UK Gov set to ease measures

molecrochip

3 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

We were lucky enough to retire early.  Nothing at all booked for 2021, and quite happy to give a short notice cruise a go if the price is right.

Similar to us.Nothing booked and don't want to book too far in advance but if cruises re start and I know in advance how they will be different to usual I am quite happy to book one to the Canary Islands.Not keen on just a scenic cruise though.

1 minute ago, ann141 said:

Not keen on just a scenic cruise though.

I could do a scenic cruise, it depends where it was going though, and if it was 'scenic'. Through the Fjords would be nice or something similar. Just as long as there was something to actually see.

Avril

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Sounds promising moley, if the trial cruises are at very competitive prices we might be tempted to try a Canaries cruise on Iona to replace the Feb one we lost in the last round of cancellations.

42 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Us too, particularly if the 'R' rate has gone right down and if some onboard have had the vaccine, even better!

We are hoping that a vaccine will be rolled out in time for us to go on our planned around Britain cruise on Sky Princess in May if it is not cancelled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Cruise companies to prepare for initial restart as early as late January.

This date has been gossip for weeks but moves seem to be underway to be ready.

Expect low capacity short scenic cruising to begin with followed by U.K. ports then the Canary Islands. Capacity will be gentle increased.

Initial cruises are expected to be on the bigger ships on new itineraries. There will probably be special conditions attached which allow it to be cancelled by the cruise line at short notice etc.

I’m not sure how to read this post.

If cruise companies are to start their preparations in late January that would mean an initial restart to sailing in spring, that would seem reasonable.

But if it means an initial restart in January, that would seem incongruous, as we’ve been told that the whole winter is going to be very tough with the virus.

Not sure what to think🤷‍♀️

15 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

No I don't!

The thing with Sea Dream has illustrated the likely scenario when Covid finds its way onboard the ship.

Everyone confined to their cabins and the ship returns immediately to the original embarkation port.

Anybody who wants to cruise in the initial restart period will need to accept the high risk of their cruise ending rather abruptly! 

25 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Reality is not welcomed in some quarters, so anybody who is realistic is dismissed as being ‘pessimistic’ 

So very true.  Here's a direct quote from a statement delivered to the British public last July.  False optimism based on hope rather than facts helps nobody - in fact it's positively dangerous if it engenders an attitude of carelessness:

"It is my strong and sincere hope that we will be able to review the outstanding restrictions and allow a more significant return to normality from November, at the earliest, possibly in time for Christmas."

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

So very true.  Here's a direct quote from a statement delivered to the British public last July.  False optimism based on hope rather than facts helps nobody - in fact it's positively dangerous if it engenders an attitude of carelessness:

"It is my strong and sincere hope that we will be able to review the outstanding restrictions and allow a more significant return to normality from November, at the earliest, possibly in time for Christmas."

Here we are in November, no where near normal, and the person who delivered that statement back in self isolation. You can’t make it up! 

• Like 4

Of course, one of the issues about a cruise to the Canaries, is that the Canarian government have introduced legislation requiring all visitors to have a negative CV19 certificate within 72 hours prior to arrival. 

Of course, by the time any such cruise takes place, this legislation may have been rescinded, but if that is not the case, I wonder if the authorities would allow the P&O "bubble" tours to take place? It's a long way to go if you can't get off under any circumstances. 

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Reality is not welcomed in some quarters, so anybody who is realistic is dismissed as being ‘pessimistic’ 

Very true. I think that we are all so sick and fed up with the loss of our freedoms and the worry over this killer virus that the arrival of some good news re vaccines makes some people think ‘that’s it - problem over’. The reality is though that it’s just news at the moment. The experts are saying that, due to the time it will take to vaccinate us all, plus all the inherent problems in the meantime with the colder weather, it will be 6-12 months before we can begin to resume anything like the lives we had pre COVID-19. Some say it will be years, but I’m more optimistic, although I feel that the chances of it being the first half of next year are very slim indeed. I sincerely hope for the future of the cruise industry (and for those who are desperate to go on a cruise ASAP) that some form of cruising can happen early in 2021, but those of us who would have concerns about cruising that soon, either due to health risks or restrictions, should not be labelled as ‘negative’ or ‘pessimistic’.

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Spike11 said:

Yes but you have to balance the results from this one cruise on a small ship with all the successful MSC and Costs cruises there have been in the Med!

Also  the passengers on Seadream weren't told to wear masks either until after the event. No social distancing or protocols on board according to some passengers.

Avril

• Like 2

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Ann, so glad I am not the only optimistic glass half full poster on the forum.

My glass is three quarters full and has been all summer. 2 cruises booked for 2021 and  Lanzarote in April. February to the Canaries looks good. I will speak to the P&O top brass at the naming ceremony of the wonderful new Iona. Invitation hasn't arrived yet, but should be soon. Lots of places to see and lots of lost time to catch up.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

The thing with Sea Dream has illustrated the likely scenario when Covid finds its way onboard the ship.

The problem was that even though all tests and checks were done before boarding,  but once on board, there was no social distancing or anything. Quote - ''company officials say masks will not be required to be worn on the yacht, thanks to the extensive pre-departue testing designed to create a negative 'bubble''' Under those circumstances I don't think we can hold up SeaDream as a test run as none of the larger cruise lines will be using their reckless ideas.

Avril

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Very true. I think that we are all so sick and fed up with the loss of our freedoms and the worry over this killer virus that the arrival of some good news re vaccines makes some people think ‘that’s it - problem over’. The reality is though that it’s just news at the moment. The experts are saying that, due to the time it will take to vaccinate us all, plus all the inherent problems in the meantime with the colder weather, it will be 6-12 months before we can begin to resume anything like the lives we had pre COVID-19. Some say it will be years, but I’m more optimistic, although I feel that the chances of it being the first half of next year are very slim indeed. I sincerely hope for the future of the cruise industry (and for those who are desperate to go on a cruise ASAP) that some form of cruising can happen early in 2021, but those of us who would have concerns about cruising that soon, either due to health risks or restrictions, should not be labelled as ‘negative’ or ‘pessimistic’.

That largely depends on which experts you believe. We can probably all find an expert to give a date that aligns to our "reality". I quite like Professor John Bells suggestion that life will be back to normal in the Spring. I think the real "reality" is that it's still too soon for anyone to give a well informed answer right now. But it seems like we're edging towards experts being able to give us a more exact timetable of what we can expect to happen and when.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

There seems to have been flaws in Sea Dreams protocols. That said, once identified, they contained the virus.

Now that's what I call diplomacy🙂. I wouldn't say 'flaws', from what I've read, I would call them 'momumental errors' Once on board the protocols, if any, were nonexistant.

Avril

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Also  the passengers on Seadream weren't told to wear masks either until after the event. No social distancing or protocols on board according to some passengers.

Avril

From an article in yesterday's Sunday Times written by someone on board, they seemed to be relying on repeat testing rather than masks, which clearly didn't work. When their correspondent wrote the article she was still quarantined in her cabin, as were others who hadn't yet tested negative, but they had (from memory - sorry, the newspaper is in the recycling bin) a further four positive cases, all linked to the first case.

You don't seem to get an R rate of anywhere near 1 in closed communities and therein lies the problem.

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 2