mind, I would prefer letting the helmsman drive.🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, wowzz said:

Well, I'm off to Lanzarote next week. Infection rates there are lower than virtually everywhere in the UK, so it will be good to have 3 weeks of safety in the sun!

 

Enjoy it Wowzz, it looks lovely over there today ,https://youtu.be/doqBgKIBBh8   We like Lanzarote too .:classic_love:

 

A thank you  to Moley for his  info.  Lets hope it turns from planned info into actual cruises again. :classic_smile:   

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, wowzz said:

Well, I'm off to Lanzarote next week. Infection rates there are lower than virtually everywhere in the UK, so it will be good to have 3 weeks of safety in the sun!

Not wanting to put a damper on your holiday wowzz, but have checked whether you will need to be quarantined when you arrive in Lanzarote?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

We are all worrying about further lockdowns and confusing tiers, but apparently we can go cruising soon?

We all know that there will be no cruises until March 2021 anyway, so P&O must be going through it all now with the government so at relaunch everything will be in place ready to go with no more cancellations or holdups. This might be whats drifting out via moley and I think it's an interesting read.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Not wanting to put a damper on your holiday wowzz, but have checked whether you will need to be quarantined when you arrive in Lanzarote?

I think you only need to fill in a form saying where you are staying. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Not wanting to put a damper on your holiday wowzz, but have checked whether you will need to be quarantined when you arrive in Lanzarote?

Thanks for thinking about me. 

No quarantine required. As just posted, you have to fill in a questionnaire to be scanned on arrival, for trace purposes. 

Edited by wowzz
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Thanks for thinking about me. 

No quarantine required. As just posted, you have to fill in a questionnaire to be scanned on arrival, for trace purposes. 

It all sounds  very straightforward and easy wowzz. I hope both MrsW and yourself have an enjoyable,  and well deserved holiday.

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

It all sounds  very straightforward and easy wowzz. I hope both MrsW and yourself have an enjoyable,  and well deserved holiday.

Avril

 

5 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Have a lovely relaxing time Wowzz

Thanks both,  and everyone else. 

Not sure about 6 hours or so with a mask on, but it will be nice to get some sun, and avoid November, which is a pretty miserable month. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wowzz said:

 

Thanks both,  and everyone else. 

Not sure about 6 hours or so with a mask on, but it will be nice to get some sun, and avoid November, which is a pretty miserable month. 

We are all a bit jealous wowzz. Hope you have a good holiday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Our friend Moley is a fantastic source of knowledge who is reliable time and time again, but I do feel there is sometimes an understandable, industry led optimism/positivity in some posts. 

We are all worrying about further lockdowns and confusing tiers, but apparently we can go cruising soon? 

Things can change on a sixpence, so I don't doubt the information but I think there is more hope than reality at the moment. 

Andy 

Can I say hopeful rather than optimistic!

 

The industry needs some light even if it’s dim. I’m not beyond the thought that it could be one ship a month from Jan to June being restarted. I expect no Big Bang.

 

Its about putting arrangements in place so that if we see the second wave retreating after Christmas, short, low capacity, no stops tester cruises could happen.

 

I remember in April/May when I posted about all being cruising by the end of June - that was the line that they Government we’re giving the cruise lines. I think we all know better now. What it was not was Cruise line spin.

 

If you want cruise live spin, I could post twice as much..... but I won’t!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Can I say hopeful rather than optimistic!

 

The industry needs some light even if it’s dim. I’m not beyond the thought that it could be one ship a month from Jan to June being restarted. I expect no Big Bang.

 

Its about putting arrangements in place so that if we see the second wave retreating after Christmas, short, low capacity, no stops tester cruises could happen.

 

I remember in April/May when I posted about all being cruising by the end of June - that was the line that they Government we’re giving the cruise lines. I think we all know better now. What it was not was Cruise line spin.

 

If you want cruise live spin, I could post twice as much..... but I won’t!

Excellent post.

 

Is it just me, but there is a lot of room between the lines! 

 

Thanks for your insights.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2020 at 10:45 PM, wowzz said:

Well, I'm off to Lanzarote next week. Infection rates there are lower than virtually everywhere in the UK, so it will be good to have 3 weeks of safety in the sun!

 

Enjoy yourself,  we're off to Tenerife,  beginning of November the announcement by  Government was a nice surprise ,  expecting another cancellation.  Just looking forward to getting away to somewhere  different l

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

 

Enjoy yourself,  we're off to Tenerife,  beginning of November the announcement by  Government was a nice surprise ,  expecting another cancellation.  Just looking forward to getting away to somewhere  different l

You too.

Wind and rain hammering down here. Looked at the forecast for the ne t week for Lanza : 25c and sunny. Lovely!

Link to post
Share on other sites

As for the question of cruising. Then a cruise liner should operate to tier one protocols. Rule of six in bars and restaurants,  masks inside. Which is roughly what they are doing.

 

Unless you stop tier 2 and 3 cruising , then pre cruise testing should differ by the tier you live in

 

A minimum 

 

Tier 1 ,  test before you  board. 

 

Tiers 2 and 3 should be encouraged to isolate before the cruise,  they should have a negative test 3 days before they board.  

 

Even better would be to follow the Barbados protocols,  high risk countries have a test within 72hrs before the fly, have to stay in hotel untill a second test 5days after first.

 

A better but more expensive solution would be a series of tests, say a week before you board , 3 days then as you board. Tier 2 and 3  passengers would then be as safe as anyone. Tier 1 say 4 days before you board and as you board.  I'd prefer to cough up for pre cruise testing, and then have fewer restrictions.  Of course you could only visit low risk countrued

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Windsurfboy said:

As for the question of cruising. Then a cruise liner should operate to tier one protocols. Rule of six in bars and restaurants,  masks inside. Which is roughly what they are doing.

 

Unless you stop tier 2 and 3 cruising , then pre cruise testing should differ by the tier you live in

 

A minimum 

 

Tier 1 ,  test before you  board. 

 

Tiers 2 and 3 should be encouraged to isolate before the cruise,  they should have a negative test 3 days before they board.  

 

Even better would be to follow the Barbados protocols,  high risk countries have a test within 72hrs before the fly, have to stay in hotel untill a second test 5days after first.

 

A better but more expensive solution would be a series of tests, say a week before you board , 3 days then as you board. Tier 2 and 3  passengers would then be as safe as anyone. Tier 1 say 4 days before you board and as you board.  I'd prefer to cough up for pre cruise testing, and then have fewer restrictions.  Of course you could only visit low risk countrued

 

We don’t have tiers here in Wales and I think that Scotland have their own system too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2020 at 6:00 PM, molecrochip said:

UK cruise companies have now released their procedures in conjunction with CLIA.

 

Can someone point me to this- all I have read so far has just been conjecture/ wishful thinking from  cruise starved CC members - are these just on board procedures

or does it cover excursions.   Has Princess UK issued something I have missed?

TIA

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

 

Can someone point me to this- all I have read so far has just been conjecture/ wishful thinking from  cruise starved CC members - are these just on board procedures

or does it cover excursions.   Has Princess UK issued something I have missed?

TIA

Here’s P&Os protocols 

 

https://www.pocruises.com/cruise-with-confidence

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thankyou -  based on the wording of that I have searched through Princess

and find snippets scattered throughout but nothing simple to refer to.

Their  main point is that cruises that sail before 30 April can be cancelled

and if in the cancellation charges period the charges will be refunded as FCC.

Whether that actually applies to the UK remains to be seen, though I cant

spot a small print disclaimer anywhere.

Non eof this is applicable as we sail after that so presumably will have to wait

and see if they extend that concession.   

There is nothing about shore visits its as though the idea you might take

a non ship cruise is alien to them.

The Aida guidance is straight forward and easy to find ( apart from it

being in German. ) As these are all carnival I would have  thought each would

have the same wording, I cant see them negotiating separately with the CLIA.

Will just have to wait for developments when/if it gets going properly

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...