UK Gov set to ease measures

molecrochip

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

A canny move by those cruise lines. Everyone leaves the ship before becoming symptomatic, so the cruise line can say “nothing to see here” 😂 On a serious note, we will only know that cruises are Covid safe when 14/21 night cruises return with no outbreaks, as passengers on shorter cruises are unlikely to fall ill until after they have returned home. 

Covid safe doesn't mean that no one will catch covid during a cruise (or anywhere else that's covid secure). It means that measures are in place to reduce risk. 

• Like 2

I see Saga have now cancelled all  cruises until April for Spirit of Discovery,  and until the beginning of May.

Cruising looks pretty uncertain for the first half of 2021!

Sorry for the repeated info. I must type faster!

Edited by wowzz

8 minutes ago, Denarius said:

I note that Saga have today cancelled all sailings before April 2021.

I am not surprised but disappointed as there were a couple of Saga cruises in March that I was considering.I wonder if Fred Olsen will do the same?

On 10/31/2020 at 1:52 PM, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Covid safe doesn't mean that no one will catch covid during a cruise (or anywhere else that's covid secure). It means that measures are in place to reduce risk. 

That's a good point. In the  H&S world you either eliminate the risk, or minimise it. Eliminating Covid most probably won't happen. Minimising the risk is what we will have to learn to live with by adopting the correct procedures. No raves for a while🤔

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Do you know how difficult it is to deliberately spell a word incorrectly with a spell checker? It took me 10 minutes to spell "esy"! 

My spel cheque is turnd of so I nevver make mistacks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Interesting comments from Paul Ludlow on cancellations of cruises in 2021, capacity onboard when cruises do restart and shore excursions 

https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/391642/second-lockdown-could-help-uk-cruise-return-says-po-cruises-chief?fbclid=IwAR1n4Emdebr9HSI9hHa1KX5JSlR_OIL3aIVPV_c5ByihXph0OB9StSEGlQg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Interesting comments from Paul Ludlow on cancellations of cruises in 2021, capacity onboard when cruises do restart and shore excursions 

https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/391642/second-lockdown-could-help-uk-cruise-return-says-po-cruises-chief?fbclid=IwAR1n4Emdebr9HSI9hHa1KX5JSlR_OIL3aIVPV_c5ByihXph0OB9StSEGlQg

Although I would prefer to explore independantly it is encouraging to read that P and O would consider lowering the price of excursions.I looked at a cruise on Ventura next March to see if excursions were listed.Some of them sounded ok(not just coach tours!) and they seemed reasonably priced.85% capacity still sounds high to me but Paul Ludlow does suggest starting with a lower % capacity.I might be willing to try if the passenger capacity was 60 or 70% of the usual number

We have a cruise in May on Britannia but even if she sails would not be happy with new restrictions not a holiday to enjoy so we are going to cancel it next week and book a cruise in 2022. Then hopefully a vaccine will be widely given and things back to a relative norm by next August when we are due on Arcadia.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2020 at 6:00 PM, molecrochip said:

Everyone will have their own view on whether to restart cruising however I'm hearing some encouraging talk that the UK Government is set to ease the FCO travel advice on cruising. A number of factors have played into this:

• UK Gov have watched other countries restart
  • The current outbreak on Costa has been effectively controlled.
  • The Canary islands are set to welcome cruise ships back including those from the UK
  • UK cruise companies have now released their procedures in conjunction with CLIA.
  • Commitment to mandatory testing of everyone on board.
  • The first cruise call was made to Portsmouth this week. This is the first call in 7 months.
  • UK Gov now accept the argument that a cruise ship is no worse than a long-haul aircraft.

Public announcement may be a few weeks away but, in the same way that airlines and package holiday companies were briefed in advance about air bridges, I understand cruise companies have/are to be briefed.

If this does happen, expect restart to be phased like Costa. Start with cruises to nowhere, extend to UK ports in Tier 1 areas.

Cruise companies to prepare for initial restart as early as late January.

This date has been gossip for weeks but moves seem to be underway to be ready.

Expect low capacity short scenic cruising to begin with followed by U.K. ports then the Canary Islands. Capacity will be gentle increased.

Initial cruises are expected to be on the bigger ships on new itineraries. There will probably be special conditions attached which allow it to be cancelled by the cruise line at short notice etc.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Expect low capacity short scenic cruising to begin with followed by U.K. ports then the Canary Islands. Capacity will be gentle increased.

Initial cruises are expected to be on the bigger ships on new itineraries. There will probably be special conditions attached which allow it to be cancelled by the cruise line at short notice etc.

Sounds promising moley, if the trial cruises are at very competitive prices we might be tempted to try a Canaries cruise on Iona to replace the Feb one we lost in the last round of cancellations.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Sounds promising moley, if the trial cruises are at very competitive prices we might be tempted to try a Canaries cruise on Iona to replace the Feb one we lost in the last round of cancellations.

At that time indeed, but the current SeaDream cases could effect that decision.

Looks like an own goal!

33 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Us too, particularly if the 'R' rate has gone right down and if some onboard have had the vaccine, even better!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

We were lucky enough to retire early.  Nothing at all booked for 2021, and quite happy to give a short notice cruise a go if the price is right.

• Like 1